audio playback only on one side

Author
49erxc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/07/08 07:30:34 (permalink)

audio playback only on one side

I have been using music creator for a while now with no big problems but recently the audio playback is only coming out of the right side of my headphones.  this makes it nearly impossible to work on a project and i can't seem to find a solution to the problem.  I downloaded the new update for Windows 7 and this didn't seem to do anything for this problem.  If you have any advice on what i can do please let me know.  Thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 07:43:58 (permalink)
    tell us about the system, and especially the sound card you are using.

I'm thinking it is probably in the audio settings and panning. but fill in the info for us first.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 09:19:12 (permalink)
    Yep. You left out all the info we need for answering. It hasn't got anything to do with Windows, I'm sure.

Are the tracks mono or stereo and do they have material on both left and right channel? Do the level meters show activity on both sides?
    Could it be you have recorded only on the other side of a stereo track?
    Like Guitarhacker wrote: How are the pannings of the tracks or master bus?

Is there any difference between the earlier projects that played ok and the ones that are now one sided?

How have you eliminated physical cause (broken plug or cable)?

If there's meter activity on both sides I bet the cause is a broken cable or plug.
    post edited by Kalle Rantaaho - 2010/07/08 09:20:23

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    49erxc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 09:35:33 (permalink)
    My sound card is an m-audio fastrack usb.  i have all the most recent drivers and updates for it.  i always record tracks as mono because i have always read that guitar/vocals should be recorded that way.  even if the panning is split right down the middle it all plays on one side (even if i do move it all to the opposite side).  i have tested my headphones on other devices so i know there isnt a broken cable there.

even the "studio instruments" that i put in my projects only playback on one side.

the only difference that i can think of is that i have gotten windows 7, but guitarhacker said that is not the issue.

Also, when I export the audio and play it through windows media player, using my computers internal soundcard, it plays back on both sides with whatever panning i programmed it to do.

I hope this helps you guys, if you need anything else let me know, and I really appreciate your help.  thanks
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 10:52:15 (permalink)
    Check the Fast Track mixer.
    In MC, ensure that a stereo output is selected under Playback Timing Master, or whatever it's called in MC 5... wait, which version of MC do you have?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 11:24:23 (permalink)
    Also, when I export the audio and play it through windows media player, using my computers internal soundcard, it plays back on both sides with whatever panning i programmed it to do.

then you've got a problem with either:
    * your bus output set to MONO or is panned to one side
    * your fast track mixer is panned all the way to one channel or one channel is muted
    * your fast track hardware could be broken
    * your cables or headphones connected to the fast track could be broken

do a process of elimination to figure out which of those is causing the problem.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:audio playback only on one side 2010/07/08 16:51:56 (permalink)
    if this is still happening...check the headphones on a stereo system to be sure they are working...

Also... check into the windows mixer and be sure you don't have anything panned hard or muted..... not sure if that is the problem but it don't hurt to double check.

also: does the fast track have a software mixer panel..... My saffire does and what I set or adjust in there sure affects the sound I hear.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/08 16:53:07

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1