Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review.

Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2010/06/21 09:43:19 (permalink)

Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review.

Just letting people know about a mini review going on here. Read about this convolution reverb plugin in Sound on Sound Issue April 2010. It is called 'Reverberate' by Liquidsonics. Their website is:

www.liquidsonics.com
You can download the plugin and use it for a month. The review was very favourable and here is why:

It only costs about $50 US

It features two complete stereo reverb engines as opposed to one. And two is better than one. Not only when they are doing similar IR's but also when they are not. Top end units like Lexicon had and used two engines.

IR's are more easily edited and can be modified more so than a lot of current Convolution reverbs.

The EQ after the summed reverbs can have multi parametric bands doing moveable sweeps (controlled by LFO's)  right through the impulse response time. This is not normal for an eq after a reverb effect. This is very interesting.

Chorus modules are provided after each reverb engine and after the combined sounds. All three can be programmed independently. Hearing these choruses on the reverbs is a very interesting sound and effect.  Some of the best hardware reverbs also featured modulated reverbs. It can sound seriously lush and expensive! Also out of this world too good for strangeness in ambient textures etc..

This reverb can not only do great stand alone reverbs and it comes with many IR's but it gets into some very interesting territory of complete movement and modulation taking place within the reverb itself.
Very economical on CPU usage even for two engines. Both running is less than average single IR engine.

This is not for everyone and all types of music , but it is good for those wanting to add interest to say a very interesting synth sound and now the reverb can get seriously involved in the liquid movement effect as well.
Perfect Space is also a great plugin and you can create some very nice spaces from that. Combined with something like ‘Reverberate’ and you have just boosted your reverb capabilities immensely.

BTW Reverberate makes Z3ta+ and Rapture just sound fantastic.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/06/21 10:01:55

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

18 Replies Related Threads

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/21 10:55:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, for posting that :)

Yes, very interesting, all for just $50.(us).  Definitely worth checking out!

I wonder if the EQ and Chorus (along with reverb) parameters can also be controlled via automation? (I would think so, I'll read up on that).  I could use Reverberate right about now :lol: (I was just tweaking a middle part in a song, lush ambient/swirly sweeps would be nice).

-

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/21 18:38:18 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

This is not for everyone and all types of music , but it is good for those wanting to add interest to say a very interesting synth sound and now the reverb can get seriously involved in the liquid movement effect as well.
    Given your experience, if you say it's good, it's got to be worth checking out.  And at 50 bucks (US), it's almost a no brainer deal.  You forgot to mention that it's 32 and 64 bit, for those who care about such things.

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/21 19:29:17 (permalink)
    Yeah that's in no brainer territory. The price point is so good
    Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/21 19:33:35 (permalink)
    Yeah, I picked it up a few months back.  It really seems to outclass a lot of the competitors and without really costing much in either CPU or cash.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/21 19:42:45 (permalink)
    There is a 64 bit version (PC Only) so yes we have 64 bit if you need it.

Out of interest I have found it interesting to say choose a tight room but get into some nice chorusing and applying this to say a clean guitar sound. The chorus you get this way is different from the standard chorus approach. So you can see it as a chorus effect as well as a reverb effect.

The chorus like this is more vague and distant and liquid and just less out of tune and is moving nicely behind the dry guitar sound. Also the fact you can get some interesting movement into the EQ's adds to the richness of it at times. All of these LFO's can be set at different rates for effects that don't repeat themselves often cycle wise.

I also have found that sometimes it is hard to get a normal digital reverb to sit well on a twangy guitar. No matter what you do you always seem to end up with twangy reverb as well. eg Lexicon plugin inside Sonar. You have to fiddle with EQ's etc. (BTW I love the sharpness of the Lexicon sometimes on vocals so it has a great place)

But Reverberate sounds really nice on twangy guitars for some reason. It does not seem to get bothered by the sound going in so much but seems to create this warm sounding reverb behind. Gentle chorusing on the longer reverbs also sound great.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/22 04:25:38 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff,

I've noticed it appear quite regularly on the KVR newsletter, but never realised it cost so little so I kind of overlooked it.

On that info though I'll definitely check out the demo.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/06/22 04:26:47

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/22 08:10:08 (permalink)
    OK Jeff,

gold star!!!

I just bought IK Classik Studio Reverb because I am realizing that my favorite Convolution reverb does indeed lack that sparkle on the tail.

The timeliness of your post has gotten my attention :-) and I'm going to give Liquid Sonics a try.

Thanks very much!!!

best regards,
    mike

Jeff Evans
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 19:53:15 (permalink)
    Just a bit of an update about this great plugin. Firstly in my original post I forgot to mention that as there are two complete stereo IR engines the output can be made to modulate or sweep between them under the control of an LFO. This is also very interesting because it allows for the reverbs to change smoothly and continuously which is hard to do with any hardware reverb.

Also they have just updated this plugin now to include a host of delay lines now on each IR and also the combined output. This is only just going to add much more versality to a great plugin.

I have been playing with this plugin a lot lately and it just sounds beautiful. There is no doubt about it. Once you get into subtle modulation and chorus effects on the reverbs you will never go back. It does explain why a lot of much more expensive reverbs have that sound. It is due to multiple engines and modulation of the reverbs.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 20:39:35 (permalink)
    I've been using Liquidsonics for the last 6 months and I concur, outstanding reverb and feature set. The dual engine rivals the low end TC Electronics and Lexicon MX hardware series.

Here's another one, for pitch shifting http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=267 which is very useful for background vocals and inexpensive too.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 21:45:17 (permalink)
    I've been using it for a little while now, and it and IK's Classik are my "go-to" reverbs for general use.

Once you have it, you'll want some nice impulse responses for it. There are many good, free IRs available if you search for them.

http://irlibrary.org/ has a lot of IRs of varying quality and usefulness

http://www.samplicity.com/download/ Samplicity sells IRs, but you might like them better. Try these free ones first.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 22:31:17 (permalink)
    so....
    wadda ya think this compares to a $2k hardware reverb...  PCM80 for example, etc??

or let me put it differently..
    If...IF they were the same price, which would you choose?  and I realize one is a plug and of course the other is hardware... leave that out of the equation.
    post edited by mixmkr - 2010/06/25 22:33:12

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

mixmkr
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 22:35:24 (permalink)
    Middleman

The dual engine rivals the low end TC Electronics and Lexicon MX hardware series.

except those units aren't especially great units...  good for small, live PA setups maybe, etc???

StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44

Middleman
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/25 22:55:24 (permalink)
    Yes I agree, they are low end units, but most ITB plug ins don't even rival the low end hardware in my experience. That Liquidsonics is at parity or possibly a little better is why it's impressive.

Regarding the PCM80 you might come close with Altiverb but most likely the new Lexicon software ($1400) will get you in the ball park. At equal price, I would always choose the hardware, software has about 50% of its original resale value over years and zero value over 5+ years or more.

mixmkr
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/26 01:20:33 (permalink)
    hhmm... I think even my Sonar Perfect Space smokes over all my cheapie reverbs...  and I've got a pile that might get me $100 ea on Ebay.

I actually like my Alesis wedge, which I have a couple.  To me they're the best of the cheapies.

maybe my ears are missing something.  All my other rack mount ..Alesis, ART, etc...  they all sound really fake.... nice (in a way) but fake.

I remember buying my first Alesis XTiC.  I was in hog heaven.

liquidsonics
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/26 06:31:35 (permalink)
    Hi guys, it's heartening to read such warm comments, big thanks. 

I thought I'd chime in as I'd noticed Samplicity got a mention - there is some news that they're doing some M7 presets with the ERs and tails captured individually, I think this is quite big because then we'll be able to get decent control over the different parts of a set of sampled reverbs using convolution, this has been missing way too long now. Using Reverberate to add chorus, delays and envelopes to the tails and ERs individually will add some interesting creative possibilities here.

Middleman
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/06/26 10:31:23 (permalink)
    Hey Matt, thanks for dropping in. Great software.

Jeff Evans
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/07/07 17:54:14 (permalink)
    Time to talk about the Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin again!

I have done a demo for Liquidsonics demonstrating the plugin. Actually we are going to refine it and it will probably end up on thier website. But in the meantime it is up on my myspace. Here: www.myspace.com/jeffevansmusic

Go to the player on the right and scroll the list down to the bottom. The 'Reverberate' demo is down there and I cannot change the song order for some reason.

I have done an acoustic jazzy tune there and used it to create some nice tight drum room sounds and piano and guitar effects etc.

Good news too. There is a new update on their website free to owners and it incorporates some pretty snazzy delay lines now. Also Matt is working on some exciting new impulse responses to add your collection and they are going to be available soon.

www.liquidsonics.com

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Liquid Sonics 'Reverberate' Plugin is very good! Mini review. 2010/07/09 20:27:05 (permalink)
    Great demo Jeff, and thanks. I love it, best reverb on my system now.

Me

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1