Studio Monitors

Author
Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
2010/07/15 20:25:31 (permalink)

Studio Monitors

Am thinking and have been thinking about getting some decent studio monitors. I currently have Studiophile dx4's , what I basically call glorified computer speakers. I have read the bigger the woofer the better. I have read pro's and con's of having a sub woofer. Now I am not looking to buy very expensive ones, but maybe a pair for around 400 or 500. If they are decent ones. Not sure about a sub woofer, what do you guys use and reccomend for something that gives a true sound?  I see cakewalk has a set of monitors, anyone use and like them?

15 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/15 20:34:43 (permalink)
    A sub will get in the way of you mixing a good rounded song with tight bass/low end.
    A sub is good, if you use it to check your mixes, but not to mix your mixes (Just like headphones)

6" or 8" Studio monitors will be enough. 

Save another $100 and get these Tannoy's. There 6.5" and for the price, there AWESOME!!!!!

I have a new Alesis Resolve Sub in my closet with remote CTL, if your interested let me know. It has less than 2 hours on it
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/07/15 20:44:22

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/15 20:35:27 (permalink)
    Hiya Guitarman
    I've been using my Yamaha MSP5's for around 7years now and they're great.
    Yamaha have the MSP10 Studio monitors too which are also very good.

Go to your local store with a bunch of tracks that you like and try some out
    is probably the best advice.  It's really the only way to go, everyone has
    different prefrences.

Using a sub is fine but really your room needs to be balanced otherwise
    it can seriously screw up your mixes.

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    Guitarman1
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/15 20:59:05 (permalink)
    hey cj, are you talking about these?

Tannoy Reveal 601p

I was steering away from subwoofers, as I heard they mess with the mix, but wanted to get some opinions on it to make sure.

Chilldanny, thanx for the advice, but I am thinking the sound card in the computer at the store is a mega one, I would not get a true picture of what they would sound like with my sound card.. but that is sound advice for most items. appreciate the feedback on your monitors.

chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/15 21:02:24 (permalink)
    No worries =)

By the way, in most stores the monitors will be connected to a mixer of
    some kind rather than a computer.
    You should be able to take an iPod or whatever and jack straight in.

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/15 21:56:19 (permalink)

hey cj, are you talking about these?

Tannoy Reveal 601p

Yea!!!! Im sorry, I thought I put a link to them.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 00:30:24 (permalink)
    These look nice.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 01:09:21 (permalink)
    Are those made by Faberge?

Audio Blog
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 05:45:24 (permalink)
    Forget about a sub. Unless your room is treated and you know how to set up the sub properly, or have someone who does do it for you, it's going to be trouble.

In your price range I would say Tannoy.
    If you look used, you might find a pair of Event ASP8 or ASP6 for sale and they are absolutely killer monitors for the price.
    Don't be fooled, they are nothing like the 20/20 or TRS series.

Another alternative is if you have a small room, I would save up a little more and get one of the smaller Focal monitors.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 12:52:18 (permalink)
    chilldanny

Hiya Guitarman
    I've been using my Yamaha MSP5's for around 7years now and they're great.
    Yamaha have the MSP10 Studio monitors too which are also very good.

Go to your local store with a bunch of tracks that you like and try some out
    is probably the best advice.  It's really the only way to go, everyone has
    different prefrences.

Using a sub is fine but really your room needs to be balanced otherwise
    it can seriously screw up your mixes.

This above is the best advice around for speakers. You really need to hear them to make any decision on which to get. It wont matter what the source is just as long as that all the choices are using the same source.

Best
    John
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 17:59:33 (permalink)
    They're either Faberge or Haus of GaGa

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 18:09:25 (permalink)
    "True sound" - hmmm.... how would I know it if I heard it?

But seriously... I think there are some good suggestions already.  I played around with Subs a few years ago and that was a disasterous waste of valuable time.
    I find that matching the speakers to the room (and whatever time & money you want to put into room treatments) is the key.
    Many people go for the 8inch cones but I find that wastes lots of my $$ in treating the room since standing waves emerge so much faster with the bigger speakers.  On the flip side, 4 & 5 inch cones are trickier to figure out the proper amount of bass (since they dropoff the low end).
    In the end, I picked up KRK 6" on a huge sale (~$350/pr) and I've been very happy with them.  They replaced a very old pair of Alesis Reference One Monitors which I loved as well.

PS - get a store that will let you take them home and listen to them for a few days to see how they fit your producing style.

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 18:48:36 (permalink)
    nprime

These look nice.

They are Harmon Kardon GLA-55.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Guitarman1
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/16 18:50:02 (permalink)
    those actually scare me... lol
    mcdonalk
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/17 12:45:17 (permalink)
    Someday, I'll have to retire my electrostatic home audio speakers which I currently use for monitors, as their performance deteriorates and parts are no longer available. Then I will have to deal with the issue that studio monitors are not independently tested at all, and the specification and performance claimed by the manufacturer are not verified. (Unlike home audio speakers, which are generally subjected to 3rd-party published evaluation.)

Professional audio publications never measure performance; they just listen state whether the reviewer thought that they sounded "good" or "bad."

In auditioning a monitor, will I be able to tell, or example, whether that robust bass response is smoothe down to 30Hz, or is it actually a deceptive resonant bump at 40Hz? I like to think that I can tell, but I don't know.

Also, lack of 3rd-party verification makes buying monitors over the internet a total gamble.

Keith
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Studio Monitors 2010/07/20 13:27:26 (permalink)
    quick observation...

once upon a time we mixed to a target audience that had sound reproduction systems that handled a wide dynamic range and a broad frequency spectrum. At that time main studio monitors typically went down to 40 Hz, some all the way down to 20 Hz. Of course the big dogs back then also used compression drivers and horns<G>...

I suspect that these days that would be, well, counter productive. People just don't sit in their listening rooms and focus on the music any more. I'm not even going to try to guess if that's good or bad, but I acknowledge that it is real.

As such, you need to pay attention to how your mix will translate to such systems, and if you use a monitor system that goes down the the lowest couple of octaves it will probably sound a little anemic on more moderate systems. It always did, of course, but that was ok.

There are hundreds of tricks to make something sound like it has more energy in the extreme edges of the spectrum, we used to use these tricks to prepare music that had to go out over telephone lines, or even FM transmitters. No harm is thinking about personal MP3 players in the same light!

So, a two-way cabinet with a 6.5" or maybe 8" driver will usually be a good yardstick. As for specific recommendations, well, everyone has their favorite monitors, and you will not find a lot of agreement<G>! I use Yorkville YSMs, mostly because they have a similar vibe to my mains (Urei 809s), and my home Hi-Fi (Polk Model 10s). No, the Polk 10s don't sound exactly like the 809s, though they are remarkably close to the YSMs. But if I mix on the YSMs (and check on the 809s, or vica-versa) the mix usually sounds pretty good on the Polks.

The biggest factor will be how the monitors interact with your room, so try to find a shop that'll let you audition them in your place!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1