Garritan GPO

Author
native
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 237
2010/07/04 04:59:10 (permalink)

Garritan GPO

I just bought Garritan Personal ORchestra 4 -- it's my first "real" orchestra library, so I have a bunch of question on how to get the best out of it:

1. which is the best way to set it up in Sonar? seems like there are two ways:
a) creating a new synth and choosing to create the first synth audio output. consequently, I'll create a new track for each channel I'm using. this allows me to have a separate midi track for each instrument.

b) creating all synth audio outputs. this way I can edit each track with audio effects afterwards, but seems like I have only one miditrack for all instruments.

Or am I missing anything here? I'd appreciate any advice here on how to best set this up.

2. I mainly produce mainstream rock and pop music. any advice on how to make strings sound as good/natural as possible in this context?

thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 08:35:14 (permalink)
    You do only have one midi track but you can create another 15, usually by cloning the midi track and changing midi channels etc. In the end, you can have, say, 16 audio tracks and 16 midi tracks for total control. This is not unusual. The choice is yours.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 10:48:07 (permalink)
    r.bowser posted some tips in the main sonar forum a month+ ago? as he's been using GPO for a long time..

obvious things like quantizing and not doing it so tight etc

i couldn't find the exact message, but if you contact him

http://forum.cakewalk.com...ofile.aspx?memid=22062

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/04 10:51:24
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 12:22:01 (permalink)
    Native - I too just bought GPO yesterday.  I finished an orchestration already.  I didn't use the "multi" option.  I just have GPO going into a stereo audio track.  I like to keep Sonar as uncluttered as possible.  But I do have seperate midi tracks for each instrument - I set it up as mentioned before:  Cloning the midi tracks and then changing the chanel on them.  This works perfect.  You've got use the mod wheel  right away for volume.  Midi velocity controls attack which is really cool.  I didn't have a lot of luck with the "auto legato" feature.  I ended up overlapping the midi notes slightly for legato.  This seems to work better than auto legato. 

Have fun - it's a workhorse at a very low price.  My main question is:  Will I be able to use my GPO midi orchestrations with other more expensive packages?  Someday I'll upgrade.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 13:02:06 (permalink)
    Have fun - it's a workhorse at a very low price.  My main question is:  Will I be able to use my GPO midi orchestrations with other more expensive packages?  Someday I'll upgrade.

of course!  MIDI is just data.

the only consideration, however, is that GPO uses non-standard Controller Codes for some things (I don't remember exactly which ones right now).  so you'd have to convert those controller codes back over to the standard or whatever your new libraries need.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 16:46:35 (permalink)
    Beagle

of course!  MIDI is just data.

the only consideration, however, is that GPO uses non-standard Controller Codes for some things (I don't remember exactly which ones right now).  so you'd have to convert those controller codes back over to the standard or whatever your new libraries need.

Thanks - What I was wondering is if using Velocity as Attack, and Mod Wheel as volume is pretty much the standard way they all work.  I could see that key-switching would be dependant  on the package.  I spent a lot of time with the mod wheel data and the velocities as I ported the Orchestration I used with Dimension Pro over to GPO.  I'm hoping all the more expensive packages do the same as GPO.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Garritan GPO 2010/07/04 17:34:44 (permalink)
    no, it's not.  I didn't remember during my last post, but those are the non-standard mappings of CC's I was talking about.  

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1