how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5?

Author
PatrickB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/07/16 18:32:58 (permalink)

how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5?

Hello,
Does anyone know how to send program/patch/snapshot changes to reaktor5. There is no information about the patches displayed in the track view of Sonar. It just says "<empty>" and when I click on the drop down menu, it says "<empty>"128 times.
I have tried all kinds of combinations in Reaktor with regard to "Recall by midi" and "Snapshot master for plugin", midi in etc.
I can change the Reaktor preset manually from Sonar if I click one of the 128 entries of "<empty>". However, when I insert program changes into a midi sequence it doesn't change Reaktor's preset.
The NI manuals are painfully difficult to read and they don't seem to have much information about basic things like this.
Any help would be good.
Thanks

6 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/16 18:37:33 (permalink)
    PatrickB

Hello,
    Does anyone know how to send program/patch/snapshot changes to reaktor5. There is no information about the patches displayed in the track view of Sonar. It just says "<empty>" and when I click on the drop down menu, it says "<empty>"128 times.
    I have tried all kinds of combinations in Reaktor with regard to "Recall by midi" and "Snapshot master for plugin", midi in etc.
    I can change the Reaktor preset manually from Sonar if I click one of the 128 entries of "<empty>". However, when I insert program changes into a midi sequence it doesn't change Reaktor's preset.
    The NI manuals are painfully difficult to read and they don't seem to have much information about basic things like this.
    Any help would be good.
    Thanks
    The manuals for Reaktor are definitely tough.   However, as is the case for most synths that accept program changes, one way you can do it is to simply input a program change in the event list.  

You open the event list and insert the program change at the time you specify with the value you specify.
    *You may have to choose an explicit MIDI channel* -- so check that carefully.

That *should* work.  I'm not sure if I've tried it with Reaktor, but I can't see why it won't work, since you say you can click on one of the patches in the track list; those are simply program changes usually.

Not all VSTi's communicate their patch list to Sonar or any other DAW, which is why you would simply see #s.

But, regardless, it should work.  Give it a shot.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    PatrickB
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/21 08:05:01 (permalink)
    ba_midi

PatrickB

The manuals for Reaktor are definitely tough.   However, as is the case for most synths that accept program changes, one way you can do it is to simply input a program change in the event list.  

You open the event list and insert the program change at the time you specify with the value you specify.
    *You may have to choose an explicit MIDI channel* -- so check that carefully.

That *should* work.  I'm not sure if I've tried it with Reaktor, but I can't see why it won't work, since you say you can click on one of the patches in the track list; those are simply program changes usually.

Not all VSTi's communicate their patch list to Sonar or any other DAW, which is why you would simply see #s.

But, regardless, it should work.  Give it a shot.

You open the event list and insert the program change at the time you specify with the value you specify. *You may have to choose an explicit MIDI channel* -- so check that carefully.

Thanks for you reply ba-midi.
    I've tried this already. The strange thing is that, when I entering patch change information (using any method),  I am not seeing #s or a patch list. I am simply seeing <empty> listed many times, with no #s.
    Thanks
    Patrick B

ba_midi
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/21 09:26:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for you reply ba-midi. I've tried this already. The strange thing is that, when I entering patch change information (using any method), I am not seeing #s or a patch list. I am simply seeing listed many times, with no #s. Thanks Patrick B

Patrick,

You may have to 'enable' / 'toggle' something in Reaktor for it to receive MIDI PGM CHNGS from outside (ie, Sonar).
    I won't be able to get to my DAW until tonight to check.

Also did you make sure you used an "explicit" MIDI Channel (usually '1') for sending the pgm change?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

PatrickB
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/21 10:53:12 (permalink)
    Hi Billy
    I made sure I was using an explicit midi channel.
    I think you're right about needing to "'enable' / 'toggle' something in Reaktor for it to receive MIDI PGM CHNGS". I just can't find it.

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/21 11:11:22 (permalink)
    ba_midi
    Re:how do you configure sonar6 to send program changes to reaktor 5? 2010/07/21 14:32:05 (permalink)
    ew

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115265

ew

The only problem there, Erik, is that most of the time users aren't going to be 'showing the dropdown' if they are playing back tracks and, for example, tweaking some other plugin.

But I coulda sworn I used program changes for Reaktor.  I'm gonna go look at some of my projects to double check later.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1