Helpful ReplyI have 2 options for recording guitars...

Author
Embryo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2010/07/14 21:51:25 (permalink)

I have 2 options for recording guitars...

I am about to spend some money, and I want to know which route to go.

I am considering purchasing a DI box to run my Epiphone Valve Jr through so I can record it direct, without mic/speakers.  Is this possible with a DI box?  Whether I use my Valve Jr or not, is it possible with tube amps to record them direct?  Solid state?  All I have is a Speaker Output, 16, 8 and 4 ohms.  No Line Out.

OR I could buy an amp modeler...I had the POD with the 2.0 upgrade, which is basically an artifact now I assume.  I also inherited my dads old Boss ME-5 which is just ancient, still has some awesome 80s sounds.  But anyway, if I went the amp modeler route, like a V-Amp, would I also need a good preamp?  I have an Edirol UA-25EX which has mic preamps, but IDK if this improves the guitar sound.

If anyone can answer any of my questions or give any advice on any of this, thank you in advance!

Sonar 8 PE 32bit Intel Pentium Dual CPU 2 GHz - 1GB RAM

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/14 23:54:20 (permalink)
The DI box will raise your guitar instrument signal to line level so you can record it directly.  Most also have a separate output to run back into your amp, so you could DI and mic the amp at once.  Radial seems to be everyone's fav for guitar for less than $200.

No, don't plug a speaker out into a line input tho I'm sure you know that.

An amp modeler shouldn't need a preamp or anything else - just plug guitar in one side and take the sound out of the other.  Of course, I'm not familiar w/ all or even many of them, but I assume they have a line output (if not digital).  It should be an all in one solution.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/15 08:39:33 (permalink)
A direct box is but one way to get a guitar into the mix.   It is a workable method.

I have avoided a DI on my guitar since I feel that a speaker is an important part of the signal. A speaker can make the guitar sound good whereas a different brand will sound totally different..... and you loose that speaker connection with a DI. A DI can sound stiff and artificial if you are not careful. Proper use of reverb FX can help in that area greatly.

Having said that, I generally use a POD2 (the red kidney bean) for recording my guitars. I bought it used on Ebay for about $140. It has an "air" switch that supposedly emulates the speakers and the room sound for a "more realistic" guitar sound. Pretty much ALL my guitar tracking on all my songs on my soundclick site are done with the POD.

Another nice thing about the POD2.... I can record with cans and no one hears my noise.

I also have, but tend not to use very often, the software modelers. I simply plug the guitar directly into the Saffire interface and run the modeler in an audio channel. The ones I have (2 different modelers) are pretty resource heavy..... they sound pretty good, but so far I have just experimented with them. When I have music to record, I know what settings on the POD2 will get the sound I like..... and it's really easy to use.....plus it sounds pretty decent.  No one has ever complained about my tone....and if I like it and it works for me...... who cares?

Another option is a mic. A guitar amp properly miked with a nice mic is a hard combination to beat.

Think about it, and then choose your path.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/15 20:05:51 (permalink)
I am considering purchasing a DI box to run my Epiphone Valve Jr through so I can record it direct, without mic/speakers.  Is this possible with a DI box? 

Yes ........

Hughes Kettner or Palmer and many others .......will work.

But anyway, if I went the amp modeler route, like a V-Amp, would I also need a good preamp
?

No, but it will be helpful..............with Amp modelers I have also found some type of outboard Parametric or Shelving EQ helpful as well............whether it is in a mixer , rack or channel strip doesn't matter.

Your Ediro will work great if you just want to use  some in the box EQ.

A Note................

If you are looking at a Behringer Modeler.................Look at the V-Amp Pro or the V-Ampire Amp................These have the same processing and work well on a budget.............and most of all they are quiet...

The cheaper V-Amp fake bean....is noisy.............not in a good way just cheap-o noisy.

Look down a few threads and you will see a thread I started with some quick and dirty V-Amp Pro  samples....

Good Luck.

zungle
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/15 20:11:45 (permalink)
Heres a link to some V-Amp Pro demos(very much demo)........

Same guitar 3 different tones............

http://www.4shared.com/u/...l?sId=HJNNjTilyNF224JL

Open My Shared  "Music"Folder to right of page and download or stream mp3.
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 15:37:45 (permalink)
I don't typically have the option to mic an amp........not if I want to maintain domestic tranquility, anyway. I think your Pod should be fine, just update the software

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Embryo
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 15:51:20 (permalink)
Thank you this has been helpful!

Embryo
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 15:52:20 (permalink)
Yeah that is my issue too, I can really only play the amp during the afternoon, when I am rarely home.  I am a night owl, I stay up till early morning working on my music so I need silence.

ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 16:16:53 (permalink)
Embryo

Whether I use my Valve Jr or not, is it possible with tube amps to record them direct?  Solid state?  All I have is a Speaker Output, 16, 8 and 4 ohms.  No Line Out.

I'm surprised nobody jumped on that part.  Not to insult your intelligence, but I hope you know you can't use your speaker outs into a DI box unless it's designed for it, and without driving a speaker cabinet too.  I used to use a DI Box religiously (Behringer GI100), and pretty much loved the sound over any mic'd sound I could achieve, although much of that was lack of engineering talent on my part.  Nevertheless, the DI box had a "direct link" output so that if you used your "speaker out" signal instead of your "line out" signal into the DI, you could run a cable to your speaker cabinet because your amp needs the load - especially tube amps. 

Luckily mine had a line out and I would just unplug my speaker cab to get perfectly quiet recording.  You don't have a line out, so I'm pretty sure you're going to need to send your speaker out to the DI box, and then from the direct link output to a speaker cabinet or load of some kind.  Of course there's the regular line level output from the DI to your audio interface for your recording. 

Anybody, please berate me if I'm mistaken, I just hate to see somebody fry their stuff. 
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 16:44:15 (permalink)
Anybody, please berate me if I'm mistaken, I just hate to see somebody fry their stuff.

You're absolutely correct...
Many DI boxes can accept speaker output... but you need to have a speaker (or dummy load) connected to the tube amp.

If absolute silence is a must, I'd invest in a quality DI box... and use the AmpSim plugin that sounds best to your ears.
Using a POD or similar is another option... as is using something like a Vox ValveTonix amp's line (headphone) output.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Embryo
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 21:44:23 (permalink)
I was aware I couldn't go speaker out - line in.  I meant was it possible to record a tube amp direct using a preamp.  So there are indeed preamps that I can just connect the speaker output to the DI input and then to the audio interface?  And do the Palmer and the H&K Redbox do this?  It doesn't specify in any reviews I read whether it does tube amps.

zungle
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 22:16:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpful

And do the Palmer and the H&K Redbox do this? 

Yes..................

Example..........

VJ speaker out......  to............Red Box input...........

Red Box speaker out...... to....... your VJ Speaker.

Red Box Cab Simulated output........ to.......... mixer or interface..............

This is covered in their manual......

And

There are other brands that do the same ............ 

Palmer being a good high end model..........

Check 'em out.

zungle
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 22:19:48 (permalink)
Bats Brew would be a member to get some good info from..............

He is using a Palmer  in his set up, with some tube amps ........

He gets very quality tone on his recordings.........
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/16 23:22:31 (permalink)
Fishman and Radial are some other brands.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/21 07:04:25 (permalink)
Since I got my Pod, the only thing I've had to mic up guitar wise is when trying to get that metal "chugg" rhythm sound.

Everything else the Pod can do, from clean, through bluesy/break up etc.

I've also got a Bass V-Amp  which is superb for Bass tones. The bets piece of kit Behringer have ever made, IMHO

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Embryo
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/23 18:12:22 (permalink)
Thank you all for the replies, very helpful.  I am going for the Palmer.

zungle
Re:I have 2 options for recording guitars... 2010/07/25 22:53:15 (permalink)
The bets piece of kit Behringer have ever made, IMHO

Hey B.J......................

Its funny how we all hear different things.....................

I have owned several modelers and lots of Behringer gear.

I used a Bas V-Amp Pro for quite a while and feel like it is one of Behringers most lack luster products....ever.

Now I love the V-Amp Pro as a budget piece........

Glad you've had better luck than me though........

Maybe I missed something..........
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1