Is Dim Pro outdated?

Author
Keyborg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2010/06/18 16:35:23 (permalink)

Is Dim Pro outdated?

Just upgraded from project 5 v2 Dxi version. A little while before that I've been playing with Refx Nexus, and Dim Pro seems lackluster in comparison. Sort of disappoint in my decision to get that over something else(like an effect plugin or towards monitor speakers or headphones)

Not saying it's a bad plugin, but outdated seems to be an appropriate term for it.

Any word of a new plugin in the works for Cakewalk. If there is, would people who bought past cakewalk products get a discount for it?

15 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/18 20:59:41 (permalink)
    Outdated?  What constitutes outdated?  The included sounds? I've never used Nexus to be able to compare.
    Keyborg
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/18 23:18:03 (permalink)
    techead

Outdated?  What constitutes outdated?  The included sounds? I've never used Nexus to be able to compare.

Yes, the sounds that come out of the box. 

Are the expansion packs much better? Or is it the fact that the sounds in dim pro need more processing than other sounds?
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/18 23:52:20 (permalink)
    Yea, I was playing my minimoog.  It sounds so 70s.  Back to the closet for it.

Dimpro is a sampler - it plays whatever you put into it.  It has about 8 gigs of sounds that comes w/ the latest iteration w/ expansion pack 1 & 2, and tho they are heavy on "realistic acoustic" sounds there are lots of pads, synths and just plain weird sounds.  I'm not familiar w/ nexus, but a lot of newer synths of acoustics have bigger libraries, but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

The great thing about DimPro is there are plenty of parameters to play w/ for each element, and 4 elements to play w/.  I usually tweak a preset patch to get it to better fit my idea.

I'm not sure if Cake is going to evergreen DimPro since they came out w/ rapture, which is more of a synth rather than rompler.  That may be more of what you are looking for if any branch of electronica is what you are after.  Also, Cake sent out a questionaire about Rapture 2 to see what people want in the next synth.  They've had a couple of clunkers - beatscape was imperfect but a good idea.  I'm sure René has something in the works.  However, I do wish they would release some more sounds for DimPro since it is still a good sample playback synth.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 00:19:22 (permalink)
    I was not aware of reFX - Nexus but I had a quick look on their website and it looks like it is not designed to occupy the same space as Dim Pro so direct comparisons between the two are difficult.

To quote the blurb on Nexus.

"NEXUS2 explores new sonic territory delivering complex, ultra-fat, contemporary soundstorms"

"NEXUS2 features a world-class 32 step arpegiator with note-transposition, an agile and simple 32 step trance gate, industry leading reverb licensed from Arts Acoustic, and a sophisticated modulation-matrix that will help you sculpt the sound."

That is not Dimension Pro !! Dim pro is a good source of realistic and bread and butter sounds, I would not be without it, even though having Independence and Kontakt has reduced the amount it use.

Also Nexus is not cheap at $350, and over $2000 for the pack including all the expansions.

As AT said Rapture is closer, you may also want to take a look at Z3ta which is pretty cheap now leans in a similar direction to Nexus.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    benjamincharles
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 03:32:12 (permalink)
    No way...I use DimPro and Rapture (full) in almost every score I do.  I am just starting out writing music for documentaries and I hope to one day compose works for PBS, cable TV, etc. - about 75% of my portfolio features one or both of those VSTi's.

These two synths are extremely powerful, imo. 

Ben
    post edited by benjamincharles - 2010/06/19 03:33:24
    Keyborg
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 05:24:48 (permalink)
    Was checking out the cakewalk store and they have a digital something library expansion 12, Modern Sounds. Isn't that new sounds for the dimension? 

Just trying to justify my purchase here.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 06:23:00 (permalink)
    Keyborg

Was checking out the cakewalk store and they have a digital something library expansion 12, Modern Sounds. Isn't that new sounds for the dimension? 

Look on the Digital Sound Factory site if you want more details. There is an audio demo there too.
    http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/volume-12-dsf-ultramodern-synthesizers/product_info.php/products_id/350

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    benjamincharles
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 13:34:13 (permalink)
    Nice demo!

Basic info: Win7 32 bit, Sonar 8.5 PE, MaxMSP 5, MOTIF6,
    EMU Proteus 1/2/3, ADAM A7, DAC1, Alphatrack

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 19:08:02 (permalink)
    Are you the guy who started this same thread at KVR? Dim Pro and Nexus are two completely different instruments. It's not logical to compare them.  You could own both and experience very little overlap.

You do Trance and like presets? Then use Nexus.  You do other types of music and want instruments like the Pocket Orchestra and more tweakable sounds then use Dim Pro.  Use them side by side and they would compliment each other well.
    Teksonik
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 19:15:14 (permalink)
    benjamincharles

No way...I use DimPro and Rapture (full) in almost every score I do.  I am just starting out writing music for documentaries and I hope to one day compose works for PBS, cable TV, etc. - about 75% of my portfolio features one or both of those VSTi's.

These two synths are extremely powerful, imo. 

Ben

Man I know this is way off topic and apologies for that but if you're doing work for video, tv etc then you've got to check out Wusikstation if you haven't already.  I've gotten some sounds out of her that would be perfect for film etc. Along with Dim Pro and Rapture, Wusikstation's wavesequencers are a perfect match.......................sorry back on topic.................

benjamincharles
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/19 21:31:29 (permalink)
    As a matter of fact, it's on my wishlist ;)  For tax season I splurged on the SoundToys bundle, worth every penny!! But yup, I agree about Wusik....it sounds awesome!

Ben

Basic info: Win7 32 bit, Sonar 8.5 PE, MaxMSP 5, MOTIF6,
    EMU Proteus 1/2/3, ADAM A7, DAC1, Alphatrack

Keyborg
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/20 00:31:28 (permalink)
    Teksonik

Are you the guy who started this same thread at KVR? Dim Pro and Nexus are two completely different instruments. It's not logical to compare them.  You could own both and experience very little overlap.

You do Trance and like presets? Then use Nexus.  You do other types of music and want instruments like the Pocket Orchestra and more tweakable sounds then use Dim Pro.  Use them side by side and they would compliment each other well.

Yes, I'm that guy. small world, lol
    Teksonik
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/20 07:32:42 (permalink)
    'Tis indeed.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/21 13:34:56 (permalink)
    Keyborg

Any word of a new plugin in the works for Cakewalk.

While DimPro and Rapture are different insturments, there's a great deal of commonality between them.  In many cases (perhaps most cases), you could probably get the same sound out of Rapture that you can out of DP, using the same samples and SFZ files.

CW recently sent out an email poll about what folks would like to see in a new Rapture.  If they go down this path, it might make a lot of sense to consolodate DimPro and Rapture into a unified "supersynth".

On the other hand, there are a lot of very annoyed folks here who just want CW to provide a a 64-bit Rapture that doesn't crash before anyone starts talking about new features.

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Is Dim Pro outdated? 2010/06/21 16:37:31 (permalink)
    you can't compare the 2

check the release dates.. you'll find Dim Pro was released... 2-3 years? earlier

also the prices and nexus uses add on libs?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1