SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/06/27 11:52:51 (permalink)

SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like?

Does any body want to hear what a SM58 sounds like?

How about when it's run thru a Mackie 1604 and a skanky hand held 16bit DAT recorder?

Here's an example of a plain ol live show board mix... no post processing, lo-cut, eq, or compression... just 4 tracks squeezed down to two... all panned straight up the center.

When you do hear a less than perfect passage... blame it all on me. I was the sound guy... I was doing a live show and just taping it as a side line.

As an introduction to this clip I would like to explain that this is from a small club live show benefit I helped with many years ago to lend support to a local alternative styled preschool that many of my friends' kids attended.

Here in Tallahassee the best stuff is usually done for free for the love of doing it... that's why we live in Tallahassee... there are a bunch of folks that share that ideal here.

The act you will hear was a combo of three old friends... they weren't playing together regularly at the time... they just got together to help out and play a set for the benefit.

There is something interesting about this particular clip... us younger music folks had become aware of a young lady with a remarkable voice... so minutes before the set started we strategically forced this new young singer upon the combo for a cameo on a single song... we figured Summertime ought to work for every body.

What you are about to hear is the very moment the two singers met for the very first time... and they did it on the stage... and this was the first song of the night for the ensemble... this WAS the sound check as well as the start of the set. A curious Easter egg is that when the lead singer thanks and introduces Miss "Travis" Barry at the end of the song... she still doesn't know Avis's first name.

I hope you'll listen to the end... it was a magical moment. The whole crowd knew this was a unanticipated meeting of great talents... and at the end of the song... I'm telling the truth with no exaggeration... everyone in the room ran out back of the club while clapping and cheering with tears in their eyes... as if they were embarrassed by the fact that they were so emotionally moved.

For myself, I was left to operate the mix board... while tears streamed from my eyes.

We all knew we had just witnessed magic.

So here it is, 4 local Tallahaseeans each using a SM58:

http://harmoniccycle.com/...singles/Summertime.mp3

Pam Laws: lead vocals
Avis Berry: guest vocals
Johnny Whitehurst: rhythm guitar
Missippy James: lead guitar

BTW Miss Berry is now jamming with folks like the Nevilles and such. It's a joy to help people get recognized for what they can share with the world.

It's the kind of stuff us small townies take pride in. ;-)

all the best,
mike

editing spelling as I find mistakes :-)
post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/06/27 12:24:38

16 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 12:05:51 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Does any body want to hear what a SM58 sounds like?

How about when it's run thru a Mackie 1604 and a skanky hand held 16bit DAT recorder?

Here's an example of a plain ol live show board mix... no post processing, lo-cut, eq, or compression... just 4 tracks squeezed down to two... all panned straight up the center.

When you do hear a less than perfect passage... blame it all on me. I was the sound guy... I was doing a live show and just taping it as as a side line.

As an introduction to this clip I would like to explain that this is from a small club live show benefit I helped with many years ago to lend support to a local alternative styled preschool that many of my friends' kids attended.

Here in Tallahassee the best stuff is usually done for free for the love of doing it... that's why we live in Tallahassee... there are a bunch of folks that share that ideal here.

The act you will hear was a combo of three old friends... they weren't playing together regularly at the time... they just got together to help out and play a set for the benefit.

There is something interesting about this particular clip... us younger music folks had become aware of a young lady with a remarkable voice... so minutes before the set started we strategically forced this new young singer upon the combo for a cameo on a single song... we figured Summertime ought to work for every body.

What you are about to hear is the very moment the two singers met for the very first time... and they did it on the stage... and this was the first song of the night for the ensemble... this WAS the sound check as well as the start of the set. A curious Easter egg is that when the lead singer thanks and introduces Miss "Travis" Barry at the end of the song... she still doesn't know Avis's first name.

I hope you'll listen to the end... it was a magical moment. The whole crowd knew this was a unanticipated meeting of great talents... and at the end of the song... I'm telling the truth with no exaggeration... everyone in the room ran out back of the club while clapping and cheering with tears in their eyes... as if they were embarrassed by the fact that they were so emotionally moved.

For myself, I was left to operate the mix board... while tears streamed from my eyes.

We all knew we had just witnessed magic.

So here it is, 4 local Tallahaseeans each using a SM58:

http://harmoniccycle.com/...singles/Summertime.mp3

Pam Laws: lead vocals
    Avis Berry: guest vocals
    Johnny Whitehurst: rhythm guitar
    Missippy James: lead guitar

BTW Miss Berry is now jamming with folks like the Nevilles and such. It's a joy to help people get recognized for what they can share with the world.

It's the kind of stuff us small townies take pride in. ;-)

all the best,
    mike

I'm cryin' here too. wow...
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 12:08:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening Frank,

I forgot to add... because this was a benefit... I didn't have much for monitors up on the stage. They were pretty much flying blind. :-)

best,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 12:21:51 (permalink)
    Mike, nice.

Whatever imperfections in recording or performance are deep-sixed the moment.  Once again, it is the song and the musicians that make the performance.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 13:44:19 (permalink)
    This is niice ;)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 14:00:39 (permalink)
    Thanks to both of you for listening... I'll let them (unfortunately Johnny has since passed) know that you enjoyed it.

all the best,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/27 16:03:04 (permalink)
    superb!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ohhey
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 01:14:55 (permalink)

Dude... just as I was reading all the replies since I downloaded this it came up in rotation on iTunes in shuffle mode.  Chills...

I haven't been that moved by a performance since Trish Murphy doing Son Of A Preacher Man at Dan's Bar back in the early 90s. She just owned the song and the crowd. It was really magic. Sadly she never recorded it.
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 01:32:02 (permalink)
    Sounds great.

I liked it very much.

Thanks for posting it.
    ohhey
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 01:34:38 (permalink)
    Any chance you could post a wav file of this ?

millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 05:05:45 (permalink)
    Yeah!  I could imagine the emotion in the room! Very nice indeed.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 07:14:03 (permalink)
    TRAVIS rocks!!  ;o)

I enjoyed it....and I'm sure it was much more moving in person.  I don't know what the benefit was for, but I'm sure being there - combined with whatever emotions were already involved - was a special experience.

I find this thread goofy....because a while back we were disucssing a particular forum member's "need" to upgrade from the SM58.  While I was encouraging him to work harder with the 58, almost everyone else was telling him it would never work....and to buy THIS or THAT.

While I am a believer in high-end gear, there is no question that performance trumps it every single time.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/06/28 07:28:56 (permalink)
    This thread is goofy. :-)

My point was to remind everyone that it's pretty difficult to argue that the SM58 is hindered by a lack of frequency response... regardless of what you might see on an analyzer etc.

Frank, I've been sitting on the wav for 10+ years... It's a big deal for me to slip someone's music out without permission... the mp3 is probably the best I can do and still feel like a responsible service provider.

I just grabbed it from my archives to post in response to a recent discussion where the SM58 wasn't getting enough love... and I enjoyed the fact that for this example the signal chain wasn't fancy etc... so all you are hearing is the SM58 mic going thru a few ICs... viola.

It was also important to me to illustrate that you don't have to live in a major media market to have learned this... which is why I indulged in all the goofy small town stuff.

The emotional response was primarily based on the realization that 3 well established artists extended the GENEROSITY and hospitality to a noobie singer and allowed a circumstance like this to happen.  It catapulted Avis from a open mic duo person to a new voice on the "scene"... and we all knew we were there for that very moment.

There are a lot of acts that would never allow opportunities like that to happen.

The only thing I have witnessed to be more powerful was the night Wynton Marsallis came to town and invited Marcus Roberts to sit in... Marcus took and extended solo that night while Wynton feigned impatience. We all were just blown away by the audacity and spirit that Marcus displayed. Wynton kidnapped Marcus that night and they left on the tour bus in the morning... Marcus came back after 5 number one albums under his name and is now a respected instructor at the uni.

Generosity is an amazing thing.

all the best,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/06/28 07:36:05

Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/07/11 12:04:48 (permalink)
    WOW!
    I just found this thread trying to find something else.  What an Honor!  Wow!  That was an amazing performance by both of them.  Guitarist is incredible.

When I first started delving into recording all I had were SM58's.  Such a great mic.

One evening I was made aware of a Jazz concert at a local Hoilday Inn.  there were several local artists playing and a few head liners I (iqnorantly) never heard of.  One of the head liners was an elderly woman being backed by another headliners band.  He was a sax player.  It was an incredible evening that I have not forgotten.  6 months later I heard I on the radio the familiar name who's passing had became a national headline.  Etta Jones passed away.  Saxophonest was Houston Oerson

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/07/11 14:29:54 (permalink)
    Etta? you got lucky!!!

Music is as music does... I love it when the music speaks for itself.

That's a great story.

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/07/11 16:27:10 (permalink)
    SM58 definitely designed for male vocal. I was listening just now and noticed how it captured the 1st vocalists deeper rounded voice and matched it well. The second vocalist was all upper midrange and although it sounds good, it was not as magical on her voice.  But, maybe thats EQ, only the engineer knows for sure.

Microphones are weired that way. Guitars sounded nice.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:SM58... who wants to hear what it sounds like? 2010/07/11 17:10:44 (permalink)
    "only the engineer knows for sure"

like I said in the first post... blame it all on me. :-)

The first lady was about 60, the other lady was about 20... that might also account for some difference in tone.

best,
    mike

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1