MAudio Support is a total waste

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2010/07/15 09:42:54 (permalink)

MAudio Support is a total waste

I recently bought a new MAudio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface unit.  It works great and Sonar automatically detected it and set it as the default audio device. 

I had a question on routing in the supplied Control Panel (MAudio's documentation is useless) and filled out a tech support request.  Required in the support request is the CPU type, Memory, Operating System, DAW and the firmware of the device and their Control Panel software version.  In the description of the problem I mentioned I was using an SM58 mic for testing.   The response from their support wanted to know "what brand is the SM58", and asked for the technical and software items that were provided (and mandatory) when I made the request.  I got PO'd and responded that the response was totally irrevelant and something a DumbA$$ would ask.  I closed the support incident as obviously I wasn't going to get any intelligent answers.  Because of the response on my support request I'me even considering returning the MAudio device - if I really got into a bind it would appear their support is useless.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

5 Replies Related Threads

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:MAudio Support is a total waste 2010/07/15 10:19:16 (permalink)
    I've posted a few times on their support forum and found it to be helpful. Before you send back the unit, maybe try there.

I'd guess that all their support requests get routed through an outsourced center that just walks through a checklist of troubleshooting. You included something not on their checklist (SM58) so they didn't know what to do. Try their forum, or even the Gear forum here.
    fireberd
    Re:MAudio Support is a total waste 2010/07/15 12:41:50 (permalink)
    I talked to the support people at Sweetwater Music (where I bought it) and they gave me some info and knew what an "SM58" is.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:MAudio Support is a total waste 2010/07/15 17:12:44 (permalink)
    fireberd

I recently bought a new MAudio Fast Track Ultra 8R interface unit.  It works great and Sonar automatically detected it and set it as the default audio device. 

I had a question on routing in the supplied Control Panel (MAudio's documentation is useless) and filled out a tech support request.  Required in the support request is the CPU type, Memory, Operating System, DAW and the firmware of the device and their Control Panel software version.  In the description of the problem I mentioned I was using an SM58 mic for testing.   The response from their support wanted to know "what brand is the SM58", and asked for the technical and software items that were provided (and mandatory) when I made the request.  I got PO'd and responded that the response was totally irrevelant and something a DumbA$$ would ask.  I closed the support incident as obviously I wasn't going to get any intelligent answers.  Because of the response on my support request I'me even considering returning the MAudio device - if I really got into a bind it would appear their support is useless.

Oh man do I sympathize with you here.  We are quite similar in our response to such nonsense as I did the same exact thing, except it was Creative Labs I was dealing with at the time (Sound blaster was all I could afford...)

And I understand the patient response above to explain it - but it's really not about trying to figure out why the replies are so stupid, it's that we deserve better.  It's already such a waste of time to send emails, complete with detailed information and then wonder when you might get a response - only to receive some dumb follow up question two days later that clearly demonstrates this is a flow chart system somewhere in India and it's going to be a month before they even get your report right, much less fix anything.  My god, it's enough to make me want to blow up buildings and stuff.

And how about calling IVR's that have you spend time entering your account number, social security number, and special PIN - only to have the customer service rep ask for your name, account number and special PIN.  WTF?  Why did I waste my time pushing buttons if it's not doing anything for anybody? 

That's customer service in the modern world.  How pathetic.  And it's only going to get worse. 
    fireberd
    Re:MAudio Support is a total waste 2010/07/15 17:23:16 (permalink)
    Up until I retired, I managed a Federal Government LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk (I was the Regional Network Manager in Kansas City, MO).  If one of my Help Desk tech's would have made a response such as that they would have been gone or I would have been gone for allowing it.

I have one strike against me when I contact vendor support (and I try to avoid contacting vendor support), having been in the support business I expect some intelligence when dealing with support, but sadly there is very little.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:MAudio Support is a total waste 2010/07/15 18:46:07 (permalink)
    The M-Audio users forum is outstanding in that they have a full time M-Audio, very knowledgeable person all the time responding to technical questions.

That person also via private e-mails helps people return equipment for replacement or correction.

I would try that forum,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1