Some Virus advice

Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2010/06/26 00:12:11 (permalink)

Some Virus advice

I posted this in the Coffee House forum but I feel it is well worth noting here too.

There are other ways viruses and things can get into your computer. (Apart from your machine being on line and really it should not) My main audio machine is off the net but I still aquired a virus. A client brought in a USB disc drive that was infected and it jumped across to my C Drive and started replicating itself and onto every other drive I owned! I was able to get onto it before it started causing any havoc.

He visited an internet cafe and downloaded something there and a virus got onto his USB stick. He then went home and plugged it into his laptop and it jumped across to his laptop. Then it jumped over to his USB drive and when he brought it to me to transfer a Pro Tools session over for a mixing job it jumped onto my machine as well.

Microsoft have a great free program called Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free to all registered Windows users and that is all of us of course. It has all the latest updates and does an excellent job of tracking down and killing bad things.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

I have it installed on my main machine and a second as well. (Turn it off so it is not operating in the background on your main computer as well) If someone wants to plug something in to my main computer I do a test first on the other machine. You can point Essesntials right into the folder or drive of interest and it will do a deep scan and fairly quickly too. I also do regular checks on the main machine too and it usually passes each time. (switch back on for a check and then off again)

Be careful with this as it is a very easy way for viruses and other tojans etc to get into your perfect machine. Oh the joys of Windows. It is by far the weakest link in the whole Windows platform. It is just very poor how this operating system can be targeted so easily.
But if you are careful and vigilant you can be on top of it for sure. Complete Re Installs are just not an option for me or most of us I am sure of that.

It is just a great idea to download this program and do a full health check on your main machine. You might be surprised what you find. A full scan can take 90 mins or more. For the first scan, set it so it quarantines (or gives you the choice of what to do with them) any viruses found instead of removing them. You might accidently remove something that is important to the operating system. Check everything it finds one by one so you know what you are about to blow away! Once you know from the history list what is bad then you can safely set to remove as it finds them.

Also if it does turn up some things do the research as to what they are and what they are doing. There is plenty of info about what these viruses and trojans do and how they effect things. Often they make folders invisable and you cannot see them. It can sometimes be hard to reset your folder options to view all hidden and system files. You may have to alter the registry to bring that back to normal.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/06/26 00:17:14

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

6 Replies Related Threads

abeyclinton
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/16 01:17:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for this important tips for virus protection. I am using COMODO antivirus program which is the best one from my opinion. It gives me better protection against viruses,unauthorised accesses and buffer overflow situation. Presence of any strong and perfect antivirus program is must for every system which have Internet connection.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/16 07:18:31 (permalink)
    The Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use and what I recommend to my clients (I do part-time PC support).  It is also highly rated and even beat some of the"name" antivirus programs.

It does not interfere or potentially interfere with Sonar, as some programs such as McAfee can.  I had a problem with Sonar that I was dealing with Sonar Tech Support on and one of the comments from the tech was about antivirus programs and he specifically asked about McAfee as they had documented cases of it causing problems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Houndawg
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/16 17:52:02 (permalink)
    +1 for Microsoft Security Essentials...

Effective, light on system resources, completely free, stays out of your way. In use for quite some time on several personal systems and numerous client systems, all with great results.

Having said that, there is no substitute(software-wise) for smart and safe computing habits.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/16 17:52:50 (permalink)
    Yea, Essentials saved my computer home computer.  It had mcafee but something got through.  It turned mcafee off, I couldn't go back to an earlier restore point, everything.  I finally found Essentials and it cleaned the virus.  I have it on along w/ mcafee. 

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Mixwell63
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/18 10:52:30 (permalink)
    I have Windows Defender, it came installed on my machine. If I download Essentials should I delete or deactivate  Defender to avoid any clashes?
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Some Virus advice 2010/07/18 11:53:59 (permalink)
    According to this information, from a google search Essentials will automatically disable defender:

Q: Is Microsoft Security Essentials designed to replace Windows Defender?
    A: No but if you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC’s real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1