Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS

Author
Mike3825
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/06/29 22:41:11 (permalink)

Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS

I've been searching for the file SD2.INS (patch map to get higher banks in the Ketron SD2 using Creator 5). Please post the file or send me a link.

Thanks from Milwaukee Mike

19 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/29 23:36:55 (permalink)
    If you check this forum before the Coffee House forum, you can't import instrument definitions into MC, so finding the file won't do you any good with MC. Sorry.
    But you can still use the Ketron with MC; it will take longer, though.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Mike3825
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 12:22:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Gregy. I'm using Real Band or Power Track at present to reach the banks of SD2. In that program I can record the midi track or tracks to an audio file, save that file to a wav and import it into C5 and go from there. I was really hoping that once I found the patch I could assign that midi track to a real nice sound from SD2 within C5, but if I understand you, this can't be done with C5; and I would need to purchase a different program, and that is something, at present, I don't want to do. Learning curve!! To time consuming - and not a lot of fun.

Milwaukee Mike
    57Gregy
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 12:30:20 (permalink)
    In your post in the Coffee House, you wrote that those other programs could do it, and I was about to write that those programs cost a lot more than MC 5. But I decided to research that statement before I typed it and found that Real band is more expensive, but Power Tracks isn't.
    I also read that one of them (I can't remember which) can be utilized inside another program, so you could, theoretically, use it as a plug-in in MC and work that way. Then it will all be in the same project.
    Take a look and see if you can do that.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 12:35:22 (permalink)
    it's not that you can't do that with SD2 in MC, it's that you can't do it with an instrument definition.  You CAN do what you want, but it's more difficult without the ins def because you have to translate the patch numbers yourself without seeing them on the MIDI track's patch information.

so what you're wanting to do is still available in MC without ins def - just not directly.  you just have to use patch NUMBERS in MC5 instead of patch NAMES.  just correspond the patch NUMBER with the patch NAME in your patch list of the SD2 and you'll be set to go!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 14:38:28 (permalink)
    Patch this you pound puppy you!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 16:20:42 (permalink)
    I never did understand the instrument def thing.... and since the synth makes provide lots of really nice patches and samples...... I'm thinking like.... why bother making my own or whatever it is you do with inst defs.....when I have all the professional sounds I need.

Am I wrong?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 16:47:31 (permalink)
    herb - I can post pics later if you like, but I don't think you're understanding what INS DEFs do (and I think the OP doesn't really understand either unless he's figured it out since the original post).

INS DEFs are nothing more than the patch NAMES that are associated with the patch NUMBERS as displayed in the MIDI track properties and the PRV.

for example, try this and you'll see what I'm talking about.  open a new project in MC (you can use MC4 for this if you want, it doesn't matter).  make sure your DX-27 is connected and ON before opening MC.
    on one of the MIDI tracks, set the OUTPUT to the DX27.

now, look at the bank and patches.  they're all just NUMBERS, not NAMES.  if you want NAMES of the patches, you have to use an INS DEF.  MC does not support INS DEF, tho, you have to upgrade to SHS to get that.

if you were to get an INS DEF for your DX27 then you would make sure and route that INS DEF in the INSTRUMENTS window, and as long as you did that, then when you chose the DX27 as output for your MIDI tracks, you would be able to choose patches by NAME instead of by NUMBER.

make sense now?

Robo - aren't you due for a tune up?

Guitarhacker
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 16:55:36 (permalink)
    I guess....   so it's taking the midi data in a track and sending it to the DX27..... I'd have to swap the cables from their current DX out to Saphire In to reverse of that too right?

OK if that's it I understand it.... we're tell the DX where to go and what to do when it gets there... well sort of....

I've never considered using it that way although I know it's done.....

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 17:29:30 (permalink)
    no, you don't have to reverse anything.  and it's not really anything to do with the way the DX operates (which is what I think the OP misunderstood as well).

just follow my example above exactly, but since you use MIDI cables connected to the Saffire, just select the Saffire OUT for your MIDI track's OUTPUT - that's what I meant by selecting the DX27 as output for your MIDI track - same thing.

the ONLY thing that an INS DEF does is show you NAMES instead of NUMBERS.

I'll post pics when I get home to make it more clear.  but I think if you follow my example above you'll understand.

Guitarhacker
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 18:47:09 (permalink)
    don't fret over it..... I'll likely never use it anyway.  I have a work flow that works...

BMI/NSAI

Beagle
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 19:29:09 (permalink)
     no worries.  I'm doing this as much for the OP and anyone else reading this as I am for you.

here's a picture of what you would see in MC5 which doesn't support custom INS DEFs for any hardware synth (keyboards, rack mounted tone generators, Ketron SD/SD2, etc).

here's what you would see if you DO have an INS DEF set up for the MIDI OUTPUT of your hardware synth (in my case, the yamaha XS6) for the patch names.

57Gregy
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 20:40:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's handy for those with decent-sounding MIDI keyboards but not a lot of processing power. Having the keyboard make all your MIDI sounds while recording helps the processor breathe easier.
    That's how I do it; use the keyboard's synth while recording and change to soft synths after all my MIDI is done.
    Well, that's how I did it when I actually recorded something.

Greg 

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/06/30 21:42:19 (permalink)
    On a somewhat bright note, the SD2 appears to be GM mapped.
    This article has a GM2 table that should help identify the first 256 patches (with patch/bank settings).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2
    The Ketron specs indicate either 284 or 292 GM voices (depending on which specs you are looking at), which indicates there are several patches in banks beyond the first five that GM2 uses. You are pretty much on your own on these, but experiment, and take notes.
    You may find that the patch names are off by 1, depending on whether the SD2 counts from 1 or 0.
    You might try setting up a MIDI track with the output set to TTS-1, then switch to the SD2 to see if it plays the same instrument.
    This won't help with the expanded banks, but might give you a place to start.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mike3825
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/01 15:04:07 (permalink)
    Beagle,

Thanks for your pictures they speak..., however, the SD2 is hooked up to my computer via usb from and through the M-Audio Fast track. In your picture were you show the Yahama under op I show M-Audio. The SD2 is not shown. The SD2 has 3 banks called "Voice Bank A, B & C". Each one of these banks contain 128 sound variations on the std 128 midi sounds. The SD2 instructions also indicate Voice Bank A control change 00, value = 0, and B =1, C = 10. So I selected my patch (lets say Trumpet 57), and I kept that patch on while I changed the bank number from -1 to 0, then 1 and then 10. I stopped the midi play back before testing the change. However, there was (to my ears) no change in the patch sound. I think I understand how to choose the patch trumpet, sax etc. I'm just not sure how to get the bank variations (in this case A, B, and C). The picture thing is great. Please remember, unlike the Yahama, the SD2 does not plug into nor can it (as I know) plug directly into my computer. Thanks for your help. Posting this info to PG web site is also very helpful, so others can avoid get lumps on their heads from banging it into the wall.

Milwaukee Mike
    Beagle
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/01 15:20:36 (permalink)
    Mike - first - I don't have an SD2, but it's not important for what I'm trying to explain.  ANY hardware synth is going to act the same.  my yamaha keyboard is a hardware synth and your SD2 is also a hardware synth.

Please remember, unlike the Yahama, the SD2 does not plug into nor can it (as I know) plug directly into my computer.
    the yamaha plugs in exactly like the SD2 either by USB or by MIDI cables into a MIDI port.  I think you're missing something here because you told me that you are plugged up to BOTH USB and MIDI ports, but now you're saying the SD2 doesn't connect to the computer directly?  those are the same direct connections that the yamaha or any hardware synth would connect to. 

don't get hung up on the fact that I have a yamaha and you have an SD - they're both hardware synths and work exactly the same in that respect.

2nd - you shouldn't have the SD2 hooked up to both USB AND the m-audio fast track - it's not necessary.  choose one, the other is extraneous.  then choose the same one in the MC options>midi devices.  (not only is one of them extraneous but it COULD be causing your patch change problem)

The SD2 has 3 banks called "Voice Bank A, B & C". Each one of these banks contain 128 sound variations on the std 128 midi sounds. The SD2 instructions also indicate Voice Bank A control change 00, value = 0, and B =1, C = 10. So I selected my patch (lets say Trumpet 57), and I kept that patch on while I changed the bank number from -1 to 0, then 1 and then 10. I stopped the midi play back before testing the change. However, there was (to my ears) no change in the patch sound. I think I understand how to choose the patch trumpet, sax etc. I'm just not sure how to get the bank variations (in this case A, B, and C).

ok - if I understand exactly what you're doing, then it shouldn't happen that way, so something is wrong. 

I can't get to the SD2's manual from work - it's blocked by our firewall.  tell me - what patches are listed for the different banks for patch #57 for example?  Bank A patch 57 = trumpet - right?  what is Bank B patch 57?  What is Bank C patch 57?
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/07/01 15:22:40

Mike3825
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/01 23:06:44 (permalink)
    Beagle,

I'm sure I didn't make myself clear re the hookup of the SD2 and my computer. But first your question re track 57. A = Trumpet 1, B = Golden Tpt, C = Trumpet 2. In RB or PT these sounds are all a bit different.

Now regarding my hook up: The SD2 back hookups are Midi In or Midi Through or RCA's. The SD2 does not have a USB jack on it. On my computer I do not have a midi in; therefore, I need a USB interface to bridge between my computer and my SD2. I use M-Audio Fast Track. From my computer USB into MA, then MA Midi out to midi in of SD2, then RCA to PA. If I want to record the midi as it sounds through the SD2 I run the RCA's into the MA input jacks and then I monitor through the out of the MA into the PA. Of course for all this crap I must adjust the sound card according to how the hook is connected and what I'm trying to achieve.

I also posted something for you on the PG site.

Beagle thanks again for your help.

Milwaukee Mike
    Robomusic
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/02 11:25:00 (permalink)
    My question would be what does MC5 give that RB or PTPA does not, so that you need to move over?

Sonar i can understand, but MC is so similar to PTPA. Expecially since you are using hardware synths. The big advantage to some like Herb and myself is that MC handles softsynth a bit better.

It sound like you are setting up for gigging, and PT is a great little DAW for that, with it's autochord wiz, and the lyrics window. 

Music Town
    Beagle
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/02 11:34:53 (permalink)
    Mike3825

Beagle,

I'm sure I didn't make myself clear re the hookup of the SD2 and my computer. But first your question re track 57. A = Trumpet 1, B = Golden Tpt, C = Trumpet 2. In RB or PT these sounds are all a bit different.

ok, and if you change banks the patch sounds the same as A?  I would try clicking on the Patch and then clicking on 57 again just to be sure that the patch didn't stick on A/57 instead.  clicking on 57 with the patch set to B or C will confirm to the program that you are changing patches - might be a minor glitch that it doesn't do it automatically.

Now regarding my hook up: The SD2 back hookups are Midi In or Midi Through or RCA's. The SD2 does not have a USB jack on it. On my computer I do not have a midi in; therefore, I need a USB interface to bridge between my computer and my SD2. I use M-Audio Fast Track. From my computer USB into MA, then MA Midi out to midi in of SD2, then RCA to PA. If I want to record the midi as it sounds through the SD2 I run the RCA's into the MA input jacks and then I monitor through the out of the MA into the PA. Of course for all this crap I must adjust the sound card according to how the hook is connected and what I'm trying to achieve.

ok - I misunderstood you above then when you were talking about connecint the SD2 via USB - you meant thru the m-audio unit - that's OK.

but what is the "PA" you're talking about?  power amp?  if so I think you've got things connected correctly there.

I also posted something for you on the PG site.

Beagle thanks again for your help.

Milwaukee Mike

ok - I'll go check there as well.
    glad to help.

Robomusic
    Re:Help - anybody out there have or know how to get this file: SD2.INS 2010/07/02 11:57:58 (permalink)
    Tune up .. priceless!!!

Good one i loved it.

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1