Vandal Guitar Amp Sim

Author
jimkleban
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2010/06/21 07:47:50 (permalink)

Vandal Guitar Amp Sim

So,

I have them all and recently purchased the VANDAL amp sim (less than $200). All I want to tell you is that this is the BEST sounding amp sim out there.  It doesn't recreate vintage amps and gives you many ways to create your own "virtual amp model". And what it does is give you the ability to make your guitar tracks sound awesome.

According to the author (Sasha), this is NOT based on IRs rather physical modelling and as such, the entire program is like 12 MBs.  There are enough, intuitive parameters to create any guitar sound you like.  The one area where VANDAL needs to expand is in the PEDAL department, but there are enough there now to do some serious guitar work.

And, VANDAL is NOT only for METAL.. you can get all types of sounds (CLEAN, GRUNGY, etc) with this software and your guitar track(s) sit in the mix very nicely.

I am not bashing the other Amp Sims out there but this one is worth a check out. You can even download a fully working DEMO that lasts 7 days. I tried the demo and within 15 minutes, did the purchase of this software.  It is THAT GOOD and you won't be disappointed.

Of course, like all AMP SIMS, this will not replace a well recorded guitar amp in a nice room with great mics, but it will improve the sound of your guitar tracks in your mixes.

I use home made DI'ed guitar samples without any amps or effects on the samples, so having a guitar amp sim that leapfrogs the competition like VANDAL does, was a very nice surprise.

It is a 32 bit plugin for now and works very nicely with WIN 7 x64 and SONAR 8.5.3.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)

19 Replies Related Threads

убийца
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/21 08:20:12 (permalink)
    >"All I want to tell you is that this is the BEST sounding amp sim out there. "

I have to disagree. I find it completely mediocore. TH1, studio devil and amplitube3 are far superior, FAR superior. Plus vandal crashes so much that it's infuriating... as a result, I don't use it at all.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/21 09:08:11 (permalink)
    I've been following Vandal for a while. I've not tried it yet because I won't be forking out for a sim in the foreseeable future but I'll keep an eye on its development and reviews. It's mainly positive so far.
    jimkleban
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/21 18:41:33 (permalink)
    Y6...

Of course "the best" is totally subjective as is your disagreement. I offer my opinion for other peeps who may respect such opinion.  For those who don't know me or disagree, I am totally in agreement with your opinion.

Jim

PS - I have and own all the AT products (AT3, FENDER and AMPEG) as well as TH1.. I like them both as well.
    post edited by jkleban - 2010/06/21 18:44:06

www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    jshep0102
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/21 22:26:02 (permalink)
    And for metal, Revalver III stomps a mudhole in all of them ( I have GR3, AT3, and TH-1) - especially chugging Rectifier/5150 type crunch and the JSX for lead. I use other fx (UAD for Roland chorus/flange and a couple different delays) and Redwire IR's, but the amps kill the metal competition IMHO.

SHEP-ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Axe Fx Ultra - SPLAT 2017.2
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/21 23:48:08 (permalink)
    What other amp sims have you tried that you base this opinion on?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/22 00:05:48 (permalink)
    I second.... the best amp sim I've tried. Can't wait till I can afford it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    убийца
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/22 11:03:47 (permalink)
    jkleban

Y6...

Of course "the best" is totally subjective as is your disagreement. I offer my opinion for other peeps who may respect such opinion.  For those who don't know me or disagree, I am totally in agreement with your opinion.

Jim

PS - I have and own all the AT products (AT3, FENDER and AMPEG) as well as TH1.. I like them both as well.

let's get real about vandal: the fx pedals are hokey, worse than the worst of the danelectro. there's a brute force feel (in relation to the programming) that is just rank amateur. they have no feeling, so spirit, just brute force ugly. it's like they were programmed in synthedit. yuck.

removing the pedals from the equation and just using the amp, the distortion sound synthized. there's some kind of band pass filter vibe that make vandal sound cheap... and no matter what i do i can't get rid of that tone. it feels dead.

i was going to point out a few good presets, but i went thru them and nothing stood out. perhaps you'd like to point one or two presets out that you feel deserve you unrestrained praise of "THE BEST" sounding amp sim.

and now that i've refamiliarized with vandal, i've changed my evaluation of it: i hate it. it sounds bad, not mediocre, BAD. i compared it to a few more amp sims: mellowhead sounds better, acmebargig shred sounds better, kuassa sounds better, revalver sounds better, guitar rig v1,2,3,4 all sound better, even waves gtr sounds better.

the best amp sim is studio devil virtual guitar amp (v1.4). this amp sim sounds exactly like a real amp. its response is faster than any other amp sim, so playing it is more enjoyable. and its tone has bite. no synth sound at all. yes, there are amp sims that sound better at one particular style, like revalver for that peavey metal sound, but overall the studio devil is the best. best sound, best response, best tone, best feel, best everything. the successor to this amp sim, StudioDevil Amp Modeler Pro, has too much crap in it and it lost some of the tone & response time, so it's not as good.

2nd best is amplitube3. i'm not a big fan of the previous amplitube sims, but AT3 really kicks butt. some presets are epic. i applaud them for going the extra mile to come up with some really great presets... only AT3 and (2nd) guitar rig have produced some damn nice presets. everyone else, meh, not so much.

so defend your exorbitant, exaggerated opinion: give me 1 or 2 vandal presets you find exceptional and i'll easily find several other amp sims that slay vandal to its knees. here's the perfect analogy to vandal: 4front truepianos. there's a bunch of tonedeaf fanboys who just love it to death, but A/B that vile crap with a sampled piano and it is instantly apparent just how bad trupianos is. it sounds synthy, the tone is warbly, thin, weak and just poor. everything which can be said about vandal too.

and you assertion that "it's just your opinion" is bullcrap. anyone can pick out the better sims, if they're compared properly. make the test a blind test and even you will vote vandal down. i say that with confidence because vandal is that bad.  

jimkleban
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/22 19:06:35 (permalink)
    Y6,

I don't want to get into any pissing match over "the best".  You have an opinion, which I respect, if you disagree, fine, I feel no need to bash anyone (waste of time).

Jim

PS - I don't use presets and as such, VANDAL sits great in my mixes. But, for a benchmark, I don't do GUITAR music, rather music that has guitars in it and don't need an in your FACE guitar sound. If I did do guitar music, I wouldn't bother using an AMP SIM.

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    убийца
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 05:15:15 (permalink)
    ugh. seriously where do you get off uber-hyping this crappy amp sim when you don't even care about guitars all that much. c'mon, admit it, you do techno and you don't even play guitar, you just pump midi into RealStrat or LPC and route the output thru vandal. 

actually this all makes perfect sense because vandal has the same vibe of a real guitar amp as an 808 beatbox has vibe of a real drumkit. LOL. if you were to put in an "in your face" (as you call it) guitar on your loops, it would frighten all your rob papen arpeggiated 8bit sounding synths, stomp on their entrails and reduce them to sounding like 4bits. and that's why you love vandal, because it's weak and wimpy digital synthy sound doesn't have enough testosterone to stand up and assert itself. you like it because it sucks.

it's all so simple: just state your prejudices up front so we know where you're coming from and this misunderstanding can be completely avoided. if you had put "vandal is great for techno" i wouldn't have even clicked on the link, but when your guitar ignorant ass speaks as if you're THE authority on guitar sounds for guitarists, you certainly had to know it would provoke an indignant response. troll. maybe you're a paid shill from magix, since your post had the feel of a corporate astroturfing effort. you know like everything on kvraudio forum, where someone spammed a nearly identical post as yours. it's pretty tedious to hear the constant phony praise on kvr as those whores talk up every new product of their advertisers. it's the only forum i know where the advertisers outnumber the other users 2 to 1, and outpost them 10 to 1. don't turn this forum into kvr.
    jimkleban
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 06:39:26 (permalink)
    y6,

When it comes to me, you don't know what you are talking about.

Jim

www.lldom.com

Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    Splat (latest version)
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 07:17:43 (permalink)
    jkleban

y6,

Jim

One only has to look at your blog to see the comments about Techno were way wide of the mark. I am look forward to having a good browse and listen.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 13:20:10 (permalink)
    jkleban

y6,

Jim

Jim - very cool blog/site. Talk about focus and passion!

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 13:39:48 (permalink)
    No wonder people hesitate to post here.  Wow!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/23 23:27:50 (permalink)
    Well Y6...obviously you don't have a clue how to set-up a guitar sound if all you can do is pull -up  presets out of a guitar package. Vandal is designed for Sound design that is specific to guitar amp modeling. Sasha isn't some college kid throwing together what he learned in his junior level computer lab class. He's one of a handful of what I consider master craftsmen at digital audio design. Sounds like you have one sound in your knoggen and that's some over processed hyped shred metal wanna be sound. You're coming off as both clueless and a troll.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/24 04:04:34 (permalink)
    One only has to look at your blog to see the comments about Techno were way wide of the mark. I am look forward to having a good browse and listen.

Good luck ..........................

I tried to get demo and I just kept downloading corrupt files with missing dll's
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/25 13:34:08 (permalink)
    Y6, it's fine to have your own strong opinions, but you're really gonna have to reign in your rhetoric if you don't want to get banned. Just disagree and move on.

If Jim's post was indeed astroturf, then I'd be right there with you. I hate that. But I'd want to be sure of it before letting the attack dogs loose.

Go read Jim's blog to get an idea of whose head it is that you're trying to bite off, then come back here and apologize to him publicly.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2010/06/25 13:39:45

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Ozz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 332
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/27 14:55:23 (permalink)
    Well, after all the drama this thread brought on, I figured I had to try it.  And, after playing around with it for an hour or so, I think it has some pretty good tones (Both clean and dirty).  I'm sure that giving it a thorough work out would yield even better results (just from familiarity of the program).  I plan on using it for the next 7 days though to see what happens.

Overall, though, I still prefer Amplitube 3 (which I didn't care for all that much at first, btw) by a pretty wide margin.  However, your results may vary!

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.
    Clint Swank
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/30 12:31:37 (permalink)
     I just bought Amplitube 3 after checking it out for 15 minutes.  Sounds great, has tons of sims, good effects, great Boogie and Fender sounds.  (I don't do English.) I have NI 4 too--nice tweeds.  And Studio Devil, which I used exclusively for a while, and I like that too (especially the chorus/delay sounds).

I won't be buying Vandal.  After checking  out the demo for a while, it seemed like a metal thing, too brash, not at all subtle, very limited, reminded me of Amplitube Live 2.  And I got that from Cakewalk for 20 bucks.  Maybe if Vandal was 20 bucks. Otherwise, nah.

tunes:  http://www.soundclick.com/ClintSwank
    HP 1520t I7 3770 8GIG ram Seagate 180g & 1TB extHD 7200 RPM, Zoom R-16 USB int, Fishman Triple Play guitar-midi interface, Alesis RA 300 power amp, Audix 1A monitors, Frankenstrat, old Martin, Godin LGXT
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Vandal Guitar Amp Sim 2010/06/30 14:25:21 (permalink)
    I don't particularly need another amp sim, but y6's vituperative post makes me wonder..........I may demo it just to see........whether I like it or not, Jim is certainly entitled to his opinion, for crying out loud

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1