Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave?

Author
nomad
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2010/07/12 19:25:22 (permalink)

Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave?

My brain might just be misfiring, but I can think of the proper terminology for what I am looking to research.

Basically, I am looking to take recorded sound effects and (hopefully) match their waves to a recorded voice.

For instance: take a dog's bark and combine it with a speaking human voice, so that I create a voice that sounds somewhat like a dog speaking English.

I have a sci fi alien character that I am attempting to combine some sounds on to make that creature's voice... And before I go to town mixing and matching everything painstakingly by hand for each and every bit... I was wondering if there may be existing programs/software that could help me.

What I want is to set one sound wave as the dominant sound wave. And then add other wave files, but in a way so that their parameters match that of the dominant sound wave (The human voice).

Does anyone understand what I mean? And is there a term for this type of process? (Is it many different processes, depending on whih parameter I want to match, perhaps? What parameters need to be matched in order fit with a human's speaking voice?)

And are there programs that will do this for me and/or help me to do it?

I'm sure I've heard of Ben Burtt messing with these ideas (You can do it manually, by creating sound effects along with a voice... such as Jabba the Hutt's slimey ooze sounds in combination with the vocal audio... but I would like to take pre-existing sound effects [and types that I cannot simply create on my own] and match them to another sound after the fact), but I am not sure if there have been any digital advances on accomplishing this.
It might be prevalent (And I just don't know what to look for) or I might be on my own here, hehe.

Thank you for any help!

(And, yes, there are so many questions in this... if you can answer just one, you are being very helpful!!)

8 Replies Related Threads

mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/12 20:06:37 (permalink)
    Play around with a convolution reverb. Use the dog's bark as the impulse. Play around with the impulse - where it starts and where it ends on the bark. Probably try using 100% wet first then blend in some dry to taste. Don't know if it will get the sound you want, be it'll certainly be weird and interesting!

And maybe there is an unusual vocoder plug out there that will somehow allow this to be used... Not sure on that one though.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/12 20:40:20 (permalink)
    Yea, convolution. But also "morphing," tho that is switching vol between the two sounds. 

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/13 00:49:29 (permalink)
    Maybe a vocoder is the effect the OP is looking for?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    nomad
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/13 01:37:10 (permalink)
    Okay... Might be getting somewhere (Although, I just know I'll end up doing it all by hand... still, you never know what you'll find by looking around, whether it works or not, it may lead to something or other some day in the future).

So, I found a Voxendo convolution reverb and set it up to mess with very quickly... But I wasn't able to get it to do anything I wanted right away (I thought it might just be intuitive enough to do it without reading up, but it was not to be so). So, I will read up on it when I have time later.

However, a vocoder could very well be the simple answer.
    The question is whether there are vocoders where I can fully customize the base sound.

Using the dog/human voice example... Can I make the dog bark the vocoder's sound and then use the human voice to make it "speak"?
    (I can layer in the two sounds as well, to give it a little more definition, if need be).

I kept thinking, what I could use is a talk box setup, where the actor speaks the words through a filter that, instead of using a wah wah effect (Or the usual robotic vocoder effect, in the case of a vocoder), uses the dog barking sound.

Hmmmm

Oh, if you have any VSTs in mind, please let me know.
    And thank you very much for the replies! :)
    post edited by nomad - 2010/07/13 01:38:30
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/13 08:50:08 (permalink)
    i was thinking Vocoder as well. there should be a number available as plugs.... use Google to search.

Probably a free one out there somewhere... although the free one is likely to have fewer functions and parameters to play with.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/13 08:51:09

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/13 11:01:12 (permalink)
    The hardware vocoders I've used take two audio inputs, but the software vocoders you see nowadays only take one audio input and generate the other internally as a drone. Not what you want. I'm really not into vocoders anymore, but my understanding is that the best of the lot is the Orange Vocoder, which purportedly allows two inputs. It's kinda pricey, about $300 IIRC, but a demo is available.

Here's a free one that lets you capture a wave to use as the carrier: Vokov Vocoder.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2010/07/13 11:07:10

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    nomad
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/14 01:50:17 (permalink)
    I had stumbled onto that Orange Box during my previous searches.
    I may have to look into that more in the future.

That Vokov Vocoder is doing the trick!!
    Thank you so much :)
    We'll see how it goes, but just with a quick session, I got something really close to what I was imagining! This will definitely save me a lot of time and work. I may still do some manual work along with it here and there, but... yeah, this technique is great.

I'll have to post the results when I get there!

I'm curious to try the dog thing now, as that was just a random example I threw out there to explain.
    The voice I am working on right now is a bit more disgusting... using belching and glurping sounds for this very odd alien, hehe.

Thank you very much for the replies, everyone!
    nomad
    Re:Matching a Sound Wave's vocal parameters to Another Sound Wave? 2010/07/15 15:13:48 (permalink)
    [went to post elsewhere and it put it here... oddly...]
    post edited by nomad - 2010/07/15 15:14:53
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1