The Terminator will get you.

Author
feedback50
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
2010/07/11 16:00:31 (permalink)

The Terminator will get you.

I recently added a rack-mount A/D system to augment my Yamaha console, both of which feed ADAT into my RME card in the PC. I had to extend my word clock cables to reach the new unit. I've always just used a 75 ohm cable between the RME (as master) and the Yamaha console. I never could determine if the Yamaha console had an internal terminator or not, but the little Sync light on the console always let up when the computer was on, so I never gave it much thought. In adding the second unit, I bought some T connectors and a terminator to extend the cable (about $6 total). What I've noticed since adding the external termination is that my stereo imaging is more solid than it used to be. The center channel is almost 3D and panning sounds much more definative than it did before. Also it seems like the low end is more pronounced. All due to adding proper termination to the word clock line. Go figure?

3 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:The Terminator will get you. 2010/07/11 22:06:43 (permalink)
    cool!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:The Terminator will get you. 2010/07/14 11:12:36 (permalink)
    feedback50

I recently added a rack-mount A/D system to augment my Yamaha console, both of which feed ADAT into my RME card in the PC. I had to extend my word clock cables to reach the new unit. I've always just used a 75 ohm cable between the RME (as master) and the Yamaha console. I never could determine if the Yamaha console had an internal terminator or not, but the little Sync light on the console always let up when the computer was on, so I never gave it much thought. In adding the second unit, I bought some T connectors and a terminator to extend the cable (about $6 total). What I've noticed since adding the external termination is that my stereo imaging is more solid than it used to be. The center channel is almost 3D and panning sounds much more definative than it did before. Also it seems like the low end is more pronounced. All due to adding proper termination to the word clock line. Go figure?

Clock quality does alter the sound and sending your clock down a wire (of any kind) is perilous. It's too bad there is not a good way to test it or determine when the connection needs termination.  Congrats on your setup, I like it when things improve (instead of degrade) by chance.
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:The Terminator will get you. 2010/07/26 20:35:59 (permalink)
    It is not difficult to verify if a clock input is terminated or not.
    Normally the hw specs state that. When there is not a switch or sw setting, it is usually terminated.
    You can use T connectors to chain clock inputs only when all inputs but the last one are not terminated, only the last input in the extreme must be terminated. The line must always be a bus, it must not have any branches, the t connectors can only be placed directly on the inputs without any extra cable branch.
    If inputs are terminted, you must not use T connectors, but chain from each output to next input.
    If termination is not correct, jitter can be much higher, caused by reflections in the wire. And the longer the wire, the larger the jitter.
    Watching the clock signal in an oscilloscope can definitelly tell if the line is properly terminated or not. Also most often an ohm meter can also be used to check if an input is terminated. The ohm meter method is not 100% safe, (will fail if the input has a DC decoupling capacitor before the termination resistor), but works in most cases. Another reliable method is to place a 75 ohm resistor in series with the input: if the input is terminated the AC voltage in the input will be 1/2 of that before the series resistor, and nearly identical if the input is not terminated.
    Also, TosLink, TDIF, SPDIF, AES-EBU, etc, have embedded clock. You can always lock to them instead of using a dedicated wordclock input. In the case of optical connections this is usually preferable.

post edited by jcatena - 2010/07/28 02:52:57

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1