Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer?

Author
WT
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2010/07/15 01:59:58 (permalink)

Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer?

I am a longtime Cakewalk user and last year I built a dedicated XP SP3 pro audio computer, using quality components, the exact specifications of which will be described as they come up in this discussion. Early this year, I had just installed all my pro audio apps, primarily Sonar 7 Studio, Cubase LE, Finale 2008, and a whole assortment of other odds and ends. I had my computer plugged into a Furman power conditioner with my Presonus FirePod and controller keyboard (Kurzweil PC1se). We live in a rural area and occasionally the power to the house gets a bit dodgy, as it did one night shortly after I had everything up and running for the first time, and had yet to do a backup. Everything had been turned off before this happened.

In the morning, when I started the computer, there was a black screen with hard disk error message. I never could recover from that. This system has two hard drives, both Seagate, a 320 GB where XP was installed and a 500 GB for tracks and backup. I don't know what caused the problem.  No one else does either. I can run diagnostics on both drives now and neither one shows any errors. All my other equipment was fine.

That brings me to the first of my questions. For those of you that are recording in your house, in some non dedicated space such as a bedroom or a basement, what do you plug your computer into that would prevent the type of error that I got? Something with a battery backup? Is there a recommended model that I should consider? I never want to go through this again.

Secondly: since I have to re license everything when I install a new operating system anyway, it occurred to me that I might as well upgrade to Windows 7. I have an AMD 5200 dual core CPU, 2 GB, on a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard video. Is that a fast enough system  for Windows 7 using the pro audio applications I mentioned earlier? I don't use all sorts of plugins and most of what I do are basic demos.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I want to get this computer up and running again in the next few weeks. Thanks.

18 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 07:17:40 (permalink)
    First, as fast as you can get a UPS system (that has the power needed to power all of your equipment in case of power problems).  A "power conditioner" (depending on which model Furman you have it can be just a "surge protector") may help for some power line condition but a UPS goes a step further with the battery backup.  I have been in computer systems and network management up til I retired and short duration AC power dropouts are the prime cause of computer failures and hardware problems.  A UPS system will prevent these problems.   A power failure/surge/momentary dropout can cause many PC problems including corruption of hard drives to the point they must be completely rebuilt (reformatted and everything reinstalled). 

One other issue with a UPS system.  If your PC's power supply is one of the newer "Active PFC" type power supplies you MAY need a UPS that has a "pure sine wave" output when on battery or at least one with a very fast switching time.  Not all the Active PFC type supplies require this, but many do.  The Pure Sine Wave models are not the low end consumer models and considering you need enough power for your PC and the recording "rack" you will need a commercial/business UPS.

I don't know much about the AMD CPU's so I can't really comment on them.  However, on board Video can be an issue as it takes away from CPU resources and also uses more memory.  Although you have XP and probably a 32 bit version, I would upgrade to 4GB of RAM as some Sonar projects with a lot of tracks and MIDI tracks can use a lot of memory.  A 32 bit Operating System cannot fully address 4GB but you will still wind up with 3.2 to 3.5 GB of useable RAM (how much depends on the hardware and video).

If you are considering reinstalling an OS, if all the hardware and software are compatible Windows 7 is what I would recommend.  That was the general agreement when this question was recently asked on this forum.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    WT
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 15:27:45 (permalink)
    Hello, fireberd! Thank you for a prompt and most informative reply. I will address several of points you brought up, and I have several questions.

The Furman is, I believe, a real power conditioner, but the kind of weirdness we have in this area as far our power is concerned is more than a match for it. I was looking at various UPS models a week  or so ago and there are many to choose from. Of course, I may have to get a Pure Sine Wave model. More on that below.

The power supply is a Corsair VX450. I went to the Corsair web site and this is listed as one of the features: " 99% Active Power Factor Correction provides clean and reliable power to your system." Do you know if this particular PS requires a "pure sine wave" UPS? Whether it does or not, do you have an recommendations in terms of a particular model?

I know that the more memory I have, the better. The onboard video is set to 128, so it is not really an issue. I see you have a home built computer. What type of video card do you have that runs quietly enough and cool enough for pro audio applications?

What is your inclination as far as the 32 bit version vs the 64 bit version of Windows 7? I have 64 bit drivers for all my hardware and all the major software programs except for Finale 2008. That is not an issue because I need to upgrade that software anyway. I see that you use both Vista 32 and W7 64 on your computer. Do you have pro audio applications on both?

Thanks again for addressing my concerns. I look forward to your response.

fireberd
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 17:52:23 (permalink)
    The Furman may be a "power conditioner" but that can have many meanings and can also be a marketing name.  I have a $69 Furman Model M8 "power conditioner" in by equipment rack (and the Furman is connected to my system UPS so it's not directly on the AC power line) and it is only a better grade "surge protector".

The Coirsair VX450 is an Active PFC power supply.  SOME of these power supplies must have a UPS with a true sine wave output (on battery) and SOME will work on the less expensive modified sine wave types as long as the switching time is less than 4 ms.  Cyberpower UPS makes two true sine wave models but I'm not sure of the power handling capability.  It depends on your entire system that you want UPS protected (the PC and whatever else - I have my small recording rack on the UPS along with the PC as I don't want a momentary power dropout to ruin a recording session).  I have an Active PFC XFX 750 watt power supply but it is one that will work on a regular UPS that has the fast switching.  I have a 1000 watt commercial model APC UPS.   APC has a couple of true sine wave UPS' but they are "commercial" models and in the $500 and up price range.

I have an ATI Radeon HD4850 video card with 1GB memory.  Along with Sonar I also use the PC for other things and I needed a new Video card and this particular card was "on sale".  There was no other compelling reason I got it.  But, it does work well and even has an HDMI output if I wanted to connect to an HD TV.  I don't have any fan noise to speak of.  I've recorded with the singer 3 ft from the PC tower and there was no fan noise.

I have both 32 bit Vista and 64 bit Win 7 and that was done initially as I wasn't sure if Sonar was going to work OK on Win 7.  But, as it turned out I've never needed to fall back to the Vista 32 bit system for any reason for Sonar.  The Vista 32 bit is basically history.  When Win 7 came out several on here commented they were doing the same thing, having both, but they also reported they didn't need to fall back to the 32 systems.

There was a recent thread about Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit and the overwhelming majority said 64 bit, as long as you have hardware that will support it.  64 bit OS' are becoming the standard and most new PC's are coming with Win 7 64 bit. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 18:36:57 (permalink)
    One reason why I like Laptops is because they are inherently powerfailure protected (with the battery).

My music laptop, though, is always running on AC, and it is pretty much "desktop like" installed, I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so typically of all its hardware I basically only touch the on-off switch.

I do have a 1-KVA pure sinewave UPS, but I don't use it for years. To those "transfer time" does not apply, since the equipment is always connected to the synthesised output. ..They are rathe expenssive, though.
    fireberd
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 21:23:23 (permalink)
    Those are the commercial type UPS systems.  I had that in my computer room but it was much bigger - 300KVA at 480 Volts AC (grin).

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 21:41:53 (permalink)
    300kva= 300,000 va... quite a large backup supply. (big grin and big bucks)

OK on to other stuff..... I have all my equipment running on a Ditek  surge suppressor 450va battery back up. As  matter of fact, I have a number of UPS's in the house running my studio, the business computer, and the network gear.

I have been working on the biz desktop when the lights have blinked a few times and them gone out due to storms. The computer never blinks..... and I have enough time to finish my task, and shut it down properly.

A lappy is protected by it's very nature from the AC line blinks..... I would still run it on a surge protector. Surges are coming down the lines all the time from all sorts of things..... there does not need to be a storm in the area.

Always use surge and battery back up UPS protection.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    reader1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 605
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 22:53:41 (permalink)
    fireberd

Those are the commercial type UPS systems.  I had that in my computer room but it was much bigger - 300KVA at 480 Volts AC (grin).

are you sure? 300kva/480v? really big. how long it will last after start?
    whre do you use 480v? for factory?
    reader1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 605
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 23:02:15 (permalink)
    NoKey

One reason why I like Laptops is because they are inherently powerfailure protected (with the battery).

My music laptop, though, is always running on AC, and it is pretty much "desktop like" installed, I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so typically of all its hardware I basically only touch the on-off switch.

I do have a 1-KVA pure sinewave UPS, but I don't use it for years. To those "transfer time" does not apply, since the equipment is always connected to the synthesised output. ..They are rathe expenssive, though.

you may select another ups which work all the way even power on. it quite like you laptop works.
    no transfer time. it can supply 5--10minutes or 30minutes power when power off.
    NoKey
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/15 23:31:53 (permalink)
    reader1

NoKey

you may select another ups which work all the way even power on. it quite like you laptop works.
    no transfer time. it can supply 5--10minutes or 30minutes power when power off.
    Hi Reader1,

The laptop can run about 1 hour on battery, depending on what's their use, maybe more, and also depending on the life of the battery.

The pure sine-wave UPS are meant for critical equipment, the bigger ones for bigger computers, of course, and in critical installations, like computer rooms or hospitals, then an emergency generator takes over.

For most home applications, though UPS are meant to cover for a short duration of power failure, often only seconds or minutes, and also meant to allow time for turning off the computer, in case the power does not come on rather immediately.

I think the way a laptop power supply is built now days, it has quite a bit of built-in surge protection also.

I don't recall reading or hearing of laptops failing due to lightning..If it happens, it is rare, seems to me.

480 volts AC is available in some commercial buildings, and for sure in industrial facilities that run large loads, and that is in three-phase power systems.

There were some "always on" UPS for office or home use, also, that had square wave output, good enough for the pc's of the time, but also meant basically to shut down the pcs, not meant to run the pc's.

So, laptops as we know them, still have the edge in that sense. Do notice that when ac power fails, laptop screens go dim, and its volume goes down, if using is soundcard.

For home-studio, though, I'd say that all UPS is still to be considered to allow time to shut down the pc or laptop, and avoid data loss, or even worse, disk corruption.

post edited by NoKey - 2010/07/15 23:36:23
    WT
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 01:23:52 (permalink)
    Hello, fireberd!

Thanks, once again, for a most helpful response, and I am addressing several of the points you made.

I believe the Furman that I have is the same as yours.

I have a message in to Tech Support at Corsair to ask for some clarification on what UPS would be appropriate for my VX450 power supply. I was looking at the CyberPower UP625 625VA, since it features a simulated sine wave under output voltage. I am hopeful that something like that will be appropriate and I should know more tomorrow.

What brand of video card did you buy? I was looking earlier today and there are many brands that use that ATI chipset. Not all of them are equally reputable.

I haven't spent much time in this particular Cakewalk forum (my post got moved here from elsewhere) but I plan to spend some time here tomorrow. I will make a point of reading the thread you mentioned about the merits of Windows 64 over the 32 bit version.

I greatly appreciate your assistance, and thanks also to the several other people who have joined the thread in the last day or so.
    fireberd
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 07:13:17 (permalink)
    The Video Card that I have is a "Sapphire" model. 

In ref to my comment about the large UPS.  It was for a federal goverment computer room, not something for my PC.   The UPS was located in the sub basement level of the building and my computer room was on the 10th floor, thus the use of 480 volts.  I had a "power room" that had transformers that converted the 480 volts into 240 vac 3 phase for my IBM comm processors and 120vac single phase for the equipment that used that.   This was the type that had a rectifier that converted the incoming AC line to DC.  The DC fed an inverter that converted it back to AC and also charged the sixty 2 Volt C&D wet cell batteries.  With this configuration whatever happened on the commercial AC power line was not seen in my computer room - and if the AC power was lost even for a milisecond the DC batteries would take over and provide the DC power for the inverter.  I had about 30 minutes of operation time on batteries with this system - basically time to do an orderly shut down of the systems if needed.  However, there were only a few times we had power failures or failures that lasted over 5 or 10 minutes, 99% were the momentary droputs. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    WT
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 15:35:14 (permalink)
    Hey, Fireberd!

I got a message from one of the staff people that monitor the Corsair forum for power supplies. I had given him my specific model number, and I also asked him about its compatibility with Windows 7. Here is what he said, pasted in from the forum: "Should be no problems using the PSU with any UPS backup. Some users have mentioned that when they are running off of battery power with a simulated sine wave back up they can get a slight buzz or humm from the PSU, but this would not indicate anything is wrong. Also, there should be no PSU related problems by upgrading to Windows 7."

So...I need to avoid a similulated sine wave model, and I don't need a true sign wave model either. That is a relief. That means just about anything else will work. You are using an APC. Then there is Cyberpower, Tripp-Lite, Opti-UPS and a handful of others. Are there any particular brands or models I should avoid? I want to keep it under $100. I need to narrow it down somehow but I don't want to compromise on the protection that I need.

I am going to check out the Sapphire video cards later today. Thanks again for your considerable assistance.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 16:19:52 (permalink)

Yes...

BTW, If you get hit by a close lightning strike, it can go up the ground wire.
    The only 100% sure protection against this is to unplug your gear.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    NoKey
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 18:30:26 (permalink)
    fireberd

The Video Card that I have is a "Sapphire" model. 

In ref to my comment about the large UPS.  It was for a federal goverment computer room, not something for my PC.   The UPS was located in the sub basement level of the building and my computer room was on the 10th floor, thus the use of 480 volts.  I had a "power room" that had transformers that converted the 480 volts into 240 vac 3 phase for my IBM comm processors and 120vac single phase for the equipment that used that.   This was the type that had a rectifier that converted the incoming AC line to DC.  The DC fed an inverter that converted it back to AC and also charged the sixty 2 Volt C&D wet cell batteries.  With this configuration whatever happened on the commercial AC power line was not seen in my computer room - and if the AC power was lost even for a milisecond the DC batteries would take over and provide the DC power for the inverter.  I had about 30 minutes of operation time on batteries with this system - basically time to do an orderly shut down of the systems if needed.  However, there were only a few times we had power failures or failures that lasted over 5 or 10 minutes, 99% were the momentary droputs. 

Well said..

Most UPS are meant for orderly shutdown, except for real critical facilities where the UPS gives support time for emergecny generators to kick in.

For our offices and home use, orderly shut-down is the purpose of them.

For our home studios, the same applies, I'd say. Close your applications, and then shut the laptop or pc off..

Another reason to do that is that when utility power comes back, all lights and motors, ac units, refrigerators, etc,,  in the house and in the vecinity go ON at once, and surges and power fluctuations can have some side effects.
    NoKey
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 18:57:37 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Yes...

BTW, If you get hit by a close lightning strike, it can go up the ground wire.
    The only 100% sure protection against this is to unplug your gear.

No, not really.

When the utility service is properly grounded and so is the premise and its receptacles, lightning can not travel through the ground wire. It can travel via the hot wire or wires, though. So if the equipment has an ON/OFF switch, turning it OFF is sufficient.

It's OK to disconnect the equipment if so wanted, though...But a more convenient way is to use an outlet strip with a switch and turn its switch ON/OFF for use....By the way, though, that switch does not, and should not disconnect the ground when it is OFF.

One thing is to have equipment that does not use a ground plug, and another is to have a service that does not have a proper ground.

Sometimes we may have to cut a grounding prong to avoid an audio ground loop, or use an adapter; or some audio components have a ground-lift switch,  but that does not mean that the service or receptacles are not to be properly grounded.

fireberd
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/16 19:43:42 (permalink)
    Great that they say it will work with a "regular" UPS system.  You have to evaluate what amout of total power you will be using with a UPS system and then select the system that will handle the power, not select a dollar amount as the factor for buying a UPS system. 

e.g. If all the equipment you want to protect and power from the UPS is 600 watts then you need at least an 800 watt UPS.  If what you want to protect and power is about 800 watts then you need a 1000 watt unit.  APC is a major player in the home/office UPS systems.  Cyberpower has been coming along.  I personally do not recomment Belkin to my clients, either APC or Cyberpower.  Keep in mind with UPS systems that it is the same as most electronics "you get what you pay for" - if you buy the "inexpensive" model you get the "inexpensive" model with potentially questionable reliability.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    WT
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/17 16:38:19 (permalink)
    Hello again, fireberd. I greatly appreciate your input.

I read your last cautionary post and it occurred to me: I have no idea how do I determine what the wattage is on what I want to protect. If I have a computer (AMD 5200 dual core CPU) with 2 GB memory,  onboard video, two hard drives and two DVD drives with a 19" LCD monitor connected to a firewire audio interface, two studio monitors and a controller keyboard (Kurzweil PC1se), what type of power requirements am I talking about here? I would be using the Furman we discussed earlier and I also have a 4 channel microphone distribution amplifier (Presonus HP4). How would it change if I add a second monitor and more memory? How does a CRT monitor compare with an LCD monitor? If there is a website that has this information, point me toward it. It occurs to me that I am an absolute novice in this area.

BTW, I never buy the most inexpensive model when I am purchasing pro audio related equipment.

Thanks for any information you, or anyone else who is contributing to this thread, can provide.
    post edited by WT - 2010/07/17 17:03:50
    fireberd
    Re:Slightly OT - how do you protect your audio computer? 2010/07/17 18:43:01 (permalink)
    Most equipment will have a power requirement spec, either the current (amps) or watts.  Roughly adding these all together will give you an approximate "guesstimate" of power.  You are using a 450 watt power supply and although you are probably not using the full 450 watt capability I would assume that for the PC. 

My Presonus BlueTube dual preamp's spec is 16 watts.

A device that lists current only, you can determine the watts (power) by the forumula P=IXE (Power equals current times voltage).

You need some for "reserve", so if everything comes in for example at approx 800 watts, go for a 1000 watt UPS. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1