oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back

Author
fastnbulbous
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2010/07/07 18:09:48 (permalink)

oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back

OK so...
Windows XP user - I have M-Audio Delta AP Multi sound card for recording, and Vinyl AC'97 for playback in Music Creator 5... don't ask me why. This is just the only way that it works. I had a friend put a sound card in for me years ago and he did a bang-up job, I guess.

Every once in awhile, when I open MC, I will get the message that the playback audio device (Vinyl AC) is in use with another program (probably Windows Media Player - I'm sorry I don't remember the exact phrasing of the message)... this has never been a problem, as I know to click "use anyway" and then close MC, and restart the computer.

But this time I clicked "disable", and now MC won't let me enable the device...?! I see it in the drop-down menu under Audio Settings>Playback, but when I click on it and push "OK", it resets back to no selection.

What do I do?!

4 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back 2010/07/07 18:50:52 (permalink)
    You have to reinstall the drivers for the M-Audio card. It has a separate clock from the built in chip and that will cause nothing but trouble.

Go to M-Audios website and download the drivers for your card and install them. Next go back and add the M-Audio card as both the record and playback timer, and it should all work.

Oh attach the speakers or headphone to the m-audio.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    fastnbulbous
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back 2010/07/07 19:31:13 (permalink)
    ouch that's not the easy fix I was hoping for. :( oh well, I will give it a try.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back 2010/07/07 21:44:49 (permalink)
    you really do need to use just ONE interface/card for both input and output. You're asking for trouble and frustration by using 2 cards at the same time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:oops! I disabled the audio device and can't get it back 2010/07/09 12:38:16 (permalink)
    Re-installing the driver is not a difficult fix. Go here and find the driver for your Operating SAystem and save it to a folder and run the install for it.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1