Learning How to Mix

Author
dvgeetar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2010/06/25 22:05:17 (permalink)

Learning How to Mix

Hello everybody,
I have a question for anyone out there who can answer this effectively. When I go to mix a project of mine, I always put in a reference track, something I know that sounds good. In the middle of mixing, when i feel like I need to compare my project versus the reference track, the reference track always sounds WAY better than my mix. For example right now my reference track is a Paramore song, mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. It's an acoustic song that I absolutely love. So what i'll do for example is try to get my acoustic guitars to sound very similar to that of the Paramore song but, I fail every single time. So I was just wondering if there is any mixing tutorials or series out there that is very in-depth on the matter. I just feel like everytime I go mix I have no idea what I'm doing, it's just one big guessing game. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Dan

26 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/26 08:05:47 (permalink)
    I learned how to mix by mixing.

I encourage you to continue while you focus on improving your listening skills... eventually you'll get a "feel" for what you want to hear.

You just need to do it long enough to get a real feel for what changes when you make a small adjustment.

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/06/26 08:53:42

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/26 08:42:52 (permalink)
    Good books, and lots of practise. Try starting of with Mixing Audio, by Roey Izhaki.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/26 09:23:04 (permalink)
    Comparing your mixes to a pro mix will help... but it can also cause a lot of grief. They get to mix on state of the art gear, and have years of experience before they ever get to mix the big names....

The best advice I can give is to listen to the pro mixes and try to figure out what they're doing with EQ and levels.  Aim for that in your music.  Test your music mixes by placing a couple of your songs on a CD with theirs.... in no particular order. Play it... if your song sounds "up to their standard" as far as volume, mix and eq, you're on the right track.... if however your song is somehow "lacking" compared to the pro mixes... then you need to figure out why.

Pro sounding mixes take time, lots of trial and error and that only comes by doing it...over and over and over.......

What you're trying to shoot for is referred to as "Broadcast Quality"... and that is possible on home studio equipment.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    NW Smith
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/26 10:31:44 (permalink)
    While it can be beneficial to compare your mix to a your favorite "pro" mix, keep in mind that the pro mix has already been mastered. 
     Trying to get your mix to sound like an already mastered project can cause a lot of grief. Especially if you try comparing the 2 mixes with an A/B approach.   The already mastered disc will be louder - if you try getting your mix at the same level, you will likely cut down on your headroom and introduce excess noise to your mix.

I think the best thing you can do is use the "pro" disc as a reference for the type of sounds you're trying to get and then do your best to mix your tracks on your own.  Try to get the sound you want, while leaving a lot of headroom for mastering.

BTW  "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski is an excellent book!

My Website:
    http://www.marwoodwilliams.com
    My Music on Bandcamp:
    http://marwoodwilliams.bandcamp.com

Equipment: Intel Core i3, 3.2 GHz, Sonar Platinum, Ramsa WR-S4416 Mixer,  Focusrite  Scarlett 18i6
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/26 19:30:50 (permalink)
    Rent this video for $25. It's not a complete tutorial, it's cheesy and incomplete, but every student of mixing should watch it at least once. If you really like it, buy a copy for $150 - the money will go to a deserving guy who's done a lot to educate up-and-coming mixers.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 08:23:26 (permalink)
    dvgeetar,

Do you use any buss compression or limiting on your mix?  A well mastered pro track will have some support by tasteful compression and limiting applied to the master buss. 

If you lack experience, your mixes will always sound a bit thinner than pro recording because of things like application of eq (cut), track/buss compression, etc...

With patience and time, you will get better.  Learn what you can by reading book, renting the video suggested above, etc...

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 10:23:16 (permalink)
    All the ideas suggested are good ones.
    For my input, i bought David Gibson's book "The Art Of Mixing."  It clearly describes how to place sounds in a 3-D soundscape using volume/compression, EQ, panning, and reverbs/delays/chorus spacial techniques.  It helped improve my recordings more than anything (other than possibly the Sonar Power books by Scott Garrigus).

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 12:21:00 (permalink)
    Post your mix in the "Songs" forum and it will be evaluated and suggestions will be made on how to mix it better.  It's one of the best educations you can get and it's free.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 12:24:15 (permalink)
    mattplaysguitar

Try starting of with Mixing Audio, by Roey Izhaki.
    +100.  This is an extraordiary book for a beginner, and even veterans will no doubt learn from it.  Plan to read it several times.  You'll likely get more out of it the second time than the first ... I know I did.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 15:33:40 (permalink)
    One thing I always suggest, if you are doing your own material, is put the reference track in before you start tracking, and concentrate most of your efforts on learning to track really well. It's very easy to get the feeling that mixing is about taking heroic steps to mold raw materials into a song. And, of course, it is often is because the mixer didn't record the material and therefore he has to take whatever he gets and turn it into something.

But if you are recording yourself, then you have the opportunity to record it optimally to begin with. So decide what you want the song to sound like and try to track it so that it sounds as much like that as possible. A well recorded song won't really require much mixing, unless of course you are going for something really artificial and want to do all kinds of automation and effects. If you watch someone like Daniel Lanois mixing some of his recorded songs. He's not doing much because he doesn't need to. He's learned how to track very well, and he has musicians who can play it like it should sound.

Anyway, that's my advice. I put almost all my efforts into learning how to track these days. If you start with great sounding material, and learn each time how you could have recorded this or that piece so that it would have blended better into the overall sound, then you won't need to have hundreds of plugins and kind of wreck the audio quality in order to get something righteous. Learning how to track is pretty much as hard as learning how to mix I guess, but for the self recorder it's the more productive endeavor.

Not that you shouldn't learn to mix, but it should be the 'tweak it up a little more' type of mixing, not the deal where it doesn't even become a real tune until well into the mix. We have lots of disadvantages as self-recorders, so we should take the advantages we do have.

And of course composition, which comes even before the tracking. A good composition can almost mix itself as long as it's played well because everything is written to complement the song from the ground up. Listen a lot of what you think are great songs and try to figure out how the parts fit together. You can bet that on most any great album a lot of time was spent working on the compositions, and how the parts will fit together and not step on each other.

post edited by droddey - 2010/06/28 15:38:09

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/28 22:27:35 (permalink)
    I suppose you just have to do it and not be afraid of the results and try to learn on the way.

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/06/30 13:19:29 (permalink)
    +1 to everything said earlier. Not knowing what kind of gear you use in what kind of circumstances I want to add:

"I try to get my acoustic guitars to sound very similar to that of the Paramore song but, I fail every single time"

Do you have recording gear and instruments comparable to what Paramore uses? Tens of thousands of dollars or mics and guitars?
    To get an acoustic guitar track sound like Paramores one, i bet you need something like a few thousand dollars Martin guitar and acoustically treated studio and top notch microphones. Also the acoustic guitar needs a different sets of strings for different sounds.

It's OK to compare the overall balance and sound of the reference track, but if you want to get the very same or almost the same results you'll need almost the same quality of gear and studio (+ the know-how).

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/07/01 02:00:12 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

+1 to everything said earlier. Not knowing what kind of gear you use in what kind of circumstances I want to add:

"I try to get my acoustic guitars to sound very similar to that of the Paramore song but, I fail every single time"

Do you have recording gear and instruments comparable to what Paramore uses? Tens of thousands of dollars or mics and guitars?
    To get an acoustic guitar track sound like Paramores one, i bet you need something like a few thousand dollars Martin guitar and acoustically treated studio and top notch microphones. Also the acoustic guitar needs a different sets of strings for different sounds.

It's OK to compare the overall balance and sound of the reference track, but if you want to get the very same or almost the same results you'll need almost the same quality of gear and studio (+ the know-how).

I would partially disagree with this, to some extent, at least for acoustic guitar. Yes, to get it exactly the same, you probably do need that same gear and especially the same room. But you would be amazed at how damn close you can get sometimes with pretty average gear. It's tricky, sometimes you can do it with ordinary gear, but some sounds are also really difficult to emulate.

I had a listen to the acoustic guitar on Only Exception. This is a pretty generic acoustic sound. It shouldn't take too much to get this kind of sound. To really get the polished, clear, crisp and vibrant edge, you need good guitar, mics, preamp and room. It is significant, but it doesn't mean you can't get really close to the same sound, but with less quality, by using cheaper gear. Have a listen to that guitar. First thing to notice is it's HEAVILY compressed. You need to know a bit about compression to get that sound without really screwing it up. In my opinion, they screwed it up a bit. But maybe that was the mastering. I don't think so though. Some people hate that compressed sound on acoustic. I love it, if it's in the right context. Next, you need the right gauge of strings. I would take a guess at a light-medium gauge. The pick, very important. Sounds like a pretty light pick to me. Probably no more than .5mm. Either that or it's a little heavier and played very lightly, but it still sounds really light to me. I would probably use about a .4mm if I were trying to get that sound. As for the mics, they sound very smooth. Lots of clarity. They sound expensive. The high end is really clear. Could be a tube or solid, don't know. I say mics because that is probably stereo micing there. Likely an X-Y. Either that or careful use of reverb. I don't think any subtle delay or double tracking was used for the stereo spread. Eqed to cut most of the low end. Maybe a highpass to get rid of the lows, and then a low shelving to bring down the mids a little. Mic placement would have had a big impact in the spectral balance too, however.

As for emulating that sound yourself, you need to tell us what you are doing and using, and give us some audio samples.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/07/01 15:01:20 (permalink)
    I fully agree with what you wrote, matplaysguitar, but as the OP gave no hints about his gear, studio and amount of experience, I wanted to emphasize the fact, that owning Sonar isn't enough.

It may well be  the OP has skills and experience a lot, so my teacherlike stiff forefinger was wasted energy :o)

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    JamieC
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/07/25 07:31:56 (permalink)
    comparing your mix with reference material is a great plan.  However you need to be aware that the mastering process can boost the mean loudness of the reference track by several dB, so it effectively sounds louder than your mix.  This will naturally sound different (better) because "the louder music is played, the more lows and highs we perceive compared to the mids" [quote Roey Izhaki, on the Fletcher-Munson curves].

So to get a fair comparison you need to adjust the volume of the reference track to give the same mean volume as your mix.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/07/25 12:44:51 (permalink)
    Chris Lord Alge? Could you have picked a harder target? Are you kidding. He is the king of outboard compressors and effects. The chance that you can come close to one of his mixes in the box, is fairly remote. You are going to need to buy some very expensive gear and mix on an SSL desk to get in the ballpark.

That said, I would not discourage you from trying and at least learn more about mixing. Bitflippers advice about buying MILAR is good. You have a long road ahead of you but here are some pivotal books and CDs that helped me.

Understanding key pieces of gear and approaches to mixing - Behind the Glass by Massey
    Basic approach to mixing - Mixing Engineers Handbook by  Bobby Owsinski
    Learning to record - Russ Longs Guide to Nashville Recording
    Learning to mix - Shane Wilson's Guide to Mixing
    Learning to Record - Recording Engineers Handbook - Bobby Owsinski
    Learning to Master - Mastering Engineers Handbook - Bobby Owskinski
    Learning to Master - Mastering Audio by Bob Katz (the bible on Audio)

Youtube  Sources : Parallel Compression, LA2A, 1176 compressors, lots of mixing videos here.

Last you really need to understand parametric EQs, how they are used for carving portions of the mix and what frequency ranges to apply them on. Then move on to delays, Chris Lord Alge uses a lot of varying short delays to create ambiance.

Good luck.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    mgreene
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/04 16:31:47 (permalink)
    I too am getting whipped by mixing and mastering. Those are some great references given above - Does anyone know of any learning references that include (many) high quality CD audio samples?

I want to hear, on my home stereo and on my studio set up, various compressor and limiter settings on single tracks, busses and masters. Also, I have heard a lot about creating space and ambiance with subtle delays and I have absolutely no clue how this even sounds.

Mike
    post edited by mgreene - 2010/08/04 16:33:08
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/04 18:33:59 (permalink)
    It took me about 8 years to feel like I could get something close to what I wanted when I began In-The-Box mixing. Reference CDs are good, but for me they are more to adjust my spectral perception of EQ, dynamics, etc. than to achieve a specific sound-alike goal. The Analyzer plug can give you a rough visual idea of the EQ curve of a reference CD and your mix, but keep in mind the impact of mastering, and the radical differences in source material. Read everything you can, and post songs in the songs forum for constructive criticism. Most folks here are pretty helpful (which has not necessarily been my experience in similar forums). Learning to mix for me is developing my ears, and instincts after mastering the technical side of the process to the point that it becomes reflex. Everything comes in 10% improvements (at best): better mic, a better pre, better monitors, better room, better plugins, better arrangements, better talent, better songs, better performances, better mix-techniques. You can somewhat obscure the shortcomings of a recording but you can't actually fix them and make a cr*p song or performance seem stellar (although I hear people attempting to do so constantly). I've certainly been successful at making some of them sound much worse, however.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/05 17:54:25 (permalink)
    mgreene

Does anyone know of any learning references that include (many) high quality CD audio samples?
    The Izhaky book comes with a DVD with many audio illustrations of the things he talks about.  It is a DVD, however, not a CD, it that's a showstopper.

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/06 03:35:02 (permalink)
    The Izhaki samples are a great learning tool.

He starts off with the raw multitracks and demonstrates the effect of applying different processing to all of them in turn.

You end up with a fully mixed song which sounds excellent.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    mgreene
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/06 11:48:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Jonsey and Baer! I'll give that one a shot.

Mike
    Hirjak
    • Total Posts : 109
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/23 00:14:01 (permalink)
    The Bob Katz book, Mastering Audio, if the single best, stand-out book there is.  No book will teach you more.  Bob Owsinski's Mixing Engineer Handbook is the 2nd best. 

Many community colleges have fairly affordable classes that can teach you enough in a couple of quarters to get you sounding pretty close to the pros.

It took me about 5 years on my own to get to a level where I feel happy with my mixes.

Oh, and treating my room with acoustic stuff and getting a great set of monitors were the two biggest things above any gear purchases.

http://www.theconstabulary.com/music.html
    post edited by Hirjak - 2010/08/23 00:17:05
    droddey
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/23 02:30:27 (permalink)
    I'm around the four year mark or so I guess, though with woefully limited time to spend on it, and things are finally starting to click, though obviously still lots and lots to learn. But it's finally not just random experimentation. I'm starting to get to the point where I kind of know why I'm doing what I'm doing a reasonable amount of the time, even if I'm not quite doing it yet as well as I'd like.

What's strange to me is that I worked so hard on learning to mix drums and record guitars and bass and such. And it just sucked and sucked and sucked. And now it doesn't suck nearly so much, but it's not actually really like I seem to be doing things much differently than I did before. It's just such a slow accumulation of information and techniques that happen over time that it's kind of hard to actually ever catch it visibly moving forward.

Now, it seems like I can just hook up the guitar, amp, pedals, mic and pre-amp, slap the mic up there, and get a really nice sound without much effort. Whereas I used to struggle so much and never hardly liked anything that I recorded, and seemed to do the same things that I do now.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    rotaholic
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 204
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/23 02:41:02 (permalink)
    Read this from start to finish, then go and read it all again!!!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

Its the best thing on the internet hands down, and its free :-)
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/23 08:38:13 (permalink)
    Lots of good info in this thread.
    I'll add my little bit.
    Great sound comparable to a good record requires good proficiency at every step, being the very least important the gear used. You need some adequate gear, but you don't really need very expensive gear to achieve very good results.
    You referred to an acoustic guitar sound you wanted to emulate. Assuming the composition step is there already, the steps would be:
    1) A well sounding guitar that can produce the kind of sound you are looking for. There are really good sounding acoustics for 300 bucks (Fender makes a nice cheap one for example).
    2) Choose the play style, pick and strings to get that sound. Very often guitarrists think they would need much more expensive gear when all needed is to learn how to attack the strings. Use new strings for recordings.
    3) Definitely learn to use M-S mic matrix. You will be amazed how this recording technique will affect your acoustic recordings. You will need an 8 figure condenser (typically a large dia type) and a cardioid (also condenser, large or small dia depending on the sound you're after). Again, not necessarily very expensive mics, but well sounding ones, even some cheap chinese ones can produce great results. Practice with placement and distance. usually towards where the neck joins the body is a good spot, closer for dynamic and sharp, farther for warmer and more ambience.
    M-S will allow you to control stereo width, presence and ambience at mix time, and you will find how big a difference it can make.
    4) The room can make a big difference in acoustic recordings. Assuming you don't have access to a pro studio room, at least a minimally treated room is very preferable. In a home studio better to have a dead/absorbent room than a resonant and reverberant one. This is probably the most involved part regarding gear, but if you want to achieve serious results you really need to address room acoustics to some extent. Then learn how placement in the room affects recordings. Normally you will want to record apart from walls and avoiding the center for the most natural and clean sound.
    5) If everything was well done up to here, you walked 90% of your way. Then you tweak timbre and dynamics with EQ and dynamic processors, and apply reverb or effects to taste. This also takes it's quote of knowledge and practice, but note that a good recording needs little at mix time to sound great, while it is impossible to make a bad recording to sound great. Yes, you may improve the sound in many ways, but don't expect a great sound from a bad recording. You can not recreate things that weren't captured: the string attacks, transients, clean harmonics... You can not remove undesired things either: excess of reverberation, resonation, distortion, etc.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    droddey
    Re:Learning How to Mix 2010/08/23 23:42:00 (permalink)
    Though, it's fair to say that you can practically rewrite a song purely with automation in many ways. Even if it's really well recorded, you can almost fundamentally change the nature of the song by automating tracks.

Not saying you should, but it's certainly doable, and not even at that completely anal retentive and highly artificial 'every single syllable' type of automation that often happens these days. But even just by emphasizing certain instruments in this section and others in that section, removing some here, etc... in a way that wasn't necessarily obvious or easily discoverable while recording.

Or you can 'play the mix' live if you have a console, and of course many classic albums were done that way. So it's not a break from 'the masters' to do fairly extensive automation necessarily. They just had to have the whole band and studio assistants on the console at once to do it whereas we can automate it. It's discussed pretty explicitly on the Dark Side of the Moon Classic Albums DVD that Alan Parsons and the band were all on the console during the mixdown doing old style automation.

Even during the 'record it straight to metal' days, the engineer was automating during the recording, to make up for slight discrepancies in the performance levels and such.

I've noticed that sometimes just lifting up the end of a vocal line that dropped down can change the nature of the performance in a good way, even though the dropping down wasn't in any way a mistake or anythign that the singer couldn't have quite naturally done. It was just the way it was done at that time, but it might sound much better when lifted upwards instead.

So, anyway, I'm rambling and somewhat contradicting my earlier, more purist, posts. But the point is, there's no one answer. But you should, IMO, strive to record it the best you can, to forsee how it should sound in your head as best you cans before you start and try to record it that way, and to learn from how you have to change in the mix as to how you missed the mark during recording and use that next time. But, you can still do very useful things in the mix that aren't unnatural, you just discovered them too late to actually record them that way. Even if it's just dropping out an instrument in a given section or something like that. It's often easy to play parts all the way through a song, then find out that you don't really need them in every section.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/08/23 23:43:47

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1