Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem?

Author
Ozz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 332
2010/07/03 17:13:05 (permalink)

Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem?

I purchased the AudioMidi Dan Dean no-brainer a little while ago, and went to the Dan Dean site and put in my registration code. 

I extracted the download to the Kontakt library folder.

Noticed it doesn't show up as a library like SSD or others...

Went to the files tab and found and began playing around with the various basses (very nice, actually)

However, the various instruments were showing up in "Demo" mode.  After a little while (30 minutes?) it timed out and gave me the option to activate.  So, I did that.  I was brought to Kontakts site where everything I had is listed as activated. 

It is only the Dan Dean material that is doing this.   All of my SR stuff, SSD stuff, etc., is behaving as it should.

So....what am I doing wrong?  Any ideas?  It's got to be something fairly simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.

23 Replies Related Threads

birdg735
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 17:44:40 (permalink)
    Hey Ozz,

I am brand new to Kontakt, and in the same situation with the DD library.  I have read that unauthorized and/or non partner libraries will only play in this 30 min demo mode.  This was discussed by ew and others when the free K4 player was released.

As you, I assumed that this library was not subject to this demo restriction.  If it is, I believe AudioMidi and DD have some "splaining" to do.

Hopefully this is not the case, and one of the NI experts (ew, YOP, baMidi) will clarify for us.

- B
    Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 17:57:27 (permalink)
    Well, I would have to assume (yeah, I Know....one should NEVER assume) that isn't the case, as it would definitely make that no-brainer a pretty useless purchase. 

I was not aware of that restriction, and hadn't noticed it mentioned.

What good is a library that you can only use for 30 minutes at a time?

If there isn't a simple resolution for this, I believe I will be finished with these wonderfully priced no-brainers.

(Having now ranted...I should add that the basses did sound pretty good...they'd sound better without a ridiculous time limitation)

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.
    MrMook
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 589
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 19:31:07 (permalink)
    I think the problem is the use of the term "Kontakt".

I tried these on my old DAW which only has the Kontakt 4 PLAYER and they show up as demo files. On my new DAW which has the FULL version of Kontakt 4 they show up just fine.

If you read the earlier thread someone asks if these play with the free Kontakt Player. Someone answers "no".

I believe that's the issue unless you have the full version of Kontakt then I'll remain quiet.

Dave-

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 19:48:17 (permalink)
    Dave  -- I have the full version with a DD P bass patch loaded.  Where would I look to see if it is in demo mode?

Thanks for the help/clarification -- B

MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 19:53:47 (permalink)
    When you load the patch file (Bass) the name is on the browser at the top. For example, it might say "HOFNER" or "*** DEMO *** HOFNER".

Dave-

Sorry I can't be more clear.

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Intel i7 4790 360 GHz , 32 GB RAM, SR-22, UA-25EX, Win 7 x64, Too many Vsts and Effects.
    MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 19:56:04 (permalink)
    - B, are you timing out at 30 minutes?

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 20:02:36 (permalink)
    Not to 30 minutes yet -- but no DEMO in the patch name!  All looks well.  I'll let you know if it times out after another 15 minutes or so.

Sorry to all for introducing any confusion re: full vs. Player

Thanks again for the hand holding -- B
    MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 20:11:08 (permalink)
    I'm surmising that's what it is.

I'm a slow learner when it comes to Kontakt but I'm beginning to understand some of it which scares me.

My comment about the use of the term "Kontakt" wasn't directed at you. We all use the term. With some "libraries" it seems one needs the full version as opposed to just the Player yet we all just say "Kontakt".

Dave-

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 21:40:48 (permalink)
    Well, if I missed it someplace in the product description, then my bad.  Otherwise, it looks like I just p*ssed away $20.

I'm afraid those basses aren't good enough for me to spend the $$ for the full version of Kontakt.

I have purchased my last "no-brainer" deal.

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 21:45:23 (permalink)
    Dave,

It is a Player vs. full version issue, but by all means, feel free to direct any "hey dumba**" comments my way.  I fully admit I don't get NI's marketing, nomenclature, etc.

I swear our German friends have a quarterly corporate retreat focused on confusing their customers.  Let's see, in the last couple years here's what the line up has been:

Intakt
    Core
    Core Player Free
    Kontakt
    Kontakt Player Free
    Komplete (yeah I know adds synths and such)
    (I am sure I am leaving an other(s) out)
    ALL PRETTY MUCH DOING THE SAME THING!  At least that is my perception from a non NI dialed in person.

OK - so 18 months back I order "Kontakt Sax & Brass".  Naturally this would be a Kontakt library needing at least the free Kontakt Player.  Nope that needs Core or the Core Player! WTF!  Will this library play in Kontakt -- I don't think so.

Every time I open Service Center it shows that Kontakt Player 3.5 is UNAUTHORIZED.  However, it doesn't need to be authorized??  Kontakt 4 Player, now that is authorized.

When installing Sonar, the installer without input, immediately started to install G Rig LE.  I have IK Amplitude, and don't need/want an LE version or GR.  I halted this part of the install, but similar to above, SC shows that I have an unauthorized copy of GR.  Does SC report to NI every time I connect that I have pirated a copy?

Will I stop considering their products -- naw.  The quality is by reputation great, so I guess I'll have to work harder getting my head around NI's way.

- B

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 22:20:03 (permalink)
    Ozz

Well, if I missed it someplace in the product description, then my bad.  Otherwise, it looks like I just p*ssed away $20.

I'm afraid those basses aren't good enough for me to spend the $$ for the full version of Kontakt.

I have purchased my last "no-brainer" deal.

Sorry to hear it -- Do you have another platform in which you might use the raw wav's.  A lot of work, but maybe it's the old lemonade from lemons thing.

BTW -- I still don't get the "authorized library" vs. library thing.  You paid $20 (could have been $200) to experience this aggravation?  I would like to see the DD Bass library in the library tab of Kontakt, yet have to "go fish: using the smallish file function. Again, this is all new to me, so forgive me if I'm missing the big picture. 

I realize that Kontakt is the category leader, but this seems a little heavy handed.  What if Cakewalk made 3rd parties pay a partner fee for their plugins to show up in Plug-In Manager, or go into "demo mode" after 30 minutes?

I have no axe to grind -- really.  These are my honest observations from a new NI customer. Just saying ...

- B

MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/03 22:28:48 (permalink)
    Ozz, sorry about that. I read the posts carefully AFTER I bought the no-brainer so I could have wound up in the same situation as you. I'd seriously consider asking audiomidi for a refund. I'm sure there'll be more no-brainers in the future that will be worthwhile.

- B, I hear ya loud and clear. After I bought SONAR I thought that was it but, no, there are so many "sounds" to buy. I agree that NI could do a better job of describing all their software. There are just so many options across the board in the DAW game that one can easily get in over their head.

I've had my share of "simple" issues. Just check my threads here BUT thankfully it's a great community with lots of helpful citizens.

Dave-

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/06 17:52:51 (permalink)
    Well, I contacted Audiomidi a couple days ago.....

I haven't yet heard back from them....

However... I started looking at the full version of Kontakt (I wasn't really familiar with it) and ended up buying Komplete 6 a little while ago!   So....Hopefully that will end my situation with the no-brainer!

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/06 18:16:43 (permalink)
    Ozz

Well, I contacted Audiomidi a couple days ago.....

I haven't yet heard back from them....

Saw your post in the other thread -- concrats on the new purchase.  So is $20 plus $400(+) still a "no brainer"?  Just kidding, sounds like Komplete at that price is a great deal.  I went with the straight Kontakt because I qualified for the 1/2 off upgrade of $149, and Komplete wasn't part of that deal for me.  For the future, a strong perhaps....

Keep us posted on whether AudioMidi gets back to you.  The requirement for a full copy of Kontakt REALLY should have been disclosed before purchase.  It will be interesting to see what they propose as a solution.  XX% off your next purchase??

Also, any impressions of the other VIs in Komplete would be of interest.

Best -- B

Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/06 18:29:20 (permalink)
    Thanks BirdG...not so sure about the no brainer now! ;)

I doubt Audiomidi will do much for me...in reality, it's not really their fault.  Yes, they could have listed the fact that Player was not going to work, but....what can ya do?

A nice gesture on their part would be a $10 credit back to my card.... I won't expect it.

But they were punished.  I bought Komplete someplace else. :)

Heck, if I end up really enjoying Komplete, I might have to thank them...since I doubt I would have ever purchased it, otherwise!

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/06 18:33:28 (permalink)
    As stated above lemonade from lemons!

Enjoy -- B
    MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/06 19:34:13 (permalink)
    birdg735

I went with the straight Kontakt because I qualified for the 1/2 off upgrade of $149, and Komplete wasn't part of that deal for me. 

Same here.

I'm buying this stuff one by one. It never ends!

Ozz, looks like you got a great deal.

Dave-

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/09 16:58:41 (permalink)
    Well...my issue with the Dan Dean basses is resolved.....and it only cost me $450! ;)

I actually got the package the very next day!  I haven't had time to really dig in yet and I don't really know what to do with a couple of the programs yet....

But, I think I'm really going to like Kontakt.  And although I don't like Guitar Rig 4 as much as Amplitube 3 (yet, anyway)....it does offer some good tones as well.

I'll need to read some manuals and watch some tutorials before I can REALLY comment...but the quality of sounds seems very good!

I never did hear from Audiomidi.  Not even a "We're sorry for your issue but unfortunately there is nothing we can do".

So, my days of doing business with them may be over.  Not a big deal for a $20 item, but if it had been a more expensive item, I would have been a lot less forgiving.

BUT....all's well that ends well!

birdg735
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/09 20:07:33 (permalink)
    Glad to hear it - rock on!  Too bad about audioMIDI, will definitely remember that come their next "nobrainer".
    -B
    MrMook
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/09 20:36:40 (permalink)
    Yo Ozz, you backed into a great deal.

Keep us informed of the non-Kontakt software in Komplete.

Dave-

Dave- 

SONAR Platinum

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/10 12:57:47 (permalink)
    There's TONS of stuff in Komplete. Ozz won't be back for a while, I'm afraid.

It's too bad he had to go through this. I called audioMIDI when I didn't get a code, and they resolved the issue within one minute (literally).

I think Ozz will be happy with Komplete--as long as he doesn't have to justify to anyone how something that should have cost $20 ended up costing $450!

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Ozz
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/10 22:16:38 (permalink)
    Lol....Well....yeah, if I had known, I wouldn't have purchased the Dan Dean material.

BUT....I've always been a bit of a "gear-head" in anything audio (home audio systems and recording gear)

So, in all honesty.....this was an excuse to spend some serious bucks on something.

And so far......I'm LOVING it!  I'm still in the "Let's listen to all the different sounds" phase....but.....I have a feeling this was a GREAT purchase!

The Kontakt samples seem quite good.

Guitar Rig......well......I'm still getting used to it...and I still prefer Amplitube 3, but it does have a lot of potential.  Give me time!

I started fooling with Battery today..and so far, I'm liking it.

The other programs...well....I'll get back to you before I say yay or nay.

The best thing is....I no longer have to worry if a sound library works under "player" or "full" anymore!

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Kontakt/Dan Dean (hopefully) easily resolved problem? 2010/07/10 23:38:05 (permalink)
    Ozz

Lol....Well....yeah, if I had known, I wouldn't have purchased the Dan Dean material.

If it's any consolation you are not the only one to buy a library and find out it's not compatible with the Kontakt player. I bought Pipeloops Madeline pipe organ last year. In retrospect it should have been clear that it needed the full Kontakt, but as I got to the site following from a list on NI Kontakt pages I did not pay enough attention to the small print.

My full version of Kontakt, (which I bought for a song as a half price crossgrade from the Steven Slate Audiomidi no brainer) is waiting patiently for me to get back to the UK, so I will finally be able to use this excellent organ and really rattle the windows.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1