Tried Everything!

Author
CaseyK
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/06/28 12:03:53 (permalink)

Tried Everything!

Hey Everyone, I am excited to be a part of this forum and I am hoping for some help if there's anyone feeling generous!

I just bought Music Creator 5 (love it!) I've never used anything else for my own personal use (I was in a band recently that used Cubase 5 for the studio, so I learned how to use that a bit) and I find it to be very user-friendly and generally does what I expect it to do! In my free time (I am a stay-at-home mom to three kids three and under!) I was able to record a song in a week! Phew! :o) The problem I had first was with my desktop computer which is an emachines that's probably 5 years old using Windows XP, and the only trouble I found was that when using the studio intruments if I wanted to click with my mouse on the virtual keyboard to record a part, it would be delayed, like from the time I would click on the key to the time it would play the note, so it was constantly off from the beat, which was very frustrating, but I found a way around that by just adjusting the start time of the note after the fact, tedious, but did the trick. Then I thought maybe if I hooked up my actual electric piano/keyboard that maybe I could actually play the notes that way rather than with my mouse, but I'm not sure if I need the software loaded to use it or not, cause it wasn't registering on the comp that there was a keyboard plugged in, it has the midi hook-up and everything, as far as me and my hubby can tell it should work, I still want to try loading the software for it, but any other suggestions on that would be helpful.

Now my problem is, we bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite Laptop a few days ago for me to specifically use for making my music, and when I playback, it stops constantly, doing what it calls a "dropout". Well I tried everything it suggested in trouble shooting and one thing that kind of worked was to change the mixing latency, but instead of it doing a complete dropout, only certain instruments or notes would drop out! I am at my wits end about this and I simply do not have the time to call tech support although perhaps I should make the time because this has completely halted my progress. :o(

These issues may seem to have an obvious solution, and I feel I'm pretty good at problem solving and being tech-savvy, but these have me stumped, and I don't want to waste anymore time, I just want to continue making music!

So I really appreciate any help and/or encouragement, hopefully none of you will want to tease me for my lame questions!!! :o)

Thank you my fellow musicians, music makers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~>           CaseyK :o)

16 Replies Related Threads

CaseyK
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 12:05:34 (permalink)
    Btw, my piano is a Yamaha Portable Grand DGX-305, if anyone else uses one like it and knows how to get it to work with Music Creator 5! Thanks! :o)
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 12:30:10 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    Is the Yamaha connected with a USB plug at both ends? Or does it have standard MIDI ports and you're using a MIDI-to-USB converter? If it's USB all the way, connect it, turn everything on, open MC and go to Options>MIDI Devices at the top and select the USB input as your MIDI device. There should also be a little MIDI activity icon at the bottom of MC which will flash if MIDI data is moving through the program.
    I'll assume that the new computer has Windows 7 for an operating system. Go to those posts at the top of this forum (the "stickies"). There is a post for an MC 5/Win 7 update. Get it if you need it, install it, etc.
    Buying an entirely new computer so you can make music is a big undertaking, so I hope your husband won't mind spending more for an audio interface designed for recording. That will be the heart of your system, and will eliminate the latency and dropouts that you're experiencing. The stock sound cards in computers are not made to handle the dense audio data flowing both ways (recording and playing back simultaneously) of multiple audio tracks, or of quickly processing the software synthesizers and audio effects you might be using at the same time.
    Not a Sound Blaster. Go to a site like www.guitarcenter.com or www.samash.com or www.sweetwater.com  and search their audio interfaces. Lots of folks here use M-Audio, Presonus, Focusrite and other types. Make sure you get one that is compatible with both your new computer's operating system and MC 5. They can connect by USB or FireWire, which makes hook up easy. You can expect to spend ~$100 for a good machine. It will be worth it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    CaseyK
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 12:37:54 (permalink)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, this gives me quite a bit to try out! Thank You! :o)

~~~~~~~~>         CaseyK :o)

www.myspace.com/caseykunleashed
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 13:36:37 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, Casey.
     I remember when I got married and had kids. It seemed like there was little time anymore for my music, but that was way before computers were the way to record your music. I have an emachine running XP as well. I had to upgrade the memory from 512 to 1.5 Gig because of all of Microsoft updates, but I believe this machine with a good sound card would work fine with MC4 or 5, but the new laptop should work out very nicely. Greg has you covered as far as Win 7, and investigating sound cards.

...Keep us posted...

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

CaseyK
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 16:51:38 (permalink)
    Yeah there is little time as you know, but my husband is super supportive and I told him even if he took the kids for an hour to the park, thats huge, and yeah, with this software, I can get A LOT done in an hour! So yeah its a great time for me to be doing this. So, thanks for being so welcoming, and I'll have to post about my success! I'm already trying out the advice from Greg and looking into interfaces, which it seems I would've needed anyway. Yeah the desktop was working just fine, a little slow to initially load of course, but I am having way more trouble with this laptop! But I am hoping things will work out, cause its nice to have the speed of this updated processor. Anyway, sorry to ramble! And thanks again to you both for being willing to extend some of your knowledge my way. :o)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>                Casey :o)
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/28 20:28:40 (permalink)
    casey,

welcome.  actually, XP or Vista is a preferred operating system for cakewalk DAW's but I understand that MC5 works with W7....

one thing you will want to do is buy a dedicated audio interface as the soundcard in lappys is not very good at processing the music data and especially the midi in real time.

The MC forum is full of people who are willing to help you get started. lots of talented musicians and singers and writers here too... be sure to get known in the songs forum. Many people here are more than willing to collaborate and play on songs... so get that DAW running and jump in.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CaseyK
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/29 13:14:14 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the help, it is so appreciated! Yeah that makes sense about Windows XP, so I am a little torn about using my laptop to do music, although the portability is nice. It seems there are pluses and minuses to using either or. :o( But hopefully between the two I can actually get where I want with this! :o)

I actually just bought myself an M-Audio Fast Track through Amazon, so I hope that does the trick! :o)

Thanks for the info on the songs forum, I'd love to join in on that! It would be nice to have that comraderie, so thanks so much. :o)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>              Casey :o)

www.myspace.com/caseyknleashed
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/29 15:28:09 (permalink)
    the fast track is a great starter soundcard.  just remember to use ASIO driver mode and plug headphones or your speakers into the fast track and don't try to use your laptop speakers at the same time you're using the fast track.  you'll have sync problems if you do.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/29 15:28:11 (permalink)
    Most of us here use laptops with dedicated audio/midi interfaces.

It works pretty good.  take a listen to some of the music we record on MC and Sonar on our soundclick sites.

Do you play an instrument, sing, write, .... tell us a bit about yourself.

I play guitar, sing, write, mangle some keyboards....... but enjoy every minute of it.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/29 22:29:22 (permalink)
    Lots of people here use Fast Tracks. Once you get it, go to the M-Audio web site and download all updates for your Fast Track, for your operating system. One of those should be the ASIO driver Beagle mentioned.
    Install the updates, change the driver mode in MC to ASIO and see what happens. Latency should then be a thing of the past.
    And a modern laptop computer should be able to keep up with MC. I imagine it has at least 2 GB of RAM.
    If you have any more questions about setting up the Fast Track, someone here will probably be able to help.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

CaseyK
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/30 11:31:04 (permalink)
    Wow, I am so thrilled to have such talented and educated people here to help me follow my dreams! I just can't say thank you enough! :o)

Update: I got my piano working, after uploading the software, go figure. Why didn't I do that to begin with? Don't ask... :o) But the help was much appreciated. :o)

Laptop Update: And we are actually getting a slightly more expensive laptop that supposedly has the best processor available right now and 4GB and all that good stuff, so my husband thought it'd be worth it to spend a little more. I'm excited to use that once we get it, but until then, I'm back to using the desktop, which of course has no latency issues, so I was able to "complete" my song enough to get it out there, which I already gave my disclaimer about that on the "Songs Forum". :o)

If you want, you can hear it on my myspace page. Its the first song on the list. :o) I apologize if its not your flavor of music. :o) I'm a Pop/R&B girl to the core. :o)

And thanks for the instructions in advance about the Fast Track, I'm sure I would've needed that! I'm relieved to hear there are other poor musicians like me who are using the Fast Track and making it work for them. One day when I can get paid for doing this, I'll get some sweet gear, but until then, its so nice to be able to do this affordably. Phew! :o)

Well, I'll try not to go on and on, but I'm 25, and I'm the youngest of 6 kids and my whole family performed "oldies" as a band (my parents were in bands before having kids) and so starting at age 5 years old, I loved loved performing and started writing songs, and then eventually formed a band called SumOfUS, with one of my sisters and one of my brothers and we had a great time performing our originals in the Phoenix area, but eventually that fizzled and my husband and I moved to Salt Lake City, UT, and I kind of gave up on my dream and started having babies, but more recently I've felt that bug again even though I'm preg with my 4th (due Feb) and so I'm still working on it!

At the risk of completely boring anyone who reads this, my goal is to have my whole album recorded before I have him (actually I'm trying to finish it before the end of the year if I can, and that way after I give birth and am feeling up for it, I can start gigging my stuff assuming it'll be spring and I can hit the arts festivals and fairs here in UT and then go from there. I am able to sing just fine when preg (which is a miracle) and I bounce back pretty dang quick after giving birth (another miracle) so I am really hopeful that I can get back in the game after so many years of being "out of it". :o)

I can play enough piano to get by, and my husband plays guitar and piano much better and so he helps me where I need it. I kind of know enough about instruments to get by, but I'm hoping to learn more and improve. I'm mainly a singer/songwriter/performer, so of course this is all a means to an end which is to get me back on stage. :o)

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you better and thanks again for the support and encouragement! Anything you want to share with me is welcomed very much, I have an appreciation and love for musicians coming from a family of musicians. :o)

Thanks again!!!!! ~~~~~~~~>     CaseyK :o)

www.myspace.com/caseykunleashed
    57Gregy
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/30 11:48:45 (permalink)
    Cool. That 4 GB of RAM will come in useful when you upgrade MC to a SONAR product that works with 64-bit operating systems.
    Unfortunately, MC 5 will only work on 64-bit OSs when it's run in 32-bit compatibility mode.
    From the Cakewalk FAQ:

"What Cakewalk programs can I install under a 64 bit Operating System?
    Any application that is specifically supported under Vista or Windows 7, has also been approved to function under Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 (in 32-bit emulation mode). This means that if an application such as: Guitar Track Pro 4, Music Creator 5, or SONAR Home Studio 7 does not list 64-bit OS support on he packaging or system requirements, this is only referring to native 64-bit support. Unlike SONAR, the aforementioned programs contain only 32-bit versions of the program, whereas SONAR contains separate 32-bit and 64-bit applications on the disc.
    If you are running a 32 bit program under an x64 Operating System you should expect it to work just as well as running under a 32-bit OS; however, you will not see the same benifits as a SONAR x64 user, such as increased RAM utilization. 32-bit applications are still limited to accessing 2-3GB of RAM even in a 64-bit environment."

There is also an MC 5 update link at the top (in one of the stickies) to help MC 5 work better with Windows 7. Download that, too.
    It never ends!

Greg 

Guitarhacker
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/30 14:42:10 (permalink)
    nice bio.... welcome.... ask questions when you need to.

With guitar and  basic keyboard skills and the right synths... you can do anything, as evidenced by my songs.

BMI/NSAI

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/06/30 14:44:26 (permalink)
    Nice tune CaseyK ! Looking forward to more. Good luck with the new interface.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

pghboemike
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/07/01 19:03:03 (permalink)
    Video Tutorials if you haven't seen them yet

nice work on the songs

links that may be helpful

Common Chord Formula

chord progression generator java based takes a bit to load
    http://all-guitar-chords.com/ many tools here

asus laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz 8 GB RAM 64 bit Windows 8 home Premium casio wk7500 roland quadCapture audio\midi usb interface sonar producer 64 bit X3e  
    elboned
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Tried Everything! 2010/07/06 10:22:17 (permalink)
    really liked the music.  Whenever I hear someone's work the first thing i always think is "how'd they do that?"  So if you ever care to clue us in to the equipment and procedure you used ......(hint hint)..  But seriously, good job.  And Welcome.

Homebuilt PC ASUS A7v8-X AMD Athlon XP 2400 1.8 GHz Win XP RAM 1024 Megs ATI All In Wonder 128 PRO AGP C-Media PCI Audio CMI 8738 Music Creator 4  Focusrite Saffire
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1