ozone test drive

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2010/07/10 17:46:14 (permalink)

ozone test drive

these forums seem to be really the only ones that praise Ozone 4, whereas gearslutz, homerecording, etc... just say it's just a waste of time.

Any rate, giving my $.02, using the trial and experimenting on final mixes for a couple days, I think I'm glad I use Sonar, because it seems I really have all the tools already.

I actually did't find the parametric any better than Harbal, and the mastering reverb, exciter, loudness maximizer and widener, I don't think I'd ever use.  Kinda in the BBE catagory, that sounds great the first day....next morning, even if subtle, you realize it isn't the direction you want to go in.

Admittedly, the first 20 minutes blew me away, and I was ready to pull the trigger, but thought I ought to be patient and let the 10 day demo play out.

AFTER careful volume matching, I think the Sonar tools are actually better.

It was a head scratcher if the MS processing was needed or not.... 

Why am I posting this>>  ??  Because I felt people that think they need to buy BOTH Sonar and Ozone at the same time, might purchase Sonar first...then make a decision.  Might save you 200 bananas.
post edited by mixmkr - 2010/07/10 17:57:59

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

6 Replies Related Threads

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/10 19:40:14 (permalink)
    I agree with you. Which is why I have never purchased the package. I think its advantage is that it is an environment designed for mastering with great documentation and thoughtful ideas which can educate the user. But, once you understand the approach, you can most certainly get similar results with Sonar, except for the limiting. 3rd party is a requirement such as Elephant or the UAD precision limiter.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/11 11:30:12 (permalink)
    My own experience was that I didn't start getting acceptable results with Ozone until I'd been using it for several months.

Not because it's hard, but because it's too easy! You throw it on and immediately think, "yeh, that sounds better". But before I could really get good results I had to dig into it, learn its subtleties and experiment, which took time. Certainly far more time than the trial period would have allowed. It's no surprise that many new users run through the presets and can't see what the big deal is.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/11 12:59:53 (permalink)
    The presets are set up to show what they do and little else really. Ozone is to be used sparingly on all parts of the package. If you use any part of it above 'just noticeable' then you'll run into problems.

The hardest part for people is that they think their mix should go from OK to Wow, when it fact your mix should already be Wow and you should end up with Wow! - all you add is the !

As you said though, there are many ways to skin a cat, like in all parts of recording and you can get fine results within many DAWs.

Getting your mix to 'Wow' is the secret anyway.
    post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/07/11 13:01:14
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/11 16:41:25 (permalink)
    It's no surprise that many new users run through the presets and can't see what the big deal is.

The presets are set up to show what they do and little else really.

It would be real easy to be sarcastic and say; "thanks for the tip", but gimme some credit guys.
    The first thing I noticed WAS the presets were total garbage and that a fair test drive was to start from null... WITH careful volume matching.

Anyrate, I think Ozone has some definate value.  I just am giving Sonar the edge.  It's like a learning tool... the same many have said about Harbal.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/11 22:12:06 (permalink)
    i agree with Bit in post 3 and striking in post 4.....

It takes time to work with Ozone...... even starting with a preset..... you have to customize them and then you customize them again.

What I find myself doing is starting with a specific customized preset...simply as a starting point. The project should sound good already. But when I add the customized preset, I find I always need to make adjustments...sometimes minor and sometimes major...to the starting point to get the project sounding right. I want it to sound good but natural.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:ozone test drive 2010/07/12 12:46:45 (permalink)
    If you want something S8.5 don't have go for T-Racks. The deluxe plugs offer some great vintage sound (that said I still love Sonar's TL64 when mixing).

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1