'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song - Remixed

Author
Jackel
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 398
2010/07/12 23:13:00 (permalink)

'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song - Remixed

I added acoustic guitar, tweeked the drums both the sound and some of the rythms, redid the base in the bridge, pulled out a lot of the electric, changed the first hit on the chorus, remixed all.

Remix - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9470695
Original - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9392187 
Hot off the presses.  It's a pretty basic 4 piece.  Drums Bass Piano & guitar.  Planning to add acoustic guitar and possibly split the electric into a rythme and lead. 

All comments welcome.

post edited by Jackel - 2010/07/31 22:29:22

Jeff 
i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

Sonar X3d - Ableton Live 8 - Komplete 9 - Ivory 2 - Spectrasonics - Plus...

16 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/13 09:34:52 (permalink)
    Pretty cool tune. I liked the quality of the vocal but thought it may have been a little loud in comparison to the other instruments. The vocal had a restrained quality to it where certain parts seemed to call for a more forceful attack. I can relate to that since I record in a small apartment and I don't want to scare the neighbors. Some of the pitches in the vocal line where there were larger intervallic jumps were a little shaky. One of the hardest things for a vocalist to do is to sing a melody line where you have to jump between notes that aren't close together. I would suggest using v-vocal, or similar application, to tidy up those "in between" pitches.

Other than those minor quibbles I thought it sounded pretty good.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/15 21:53:45 (permalink)
    It's a nice tune. I agree that the vocal could be dropped back into the mix just a little. It's plenty understandable so I don't think there's any worries about it getting lost. A little ambience on it would also blend it in a little more. But anyway, it's a nice tune and the vocal performance is good and sounds confident.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/16 14:42:23 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I was way too lazy in trying to get the song posted and gave a very broad brush treatment to pitch correction which led to the funny sounding note transitions.  Agreed it's too loud.  I need to figure out how to eq out a space for it.  Whenever I have it at the leve I want I loose bits of it in the mix.  So I crank it up and hate it anyway.  I wish I could put more spit on the vocal especially popping the chorus but I haven't got anything in the tank for that.  I have a really great singer who I may be able to enlist on this though. 

So I appreciate the positive feedback but if I can be honest I was looking for a little more response on this tune as I really enjoyed writing it and I enjoy listening to it now.  45 views in and just 2 responses both of which were nice but luke warm.  Generally that means boring as crap to me.  Can someone help me understand why this song hasn't stood out more?  I don't mean the recording because I know I'm a mediocre musician and engineer.  What is missing from the song itself?

I hope to get my son to record the acoustic track tomorrow afternoon and I have undone most of the pitch correction so it sounds much more natural now.  Didn't really need that much correction on this one anyway.  I'll post the update but will incorporate feedback here as well possibly.
    Thanks

Jeff
    post edited by Jackel - 2010/07/16 14:44:44

Jeff 
    i7 - Win7 64 - 12GB 1066 RAB - 128GB SSD Boot Drive - 2x1TB Data Drives - Nvidia GeForce 640 2GB Video - Mackie Blackbird - Grace M101 - KRK Vxt8's RP5's - UAD Solo

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/16 16:47:51 (permalink)
    Jeff:

I wouldn't sweat the views/post ratio. It has been waaay down the last few months, dunno why.

And I have always loved your voice: it has some great tones, if not always on pitch.

As for the tune:
    • the dynamics going from verse to chorus just isn't there. Could be the performance, could be the recording, but it just does not work. Kinda more of the same, YKWIM? Which is a shame cuz by themselves both the verses and the chorus works, just not together
    • The middle eight is great, best I have heard on the forum in some time. 
    • Overall, the arrangement is kinda busy, too much drums, guitar licks flying all over the place, when the focus should be the singer and the piano.

fHumble fHingaz
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/16 16:51:42 (permalink)
    I really like the songwriting on this one... I actually like the timbre of the vocalists voice too, but yeah, there's some iffy pitching happening.  Apart from polishing the vocals,one of the other things I noticed was that the drums sound like a stock preset kit - I'd suggest using a less obviously "room mic'ed sounding" kit & put in more tightly mic'ed samples & add you own ambience that works across all the other elements in the mix, & puts it all in the same "room".  The acoustic guitar should help the rhythm to flow a little better too. At present the track sounds a little like a demo, but it really has the potential to sound good.  Good job!
    Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/17 20:03:08 (permalink)
    James,

Always interesting and valuable comments from you.  What is YKWIM?  My son isnt cooperating to get the guitar track recorded so I am going to bring in a friend instead.  Ill play a round with pulling the electric out and just doing and acoustic version.  I probably don't agree on the more of the same between the verse and chorus and I'm trying to look at it objectively but who knows if I am able to do that.  I've gotten feedback in multiple places that the vocal hitting the chorus needs to punch more.  Hopefully I can accomplish that and it will improve your hearing of it as well. 

Glad you liked the bridge.  That is my favorite part actually and I had considered pulling it out and writing a whole song around it.  Maybe I will some day.

fHumble,

Thanks for the feedback.  I think the current version Im working on is much better vocally but I still struggle to capture any live performance.  I'm using ezdrummer pop kit on this.  I have lots of drum kits to choose from between that and Battery.  Ill play with a few and see what I get.  I don't really have an ear for drum sounds so its a tough one for me.

Thanks both.  Check out my other posting.  completely different vibe.

Jeff 

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/18 11:28:41 (permalink)
    Jeff

It just might be my classical training showing through, but I hate the panning of the piano. I think it would work a lot better if the piano and guitar switched sides.

Nice piece

Ron
    Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/19 16:47:53 (permalink)
    I didn't even consider that.  I know there is some convention as to how an orchestra is laid out or even placement of a band but I've never even thought of it when panning.  I just pick a side.  Does it make a difference to the ear if you haven't been taught the way things "Aught" to be?  Or is it simply convention?

Jeff 

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/19 17:37:25 (permalink)
    Just tried to listen several times but it won't play. I've been listening to others on soundclick so I don't think the prob is with my pc or soundclick in general -  Might explain the lack of responses although as Jamesyoyo said, the views/replies ratio does seem to be a lot lower lately for some reason.
    Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/19 17:47:26 (permalink)
    Thanks paulo, I made it downloadable.  Maybe that will help.  It plays on my computers so I don'w know what would cause that.

Jeff 

chrome
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/20 08:00:37 (permalink)
    Nice song indeed. The best thing is your voice! I like the broken beat on the drums, but it gets a bit monotone after a while.

I think you can do one of three things:

1. Really dont care about whatever I say and leave it :D

2. Slow it down, "less is more". Leave the guitars for the chorus etc. 

3. Beef it up. More drums, maybe a bit more electronic feel. Multitap-delay U2 guitars. More urgency in the voice...yeah, more bacon? :D

its a good song, but it is a bit in between in my mind. 

Alal in all, good performances, and a the voice has this warm, really nice timbre to it.

void
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/20 08:57:13 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,
    I like the song a lot.  Forgive if i repeat anything above but i haven't read it all....vox are great but too up front....drums might benefit from some comp or at least more beefy eq....perhaps add some zing as you enter chorus with a mounting (subtle) 1/8 notes on either guitar (crunch) or bass/drums. 
    To my ears it's a fine song that just needs a bit of verve.
    And to my novice mind that spells compression although there are more evolved opinions here to reap from.

Thanks for posting.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/20 18:15:13 (permalink)
    OK, came by for another look and it's working today.......

On the whole I think it's pretty good - nice clarity to the mix generally and your voice is really good. If it were mine I'd give it some more beans in the chorus sections - a bit more attitude, bring the guitars up and really make it fly to provide a bit more contrast to the verses.

As usual just the opinions of a listener  - I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Thanks for sharing.
    Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/20 18:55:18 (permalink)
    Chrome,  Of course I care!!  thats why I post.  Slowing it down would leave the vocal dragging pretty bad in a few parts so I can't see that one although I am considering pulling some things out especially in the second verse. 

NoHow, either your novice mind speaks to mine or you do have some know how.  I listened to the track again after reading your comments and I think I could hear how to fillin the chorus to create more distinction between sections.  I'm going to play around with pulling some guitar out of the verses and adding another instrument to the chorus as well.
    as some hit to really punch up the "Who" in "whose gonna break my fall"

Paulo - Thank for listening.  I think more beans might be just the thing ;) your thoughts are consistent with other posters and I really love that with all the comments I can really start to understand how someone else is hearing my work.  Thanks again.

Jeff 

Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/07/31 22:30:31 (permalink)
    I added acoustic guitar, tweeked the drums both the sound and some of the rythms, redid the base in the bridge, pulled out a lot of the electric, changed the first hit on the chorus, remixed all.

Remix - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9470695

Jeff 

Jackel
    Re:'(Who's gonna)Break my fall' Original Song 2010/08/02 09:40:34 (permalink)
    OK.  So I actually tried to address many of the issues you guys brought up.  Any Followups on how I did here?

Jeff 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1