Sound coming from both headphones and monitors

Author
byrie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/03/28 07:22:37 (permalink)

Sound coming from both headphones and monitors

Hi there,
I've got the UA-25ex audio interface, with Mackie MR5 monitors and am using Sonar 8.
When i plug my headphones in and try recording a track, sound is still coming out of the monitors rather than being bypassed (which surely is the usual thing that happens when the headphones are plugged in??).
Consequently, the track is recording my guitar/vocals but also the sound coming from the monitors including the metronome!!
Am I missing something obvious here? In the past, with other systems, its simple - if the headphones are plugged in, the sound will bypass the monitors, and to playback on monitors I'd simply unplug headphones. Is there something on the interface I should be switching on and off to enable this to happen, or am I gonna have to unplug the monitors each time i want to record (which would be very annoying!).......HELP please!!
This is how the interface looks:
http://www.midi-classics.com/i/p43802.jpg

And this is the back of the monitors:
http://www.mackie.com/hom...s/MR5_Back%20Panel.jpg

Many Thanks....

10 Replies Related Threads

Gilly78
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/03/29 01:20:19 (permalink)
    Yep, the UA25-EX outputs to headphones and speakers at the same time.

Your solutions are to turn off the speakers or turn them down.  I presume the speakers have some kind of volume knob?

If you're running through a mixer you can turn off the monitor switch and monitor through the mixer, though I presume you're just going into the UA25-EX and into your DAW.

If you're speakers are a bit out of reach then I can see this being slightly annoying.  Personally I just turn down the volume on my speakers or turn them off.  Takes a tenth of a second!

My music and some guitar lessons here:

www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

byrie
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/03/29 04:02:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Gilly....... not i wanted to hear of course but cheers anyway!
    Gilly78
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/03/29 21:04:51 (permalink)
    It would have been usefull to have a button on there to cut off ouput to the speakers for sure.  Apart from that small quirk it's a great card!

My music and some guitar lessons here:

www.youtube.com/mikegarveyblues

SSE8.5, Core i5 760 Quad Core, 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600, Win 7 64BIT, Asus P7P55D PRO Mobo, Cakewalk UA25-EX, M-Audio Monitors, Laney L5T, Various pedals, Fender Standard Strat w/Seymour Duncan SSL-1 - SSL-5 Pups, Hamer, Yamaha & Washburn Guitars, M-Audio Oxygen 49 3rd Gen,

daffodilbrigade
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/14 13:42:38 (permalink)
    Proper studio monitors don't have their own volume knob, only a power switch at the back of each monitor. They assume that the hardware is capable enough to have it's own switch and also a proper seperate volume control for phones and speakers You'll find this on everything else but this. I'm returning mine if I don't get any sort of answer from Cakewalk Tech Support soon.
    Harry_O
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/14 14:58:21 (permalink)
    Gilly78

Yep, the UA25-EX outputs to headphones and speakers at the same time.

Your solutions are to turn off the speakers or turn them down.  I presume the speakers have some kind of volume knob?

If you're running through a mixer you can turn off the monitor switch and monitor through the mixer, though I presume you're just going into the UA25-EX and into your DAW.

If you're speakers are a bit out of reach then I can see this being slightly annoying.  Personally I just turn down the volume on my speakers or turn them off.  Takes a tenth of a second!

Well, this is not that simple.  "Takes a tenth of a second" - may be if you wan´t to harm your speakers. Most common set up is active speakers connected directly to the audio insterface output. You can plug  out your active speakers from the interface quickly but in this way you distroy your active speakers in the long run.  And standing up, going to speakers and turning the speakers off from the swtich takes at least 15 seconds, and this kind of "work flow" will be pain in the neck because real work demands constant change between the speaker and the headphone monitoring.  If I put this shortly: the so called monitoring systems of the UA-25 EX is a total mess: low headphone output signal connected to the output routing doesn´t make the Roland Cakewalk user life easy - I think that all UA-25 EX clients should get an extra present from the Roland to compensate their suffering - that would be decent customer relationship. Harry
    Harry_O
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/14 15:09:58 (permalink)
    daffodilbrigade

Proper studio monitors don't have their own volume knob, only a power switch at the back of each monitor. They assume that the hardware is capable enough to have it's own switch and also a proper seperate volume control for phones and speakers You'll find this on everything else but this. I'm returning mine if I don't get any sort of answer from Cakewalk Tech Support soon.

Exately.  I wonder where all the Roland/Cakewalk people are? - I´ve been customer for at least 25 different products in the music branch during 10 last year, most of them have User Forums and the Tech support.  But none of them are that lazy participants to the clients problems than Roland seems to be.  I hope they´ll wake up.  I think that nowdays not any manufacturer can ignore tech support and the power of Internet/social media without seriously damaging company´s competivines and business. Harry
    daffodilbrigade
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/15 01:01:50 (permalink)
    I saw a page where Cakewalk say they won't directly respond in the forum, this place is for us to provide tech support for each other. To contact them there's a link hidden in the support pages which is

http://www.cakewalk.com/S..rt/email.asp?</a>

which obviously doesn't work unless you delete the ?</a>, and that redirects you to

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact.aspx

Which you can navigate through some menus to http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Email/default.asp

Sent a message a couple of days ago, no reply so far, you wouldn't think they'd be busy what with hiding the email support link so well.
    Harry_O
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/15 02:47:20 (permalink)
    daffodilbrigade

I saw a page where Cakewalk say they won't directly respond in the forum, this place is for us to provide tech support for each other. To contact them there's a link hidden in the support pages which is

" rel=nofollow target=_blank>" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://www.cakewalk.com/S..rt/email.asp?</a>

which obviously doesn't work unless you delete the ?</a>, and that redirects you to

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact.aspx

Which you can navigate through some menus to http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Email/default.asp

Sent a message a couple of days ago, no reply so far, you wouldn't think they'd be busy what with hiding the email support link so well.

Yes, thanks, as I refered, I´ve given feedback directly to the tech support and filled their "form" including product number etc.  I got an answer which doesn´t help at all, its totally out of the point (see below their answer).  And what is absurd is that every time you wan´t to elaborate the answer of the Roland tech support, you can´t directoy contact to the support but FILL AGAIN that *** form.  Making the communication that difficult is the best way to avoid contact with the clients.  What comes to these Forums, I think thank a responsible manufacturer hires at least a couple of moderators/semi-experts/"trusted customers" sharing their experience. Harry
    Roland tech support reply: 
    "I don't believe your issue is with Direct Monitoring, rather it's with
    monitoring via the UA-25EX in general. Lets try evening out your
    signal with Direct Monitoring turned off. You can do this by hitting
    the MON SW on the front of the box so the red light is off.

Now you should be monitoring the same signal being transmitted from
    your computer. If the level is too low at this point, try increasing
    your system volume from within the Control Panel.

Make sure your monitors are flat, so if they have a dB boost on the
    back please center them at 0."

post edited by Harry_O - 2010/04/15 04:56:04
    daffodilbrigade
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2010/04/15 15:25:43 (permalink)
    They are kidding, right? There is no system volume for the UA-25EX. As it's an ASIO system the device volume is grayed out as the hardware is meant to have its own volume system in software or hardware.

There's some individual windows driver options for Wave (Basically everything), Software Synth (General midi) and CD Player (obsolete) but they are set to max by default and control the volume of the Phones as well as the Output. So all it can do is make the Phones even quieter..............

I was told to adjust the volume on my speakers! Monitors don't have volume knobs. No speakers that are designed to go into an audio interface have their own volume knob. Arghhhh!
    XTOUCH
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Sound coming from both headphones and monitors 2011/01/20 10:49:40 (permalink)
    Well the question about “how” and then “why” and then “what the ****” gave me also a lot of trouble. I also tried to find out how to route the sound on the headphones only and also Google-ed all the night long but I was disappointed. Even more because I thought a company as Roland can answer or try to answer a question about an own product. Finally I was sick of it and called some people from my place and took me some advices and choose another way to solve the problem. I ordered today the SM Pro Audio Nano Patch Plus - black Monitor Level Controller and two patch cables to connect with. That means that the controller (between the monitors and the audio interface) will turn off the sound (mute button) or lower it as I wish. I am using Presonus-StudioOne (as Presonus have a Steinberg Cubase background but much easier) and the Cakewalk is seen in output with just one main, which means I have no chance to route only on the headphones. Even if I tell Presonus I want another output he is just amplifying the main. Hope to get soon my controller so I can finally start and do my thing as I wish. But “here it comes now” if I knew that the Cakewalk quality is not approaching my request I would send it right away back and never buy a thing from Roland, as they made me give more money away, and they even don’t try to find a good or logical solution.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1