Helpful Reply!!!!M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610 questions (dirrect monitoring). Also, ProFire vs Edirol UA-25EX!!!

Author
daeser1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2010/07/08 00:52:03 (permalink)

!!!!M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610 questions (dirrect monitoring). Also, ProFire vs Edirol UA-25EX!!!

This might seem like a stupid question, but i'm sure other non-experienced users may benefit from the answer. How do i set up my interface so that I am able to hear myself (live-time) as i record my vocals? I use to do it through my old interface (UA-25EX), but i don't see a dirrect monitoring button or nob on my Profire. Can this be done through Sonar (I have Sonar 8 PRO).

I recently "upgraded" from an Edriol UA-25EX to the M-Audio ProFire 610, but the ProFire really doesn't seem to have as many bells and whistles (including the about of nobs, direct monitoring switches, sensitivity nobs, compressor nobs, etc.). I was assured by many people that this interface is better, but i'm not sure what makes it better. Can anyone put this into laments terms for me. 
post edited by daeser1 - 2010/07/09 22:59:27
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:!!!!M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610 questions (dirrect monitoring). Also, ProFire vs Edirol UA-25EX 2010/07/10 19:55:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I have never used that interface, but a quick reading of the manual indicates that low latency monitoring control is accomplished through a software "mixer" application loaded into your computer with the drivers. So instead of knobs or fixed outputs, you need to set up the monitor routing/mix with your computer. The result will be the same type of low latency monitoring you are used to, because the input and output controlled by that mixer application does not go through Sonar. The section you need to study is titled "about overdub recording and monitor mixing" in your manual. Note that only some outputs of the mixer can be sent to the headphone jacks on your interface.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:!!!!M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610 questions (dirrect monitoring). Also, ProFire vs Edirol UA-25EX 2010/07/11 01:55:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I was assured by many people that this interface is better, but i'm not sure what makes it better. Can anyone put this into laments terms for me.

The software control panel allows you to control the ProFire's onboard hardware based monitoring.
There's an icon in the lower right corner of the task bar (to bring up the M-Audio Control Panel)
BUT
It's hidden by default (by Windows7)
To unhide the icon, right-click on the clock (right side of task-bar) and select Customize Notification Icons. 
Look for the M-Audio Control Panel and change its behavior to "Show Icon and Notifications".

You should now be able to click on the M-Audio icon to open its control panel.
You can control all cue mix parameters via this applet.
The ProFire is a better unit across the board.
  • Lower noise-floor
  • Lower RTL (round-trip latency)
  • More I/O
Give yourself some time to get up-to-speed with all the new gear.
Once you're over the learning curve, you'll appreciate the unit.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
daeser1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
Re:!!!!M-AUDIO PROFIRE 610 questions (dirrect monitoring). Also, ProFire vs Edirol UA-25EX 2010/07/11 02:46:47 (permalink)
I have never used that interface, but a quick reading of the manual indicates that low latency monitoring control is accomplished through a software "mixer" application loaded into your computer with the drivers

Hey sorry about that. See, the interface only came with a Quick Start Guide which didn't explain that. The disk that came with the ProFire didn't work on my OS, so i had to get an updated driver (for win7 64-bit). And some how in the process i completely missed the tutorial and also the regular (full-length) user guide. I actually just found it a few hours before you guys posted the answer on here.

Unfortunately even on the digital software mixer doesn't have the "direct monitoring" option. So, i was messing around in Sonar and hit the "ECHO" switch (which usually gives me an echo that is almost 3 seconds late), and all of a sudden it was doing the "direct monitoring" with a very minimal delay. Now, I am very inexperienced when compared to most users on here, but I think it has something to do with the latency difference of my old and new interfaces. I'm guessing that the reason it was lagging 3 seconds behind is because my old interface either wasn't set up correctly or had a longer round trip latency than my new one.

Thanx guys.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1