Helpful ReplyQuick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect?

Author
mbouteneff
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
2010/07/14 22:43:02 (permalink)

Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect?

Hi CW-ers,

A quick question (and possibly stupid simple):  What effect do you typically use to create rhythmic volume changes to a given beat for a given sustained sound?  I'm not sure how to describe it, but an example might be in the Green Day song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".  It opens with a pulsating electric guitar chord that's sustained, but is pulsating on/off in rapid succession.  Is that flange/delay/what?

Thanks!

-Mike

Mike
www.GarageSpin.com

(Sonar Producer 7, Reason 2.5)
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 00:55:32 (permalink)
TRy a compressor with a very fast attack and a very long release. you'll need to get the guitar sound on your own, but you can get a sustained effect from a compressor with those settings I just gave you

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 01:41:03 (permalink)
Gated?

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 02:13:27 (permalink)
I believe that Green Day effect is nothing more exotic than plain old tremelo. Same effect as Tommy James' vocal on Crimson 'N Clover.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 08:08:56 (permalink)
mbouteneff

the Green Day song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".  It opens with a pulsating electric guitar chord that's sustained, but is pulsating on/off in rapid succession.

I'm thinking....not having heard the song, but just from the description..... either as Bit says, tremolo..... or a manipulation of the volume knob.

Many years back Norman Breenbaughm did a song called Spirit In The Sky. The guitar did an ON/OFF thing in it too. The guitarist accomplished this by turning the volume on the main pickup up, and the other pickup totally off. then, to get the effect, he simply played the chord or note and switched back and forth on the pickup selector switch in time with the song tempo.  very cool effect.

Now.... up to the modern digital studio and how to get this effect in YOUR song.  

Think ENVELOPES.

You can insert a volume envelope and manually insert the nodes after zooming in to get the faders to rise and fall at the speed you need. Basically the envelope will look like a square-wave for that section where you want the effect..... ON..OFF..ON..OFF... and so on.

yep... just listened to the tune on youtube..... Norman's is slower....but very similar.  Tremolo set to a maximum sweep or intensity is what it sounds like.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/15 08:13:18

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 08:44:16 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
Many years back Norman Breenbaughm did a song called Spirit In The Sky. The guitar did an ON/OFF thing in it too. The guitarist accomplished this by turning the volume on the main pickup up, and the other pickup totally off. then, to get the effect, he simply played the chord or note and switched back and forth on the pickup selector switch in time with the song tempo.  very cool effect.
That's the biggest benefit of a Les Paul as far as I can tell...

And the GD guitar tone is just a deep tremolo.  Also used on The Smiths' How Soon Is Now quite well.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Daylaa
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 09:29:17 (permalink)
Sidechain?

Sonar X3 Producer
Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
32GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
M Audio Audiophile 192
M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
feedback50
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 19:49:35 (permalink)
I was thinking sidechain too. take a rhytmic part and insert a send from it to the side chain input of a gate/expander on the sustained tone you want to modulate?
Guitarhacker
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 21:57:14 (permalink)
I agree tremolo...... Norman's guitar player used the switch to cut it on and off.....

BMI/NSAI

mbouteneff
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 22:13:13 (permalink)
Guys,

Thanks for your help!  Yup, Tremolo is the effect I was looking for...  I don't recall Sonar having that effect...but then, maybe I somehow completely missed it?  I'll be sure to check.  Worst come to worst, I can go with envelopes, but that seems a little tedious.  Or some of the other solutions mentioned about.

Thanks so much, everyone!!  :)

-Mike

Mike
www.GarageSpin.com

(Sonar Producer 7, Reason 2.5)
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/15 23:49:28 (permalink)
Sonitus Modulator does tremolo. If that doesn't work for you there are lots of free/cheap amplitude modulators available.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Guitarhacker
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/16 07:38:01 (permalink)
Envelopes can be tedious but they are very useful to me, especially for mixing...adjusting levels and such.

I mentioned them in case you were looking for the "spirit in the sky" type of sound for a previously recorded guitar chord....... they would have gotten you there...with a bit of work.

BMI/NSAI

ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/17 18:38:36 (permalink)
mbouteneff

Hi CW-ers,

A quick question (and possibly stupid simple):  What effect do you typically use to create rhythmic volume changes to a given beat for a given sustained sound?  I'm not sure how to describe it, but an example might be in the Green Day song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams".  It opens with a pulsating electric guitar chord that's sustained, but is pulsating on/off in rapid succession.  Is that flange/delay/what?

Thanks!

-Mike

The 2 most standard ways (and I haven't heard the specific track) are:
1- Gating
2- Side Chaining

Each is somewhat complex if one is new to the methods.  However, they are easy once understood.

Example:

Have a kick playing quarter notes.  Setup a compressor (or gate) on the track "to be affected".   This wil then become the side-chain.

So on the kick track, you create a SEND to the compressor (or gate) on the track (let's call it Guitar track).    When setting up this send, you should see the input to the Guitar compressor as an option.   *THIS ASSUMES THE COMPRESSOR OR GATE IS SIDE-CHAIN ENABLED -- NOT ALL ARE*.

Then, by making adjustments to the compressor (or gate) on the guitar track, it will only 'sound' when the kick plays (ie, the side chain has input signal).

SO - if you were holding a long sustatin guitar chord, and if the above is setup correctly, you would hear that sustain chord sound as if it was playing quarter notes as the compressor/gate released the signal.

This is just one approach though probably the most employed.

Another approach is to use a Filter FX of some sort, but it must have either a gate function or a step sequencer that can affect its various parameters (like volume, etc).

And yet another approach is to simply setup a Volume Envelope on the Guitar track and create a series of nodes via the "draw" function for envelopes.  You could then create Sine, Square, or other waveforms via the draw function at the intervals you wish.     This technique probably takes the longest to setup and manage/edit, but still is a viable technique nonetheless.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
ba_midi
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/17 18:40:34 (permalink)
CJaysMusic

TRy a compressor with a very fast attack and a very long release. you'll need to get the guitar sound on your own, but you can get a sustained effect from a compressor with those settings I just gave you

I think you may have misunderstood the question, CJ.  The OP seems to be looking for the pulsating effect such as would be done via side-chaining/ducking, etc.

Compression alone won't accomplish that really.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
jcatena
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/26 21:18:49 (permalink)
The effect you are looking for is called vibrato, which is an amplitde modulator. MondoMod is a good and versatile one.
Tremolo is not the same thing, it is frequency modulation, what you do when swing or bend with your fingers of the left hand, or when you use the "tremolo" bar in guitars with floating bridge, or with a tremolo of frequency shifter/modulator plugin.

Jose Catena
DIGIWAVES, S.L.
dontletmedrown
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1722
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 13:03:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mbouteneff 2014/06/22 11:21:17
Oh boy, if you're going to offer up some advice, maybe take 10 seconds and checkout the song on youtube or something.  Like others have said, it's just a tremelo plug-in.  I remember reading an article where Billy Joe talks about it being locked to the session tempo.  That's gotta be real fun trying to mimic that with a sidechained gate.
jcatena
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 18:13:04 (permalink)
What's used in "boulevard of broken dreams" is amplitude modulation.
For me, in sound ingeniering, guitar and audio effects, vibrato is amplitude modulation and tremolo is pitch modulation.
I'm sorry for the confussion if i'm using different terms meanings: the fact is that you can find everywhere each of these terms used with both meanings, what does not help to know what's the right assignment. Dictionaries often describe both vibrato and tremolo as pitch modulation, so it does not help heither. The application of these terms in classical music is also confussing, where "tremolo" may be closer to amplitude modulation, but doesn't fit exactly either. In guitars, the floating bridge, which is pitch modulation, is called tremolo, and many guitar amps and effect boxes used the term vibrato for amplitude modulation, in these cases matching the definitions i use. Many other guitar effects also use the term tremolo for amplitude modulation. A mess.
Whatever the meaning you give to vibrato and tremolo, what the OP referrend to and what's used in "boulevard of broken dreams" is amplitude modulation.

Jose Catena
DIGIWAVES, S.L.
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 18:24:14 (permalink)
If using Sonar you have a cakewalk plug-in that comes with it.... ID remember the name not having it right in front of me but it is an effects box you can choose from verbs to flangers to delay and there is a nice variety of tremolo type sounds and modulators...  If I open my plug-ins list(Which I have like 60 Waves plugins a couple dozen Sonitus plugins, Sony plug-ins....) I just run my mouse over the cakewalk plug-ins and it is the last plug-in... there is Amp Sim and a couple more crappy plug-ins..lol(sorry love you Sonar) and at the bottom is this one usit.. the only plug-in I ever use from Cakewalk.

It is actual a cool plug-in and I have used similar effects on acoustics and background vocals
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 18:31:30 (permalink)
"That's gotta be real fun trying to mimic that with a sidechained gate."

You would have to trigger it with a click but it can be done pretty easily... I remember when we had to stripe time code to track 24 on the tape reel... splice a tape in half find where you want it to go back together tape it and move on...  How I love computer technology!
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 19:33:27 (permalink)
The effect you are looking for is called vibrato, which is an amplitde modulator. MondoMod is a good and versatile one. Tremolo is not the same thing, it is frequency modulation

I'm late to the party, but you've got that backwards. Vibrato is frequency modulation; tremolo is amplitude modulation. The so-called "tremolo" bar on a guitar is misnamed. It should technically be called a vibrato bar. Maybe safer to stick with "whammy". 

+1 for Bitflipper's suggestion to use Sonitus Modulator in tremolo mode. Simple and effective.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 19:40:33 (permalink)
To make it more confusing... the faceplate of Fender amps mislabel their tremolo function as Vibrato.

:-)

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/27 19:48:37 (permalink)
That figures. A quick search suggests it was ol' Leo Fender, his self, that misnamed the tremolo bar.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-the-Tremolo-Arm-is-Misnamed&id=1308145
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/28 17:00:11 (permalink)
To the OP -
Hardware: AdrenaLinn 3 Guitar FX Box
Now available as a plug-in: AdrenaLinn Sync

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Blue Egg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/30 02:25:29 (permalink)
ba_midi

CJaysMusic

I think you may have misunderstood the question, CJ.  The OP seems to be looking for the pulsating effect such as would be done via side-chaining/ducking, etc.

Compression alone won't accomplish that really.

I don't want to be too harsh here but it's not a case of misunderstanding the question.  It's just that he only read the subject title and maybe not even that, and started typing away.  I'm not disputing that he cares about music and is a loyal Sonar supporter.  Just that he dispenses advice without taking some time to evaluate what the question is.

Maybe in the quest for a bazillion posts the true intent of the forum was lost. 

Maybe it's just an auto-poster algorithm that generates posts to all threads like a fortune cookie generator and only now do I see the humor/wisdom in it. 

Maybe in a holistic or zen way he's trying to make us all better musicians.  Does the world really need another vibrato/tremolo rhythmically gated guitar part from a Green Day song?  He didn't say a "compressor with a very fast attack and a very long release" would get the sound the OP sought but but only suggested to try it; perhaps as an alternative, perhaps that's the sound he recommends.

How to interpret CJaysMusic the Posting Machine: that is the question.  What does it mean?  Is the ultimate answer 42?
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Quick Question - How produce rhythmic, pulsating volume change effect? 2010/07/30 04:30:44 (permalink)
Not too harsh for your first post.

I can't imagine what you'll be like by the time you reach 50

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1