Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's?

Author
apd2
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
2010/07/06 17:52:31 (permalink)

Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's?

Hay forum,
Hope everyone had a cool 4th... Soo

Should Protection Settings be on for all HD's when you create a System Restore piont ? By default it's just the Windows7 C drive. Sorry for the basic ? I'm just transfering and updating to a new machine and have been out of the loop for awhile and I wasnt sure if its bad for the sample/audio drive?  Looking forward to Sonor 8.5

Thanks everyone,

Scott

post edited by apd2 - 2010/07/06 18:12:11

Asus P6Tes, i7 920, 6gigs Ram, Windows7/64bit,  Sonor Pro 8.5 64bit, Echo Layla 24, 

6 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/07 06:01:43 (permalink)
    apd2

Hay forum,

Should Protection Settings be on for all HD's when you create a System Restore piont ? By default it's just the Windows7 C drive. Sorry for the basic ? I'm just transfering and updating to a new machine and have been out of the loop for awhile and I wasnt sure if its bad for the sample/audio drive?  Looking forward to Sonor 8.5

Thanks everyone,

Scott

I don't use built-in system restore at all but that's just me.

System Restore is most helpful on the drives where the data is constantly changing, so certainly your system drive should be selected also where you keep your works in progress would give you protection on the files you last worked on.

Any drives where the data stays constant would be less critical as the information wont have changed between the last restore point and the system going belly up.

Once the System Restore service is running in the background anyway I don't think there is much overhead between having one drive protected and having say 4 drives protected so I'd be tempted to have them all turned on.  You never know.

The only real exception to this would be if you had a dual boot set-up where you'd turn off System Restore for the drive that contained the alternative OS so that the System Restore didn't mess with that OS.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    apd2
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/07 20:14:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind response.

Scott

Asus P6Tes, i7 920, 6gigs Ram, Windows7/64bit,  Sonor Pro 8.5 64bit, Echo Layla 24, 
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/08 13:43:54 (permalink)
    Scott,

I do not believe that System Restore will help protect and restore any of your music files, no matter which disk they are on.

According to Microsoft, the following features ARE restored when using System Restore:

* Windows Registry
        * Local Profiles
        * COM+ DB
        * WFP.dll cache
        * WMI DB
        * IIS Metabase

According to Microsoft, the following ARE NOT restored when using the System Restore feature:

* DRM settings
        * Passwords in the SAM hive
        * WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
        * Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK e.g. 'My Documents' folder.
        * Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files (e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.)
        * Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (HKLM\System\Controlset001\Control\Backuprestore\Filesnottobackup and Keysnottorestore) in the registry.
        * User-created data stored in the user profile
        * Contents of redirected folders

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/08 16:30:51 (permalink)

It was a hot 4th here. 164 degrees. I actually saw a man burst into flames right on the sidewalk. No lie.

Windows' System Restore is a resource-hogging "utility". The only thing I've ever seen it do consistently is give people a false sense of security. Now, if that's all you want, then this is your tool.

However, if you'd like dependable disk backup or disk-imaging software, there are a few programs to choose from, some of which are even free. Paragon Software makes some, as does Acronis. Acronis isn't free, and I've seen its backups fail trying to copy Mac-created folders, but other than that, it works pretty well.

In general, you wouldn't necessarily want any app monitoring all the reads and writes on your data drive while you're recording, since that would slow everything down. If you're comfortable doing a weekly backup, you should be fine.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/08 17:43:56 (permalink)
    I don't find System restore to be a resource hogger, and it is a useful, practical tool within its limitations.

System restore does check-points only at certain times, and does not normally interfere with anything one is doing.

But my main use for it is to create a MANUAL system restore point, typically BEFORE I install some software, specially free ones that affect the registry. It only takes a few seconds.

VST's do not, as far as I know affect registry. Unless there were some malware.

I also use Acronis, as a backup. Typically I only back up the C: partition, which I keep on purpose rather small..All data is in a different partition. That partition can be a reliable external drive. I use a firewire drive for that.

Larrymcg is correct on what he posted. On "being a hog for resources", I'd appreciate a reference being cited, applicable to the current state of the art (or technology).

By the way, Acronis also runs as a process, and it does not consume CPU or anything that I can detect, to it affecting performance or results.

One reason why files of Mac or Linux don't always backup right is because some characters in Unix/Linux/BSD are not valid in Windows, and viceversa, for filenames...Using usual filenames is not a problem, though.
    post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/08 17:45:03
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Should Protection Settings Be On for all HD's? 2010/07/09 13:09:57 (permalink)
    NoKey

By the way, Acronis also runs as a process, and it does not consume CPU or anything that I can detect, to it affecting performance or results....

Actually, Acronis (True Image) doesn't need to be installed and running.  You can install it once, create a bootable CD/DVD, then uninstall it, and just use the disc for making backups and restoring.  (I use it this way on both XP and Vista, and don't have the program installed on either of my machines).

Otherwise I agree with the other comments - especially about System Restore.  Sometimes it works, but mostly - as someone as already said - it just gives a false sense of security.  I've seen it "fail" too many times to ever rely on it for anything critical.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1