How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4?

Author
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
2010/07/03 10:43:13 (permalink)

How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4?

I'm looking for an easy to use orchestra that supports key switching and preferrably a "legato" mode.  I don't want something that requires a dongle, and I don't want to spend a lot of money.  At $149 GPO seems like a good deal.  Anybody have experience with GPO?  How do you like it?  Do I need Kontakt to play GPO? 

18 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/03 11:21:58 (permalink)
    GPO is a great product, especially for those wanting to integrate orchestral sounds into their projects.  it's really the best value for orchestral sounds.

is it the best sounding?  no.  otherwise products like EW wouldn't exist at the price point they have.  but it is the best value for the money, IMO.

you do not need Kontakt also, GPO 4 is a comletely stand alone product and can be used also as a VSTi.  buying GPO is all you need to get started.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    guitartrek
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/03 11:30:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Beagle.  I'm going to buy it. 
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/03 14:34:43 (permalink)
    I bought it recently when cake had a sale.... it's pretty decent as a starting point for orchestral sounds.... but like Beagle says..... better is available but at a larger (usually much larger) entry price.

If you keep your eyes open in these forums you can, from time to time find FREE but limited samples of teh more expensive libraries.... I have a Silver EWQL that was  free..... you have to keep your eyes open and venture into some of the other forums here as well.... I think I found the EW link in a forum for the cake instruments....IIRC.... 

could not find the link again.... sorry.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/03 14:38:14

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    eikelbijter
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1002
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/03 19:55:47 (permalink)
    I think it's actually quite awesome. Reasonably easy to use, easy on the ole hard disk.....

R

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
    Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

guitartrek
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/03 22:43:17 (permalink)
    I love the added control with the Mod wheel controlling volume and Velocity controlling attack.  Do the more expensive packages respond the same way?  Will my orchestrations for GPO be able to used in the others?
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/04 13:27:31 (permalink)
    guitartrek

I love the added control with the Mod wheel controlling volume and Velocity controlling attack. 
    Provided you don't have the Roland-style push mod controller instead of a wheel. Then your sanity will be at risk... How the hell do you switch off the mod control?

Sven

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/04 13:52:08 (permalink)
    SvenArne

guitartrek

I love the added control with the Mod wheel controlling volume and Velocity controlling attack. 
    Provided you don't have the Roland-style push mod controller instead of a wheel. Then your sanity will be at risk... How the hell do you switch off the mod control?

Sven

Dude, that was your fault for buying that crazy stick modulator thingamajiggy...
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/04 23:36:59 (permalink)
    keith

Dude, that was your fault for buying that crazy stick modulator thingamajiggy...
    Hang on! I love my stick modulator thingamajiggy and would not be without it for synth solos, and in particular when I use Real Strat and assign modulation to the Wha Wha, but I can see the value of a unsprung wheel too. It would be nice to have both on the same controller.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 01:53:19 (permalink)
    If you can splurge a little more then buying NI Kontakt 4 gives you a pretty good basic orchestral library (from VSL). Plus it's a frigging good soft sampler as well. :)
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 05:51:00 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

keith

Hang on! I love my stick modulator thingamajiggy and would not be without it for synth solos, and in particular when I use Real Strat and assign modulation to the Wha Wha, but I can see the value of a unsprung wheel too. It would be nice to have both on the same controller.
    Yeah, while I love the stick for synth leads, it's no replacement for a wheel. For one thing it's a two position switch rather than an analog controller. When pushed the mod value rises at a fixed rate (takes about 0.5 seconds to reach 127) and when you release it instantly drops to zero which makes it totally useless for a lot of things. At least this is how it works on my ancient Roland PC-something.

So while the push switch is great for some things, Roland really should include it as a bonus feature to complement the mod wheel and not replace it...

Sven

guitartrek
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 10:01:38 (permalink)
    Kuusniemi

If you can splurge a little more then buying NI Kontakt 4 gives you a pretty good basic orchestral library (from VSL). Plus it's a frigging good soft sampler as well. :)

I'm thinking that Kontakt 4 is my next step.  So when you buy Kontakt 4 you get VSL?  And VSL is a step up from GPO?
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 12:15:52 (permalink)
    I have an older Kurzweil Midiboard as a controller. Excellent base line controller as far as feel goes. I ended up removing the spring in the mod wheel just so I could dial in the modulation wheel and have it stay in position like you might use a fader controller. Works very well for use in GPO.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 12:48:26 (permalink)
    guitartrek

Kuusniemi

I'm thinking that Kontakt 4 is my next step.  So when you buy Kontakt 4 you get VSL?  And VSL is a step up from GPO?

VSL is incredible.  I graduated from GPO to VSL and yes it is more expensive but there is no comparison.
    guitartrek
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 13:29:57 (permalink)
    LarryAlex

You don't get the full VSL sample library but it's a good representation.

Regards,

So if you buy Kontakt - do you get enough of the VSL that it could replace GPO?  Or will I want to buy the full library right away?
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 13:30:29 (permalink)
    [<font]Kontakt 4 includes sounds from VSL, but VSL migrated to their own format from Kontakt many years ago.

For better or worse, the non-Kontakt format high-end libraries use dongles: VSL, and EW in particular.

GPO uses their own Aria player.  In terms of "bang-for-the-buck" it is outstanding.  It also requires very little by way of computer resources.  Does its sound compare to VSL?  No, but then GPO is aiming at a different target market than VSL.

With the higher end libraries, for optimal use, a 64 bit o/s, and a minimum of 8 gigs of Ram are strongly recommended.  GPO does not need that.

If you eventually decide to go with EWQLSO, try to save enough for at least Gold, and the Gold close mic position.  Gold alone has so much reverb that it is really limited to the "Hollywood Orchestra" sound.  By including the close mic position, one gains many more options.

If you are more interested in traditional classical type composition I would suggest going straight to VSL (the Special Editions are a good starting point).

The VSL true legato is generally regarded as the best legato out there - particularly for the woodwinds.  In contrast, EWQLSO does not have true legato. 

Technical comment: The way EW's Play handles legato scripting is very awkward - in the default setup, scripted samples (including legato) are placed on separate tracks: the multi-patches do not include legato.  While one can create custom patches in Play, one cannot change the pre-existing patch descriptions (a rather bad oversight).  Only with the forthcoming Play Pro will it become really feasible to create custom patches.

Summary: GPO is a great starting point, but it is just that, a starting point.  If you are not sure how much you would actually use an orchestral library, that is all the more reason to start with GPO.

One other series of budget orchestral libraries many like (though I do not personally care for his strings, so the libraries were never a serious consideration for me) are those offered by Kirk Hunter.

<edited for clarity>
    post edited by noldar12 - 2010/07/05 13:43:07

Jim
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 17:57:40 (permalink)
    GPO is still best starting point especially with it's legato programming which you won't find with the VSL library included in Kontakt 4.  The add VSL Special Edition.  The instruments in this library have the true legato samples.  The drawback of libraries such as VSL is that there is only 1 clarinet, 1 flute, 1 oboe, etc.  This makes building sections difficult as you don't want to use the same instrument to play 3 note chords as it will create the dreaded 'organ' sound.  Blending the GPO instruments with VSL will create more of a section sound playing chords.

Jim
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 22:24:57 (permalink)
    The "problem" with VSL (if you can call it that) is that the samples are very raw. This might not be a problem for the more professional level mixers, but for some (I include myself in this category) it might seem a little intimidating.
    The samples don't immediately have that classic Hollywood sound. You have to know how to EQ and compress the bare samples. They are also close mic'd in a dry room so placing the instruments through panning and reverb is also not that apparent.
    They have an accompanying set of effects called The Vienna suite that has your EQ, limiters, compressors, and reverbs all built in to one package with presets for each VSL instrument to help you along, but I think it's about $400-$600 to purchase. I was lucky enough to get it for free, which was a godsend because I would truly be lost without them.
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:How about Garriton Personal Orchestra 4? 2010/07/05 23:33:16 (permalink)
    Let's put it this way... GPO is an excellent starting point, primarily because of the startup cost, which in the world of good-to-great quality sample lib products is absolute peanuts. If you have a serious need for orchestral beyond what GPO can give you, then you can "graduate" later once you figure out what specifically you need... Do you just need killer strings? There are options specifically for that. Do you need more woodwind options, brass? There are specific options there as well. You could go the single vendor route... or mix and match, as a lot of people do. Maybe you're running a complete VSL setup, or maybe you got hooked on WIVI brass+woodwind combined with say EW Hollywood Strings or LA Scoring Strings... whatever route you go down the road, plan on a "basic" high-end setup starting in the $1000 - $2000 range... and going way up from there... so yeah, GPO is a great place to start!  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1