Korg Nanopad midi and driver problem

Author
ukmoonlitknight
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/07/17 07:04:04 (permalink)

Korg Nanopad midi and driver problem

Seems I should have looked at the boards before buying! I have posted this at KVR too in the vain hope that someone, somewhere, can help.
There seem to be countless 'similar' problems... but none the same.

I cannot get my Nanopad to work in Sonar2 (yes that's 2 as in veeeeery old! - btw is it so old there is no specific forum now?)
I'm running XP sp3 with a host of peripherals including an Edirol UA101 for sound and lots of software (vst and dxi) with no other problems but... here's the thing...

I attach the nanoPAD, I load the standard drivers, set the midi in and out in Sonar - using Options/Midi Devices ("USB audio device" for both - generic driver) and the pad plays a vst or dxi fine in Sonar.
The midi sits happily under the existing Edirol, I can play the pads through a vst or dxi in a track and sound comes out of the speakers... no problem.

But...to use the Korg editor and change the pad configuration, you need to load the Korg Driver.

If I load the Korg driver... either by using the software, or manually, as soon as I try and add the midi in or out in Sonar - using Options/Midi Devices (in/out options now called "nanopad1 PAD" and "nanoPAD1 CTRL") then Sonar locks up.

If I reload the standard driver, we're back to being able to play the vst and dxi! (But can't change the configuration of the Nanopad)

Either the standard or Korg drivers overwrites the former, so I cannot load both and 'switch' between them.
Besides which... I shouldn't have to.

I've tried every trick I can find. I've spent over 12 hours solid now, looking on the net and trying everything I can find or think of.
Using the M-audio USB fix, changing the order of installations, removing the Edirol midi and adding the Korg first in Sonar. Moving the usb connections so that they are physically front and back of the machine. Rerunning M-audio USB fix. I've even stripped the setup back to PC, UA101 and nothing else apart from the nanoPAD... All to no avail.

Can someone please help... otherwise I will be forced to smash the stupid thing into tiny pieces and send it back to Korg.

Yes, all the drivers are up to date, Yes, I've tried older versions of the Korg Drivers too, Yes, all the windows stuff is up to date, No, there are no 'ghost' devices or conflicts shown in Windows/Device Manager, No - nothing else creates problems and Yes... I am driving myself insane!

Of course... it's probably me being dim somewhere here!

Thanks

Steve

1 Reply Related Threads

iinfotech01
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Korg Nanopad midi and driver problem 2010/07/23 02:53:02 (permalink)
    Alright, here is how to check the driver in Windows XP.

-hold down the windows key on your keyboard, then press Pause/Break. This will open up your system properties.
    -Click the hardware tab
    -Click Device Manage
    -Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers (click the + sign next to the text.)

There should be a device with Korg NanoPAD in the title... I'm not at my home computer to tell you the exact name. If it is there, that means the NanoPAD is detected and the driver is working, and your problem is probably with Serato.

If not, it will probably say something like Generic USB Music controller or something of the like. If that is the case, right click it and select properties.In the properties window:
    - Click the Driver tab.
    - Click the update driver button.
    - Select "no, not this time" and click next
    - Select "Install from a list or specific location (advanced)" and click next.
    - Uncheck “Search removable media”
    - Check “Include this location in the search:”
    - Browse for the folder where you installed the Korg driver (something like C:\Program Files\Korg), select it, and click OK.
    - Returning to the Hardware Update Wizard, select “Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install.”
    - Click Next.

At this point windows should find the Korg driver. Like I said, I’m not at my home computer right now, but the rest should be easy to figure out. Select the driver, click install/next/ok or whatever is there. It should now show up in your device manager.

Try to remember this process, I use 3 different Nano controllers, and my computer likes to randomly forget which driver to use now and then when I unplug and replug.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1