windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers??

Author
ANORMOUS
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2010/07/02 17:09:52 (permalink)

windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers??

i read on a forum that nvidia graphic drivers can cause clicks in the audio streams..

i have a geforce 9800 gt and a clean install of windows 7 works fine if i dont install the nvidia drivers

in fact, using dpc latency checker i found the latency was higher after installing the nvidia drivers..

do we need them for a bare-bones daw? can we just use windows generic driver?

i also have an nvidia nforce driver that supposedly controls the ide and sata.. 
    i'm not sure if i'd get better performance with it because it seems to load a bunch of other stuff too..

as a side note.. anyone have luck with an e-mu1212m or a powercore element in windows 7 with cakewalk?
    upon initial testing the e-mu worked fine at 2ms latency (5.6 roundtrip) to control soft synths with vista drivers
      next i try the beta driver

4 Replies Related Threads

millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers?? 2010/07/03 19:10:15 (permalink)
    There's no reason why you cant use generic drivers if they're working for you. In my case I had better performance with nvidia drivers.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers?? 2010/07/04 07:23:26 (permalink)
    Windows 7, if no user installed drivers are used goes and gets drivers so you are still probably using an NVIDIA driver.  Check the driver in the Windows Device Manager for the Video card.

Audio Pops and Clicks are a big problem.  Video cards and or drivers (both ATI and NVIDIA) are one potential source.  Wireless cards or devices are another.  I do a lot of support on the Dell users forum and the Windows 7 forum and there are many posts about the pops and clicks and there is no "one fix" for it.
    post edited by fireberd - 2010/07/04 07:25:54

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    kmcm
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers?? 2010/07/26 02:51:24 (permalink)
    All versions of Windows come with a "basic" set of video drivers, otherwise you could not see Widows at all (when first installed).  If the default drivers in Widows allows you to have the best definition, and color depth, to suit your monitor, then there is probably no reason to install any other video driver. 

The suite of drivers from ATI and NVidia are for 3D rendering (CAD - Adobe CS 3/4/5 etc) and a huge amount of add-ons (Phys X) for those fantastically rendered video games.

If you don't use your machine for those things, then it may be best not to  bother with them.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!  Hope this helps.

Music Creator 5 - Gigabyte X48 motherboard - 4MB dd3 Ram - Intel Duo 3GHz - Windows Vista - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro - 4 x Sata2 Hard Drives in Striped RAID Array - Studio monitor amp and speakers - Yamaha Electric / Midi Piano

Kevin @ Brisbane Australia
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:windows runs smoother without nvidia drivers?? 2010/07/26 21:47:11 (permalink)
    The drivers that you download from nVidia have extra "features" in them and run extra processes, which if you're not a gamer you probably don't need. I get my nVidia updates through Windows update; you just have to set nidia driver helper service to manual (or disabled).
    I only updated cos I had to install video software that wanted more recent drivers. But so far, so good, with the ones from Windows update....
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1