Helpful ReplyNew DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer

Author
daeser1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2010/07/05 20:19:07 (permalink)

New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer

Over the last few years ive collected many different VST plug-ins, some bought, some free, and some from friends/family. I just recently got a new DAWS and so I want to transfer all the VST plug-ins to the new one from my old computer.

My questions:
1) some plug-ins don't have the installation disk. What do i do? can i copy and past dll files into the vst folder?
2) some have the installation disk, but no registration or any info. These ask for registration on the new computer even though they are registered on my old computer. Is there anyway of just simply dumping them on the new computer with the same registration as the old computer? Some of these are expensive VST's that were given to me by family, but they've lost the registration info..
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer 2010/07/05 21:02:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
There's no quick/short way of installing and registering/unlocking all your plugins on the new DAW.
Many plugins generate a "challange" code (based on the machine) to which you have to enter the appropriate "response" code... to permanently unlock the plugin.  Even if you had the old codes, they won't work on the new DAW.
The solution is to install the plugins... get the new "challange" codes... and go to each vendor (usually done online) to get the unlock code for each plugin. 

If you have Native Instruments plugins, those simply need you to run the Service Center application... and log-in to your account.
You can then unlock all NI plugins in one fell swoop... (online)
Of all current copy protection means, this and Cakewalk's simple serial number (and associated unlock code) are two of the most user friendly.
Other copy-protection varies from nothing... all the way up to hardware protection keys (dongles).
If you have plugins protected via USB dongle (iLok, SyncroSoft/eLicenser, Wibu, etc), then your license is on the USB key.
Just install/update those particular plugins, plug in the dongle, and you should be good-to-go.
post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2010/07/05 21:06:13

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer 2010/07/06 08:33:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Moving to a new machine is always exciting...... and a PITA due to all the registration issues.  Like Jim said, install them from the original disks  and you'll need to go back to the manufacturer to get the keys, in many cases.

I always write down my keys and reg numbers...or print them from the online page..... some have actually worked when I had to reinstall in the same machine after a crash and reformat/reinstall.... so those numbers might be very handy. Keep them safe in a file folder like I do. I also keep all the documentation, order/shipping forms so I can prove my ownership on tech call.

Some of the plugs/vst's might just work straight up so load them up... see what works and what doesn't and take them one at a time registering again.

You'll be up and running in no time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer 2010/07/06 08:51:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
this is a good time to go thru your plug-ins and get rid of the ones you don't use. when i got my new PC 6 months ago, i could say good bye to lots of crappy freeware i had accumulated in my DAW infancy, and just concentrate on the good ones; so all i have freeware now are the P8 superwave, Crystal and organ one vsti, and Bootsie's freebies, classic chorus and delay and a couple of voxengo vsts...in addition to the better quality paid-for ones, and those built into s8pe. i have found this a) streamlines my workflow (no looking thru 20 different synths for some generic pad) and b) makes me actually work with what i have, not just using presets.

for the stuff you do want, as above, it takes a while, esp if you have lots of ik multimedia plugs!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer 2010/07/06 15:35:01 (permalink)
mgh

this is a good time to go thru your plug-ins and get rid of the ones you don't use. when i got my new PC 6 months ago, i could say good bye to lots of crappy freeware i had accumulated in my DAW infancy, and just concentrate on the good ones....

Excellent Advice. I did this very thing when I had to reformat and reinstall back in January.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
daeser1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:New DAWS!!!! Help With VST plug-ins transfer 2010/07/06 22:46:35 (permalink)
Unfortunately one of the plug-ins, IZOTOPE OZONE 4 (which for me is absolutely critical) was given to me by my brother who says he lost the serial number and also can't remember his izotope account info.
So, my next dalima. I'm going to buy this buy this program again, but first:

Does IZOTOPE OZONE 4 work with Windows 7 x64 (64Bit)? It worked fine with Windows Vista 64 bit, so i don't know why it wouldn't work with Win7 which is also 64 bit.. But Windows is weird sometimes with issues like this (ex: no backwards compatibility). I tried looking it up but all it says is that it's compatible with Win XP and Win Vista. So now i'm worried. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but do plug-ins have the same limitations as certain driver? As in they vary depending on your OS.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1