2010/07/17 17:23:23 (permalink)

Monitoring advice needed

I'm going to be recording a 5 piece band,

Vocalist
E. guitar,
bass,
keyboard
drums

I would be using my Tascam US 2000 to track them live in a rehearsal space. Basically I'm wondering about monitoring them... the US 2000 has hardware monitoring, I suppose I could just get a headphone amp and a few sets of headphones? But then they would be monitoring at the levels of gain that I'm tracking at... I've looked at monitoring solutions where each person has their own mixer to create their own mixes and that's getting up there in the $1000's of dollars... I couldn't really justify that yet... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Monitoring advice needed 2010/07/17 17:58:47 (permalink)
    Does the V-Studio come with a software monitoring matrix like RME, Lynx, MOTU etc?

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re:Monitoring advice needed 2010/07/17 20:30:58 (permalink)
    windsurfer25x

I'm going to be recording a 5 piece band,

Vocalist
    E. guitar,
    bass,
    keyboard
    drums

I would be using my Tascam US 2000 to track them live in a rehearsal space. Basically I'm wondering about monitoring them... the US 2000 has hardware monitoring, I suppose I could just get a headphone amp and a few sets of headphones? But then they would be monitoring at the levels of gain that I'm tracking at... I've looked at monitoring solutions where each person has their own mixer to create their own mixes and that's getting up there in the $1000's of dollars... I couldn't really justify that yet... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-HeadAmp-6-PRO-Headphone-Amp-with-6-Free-Headphones?sku=485792

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Monitoring advice needed 2010/07/17 20:47:48 (permalink)
    I wonder, and I mean this respectfully, if you understand what feature I am speaking of?

With monitor matrixes built in to the items I mentioned above you can route any combination of inputs to many combinations of outputs. The control is done via software and it controls a DSP within the hardware.

So you can use that feature to give "more me" to various players.

I use a simple Mackie headphone mixer to augment this and so can power 7 headphones with a lot of flexibility with regards to making a custom mix for each headphone.

Does the Tascam have any software like that?

The systems you mention are cool and expensive... and they also rely on the artist grasping the idea of mixing... they may or may not appreciate the freedom to mix it themselves... some may actually think it's nuisance to do it themselves. Some may love the idea but do such a bad job that it effects their performance negatively.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Monitoring advice needed 2010/07/18 08:42:04 (permalink)
    To give everyone their own mix.... is expensive. And for a band that is recording in their rehearsal space..... prohibitively so.

The church I attend has a very sweet, but very high dollar monitoring system. Its an Aviom monitoring system. Networked controllers on a cat5 loop.....each person can mix exactly what they want to hear...... not easily moved around, as in portable from site to site easily.

Several decades back, a band asked me to record a demo for them to send to clubs with their promo package.  I went to their reheasal house with my Teac 4 track reel to reel. I took the output off their mixerboard and used headphones so I could hear the mix, since I was in the other room. Basically all I did was what their sound man probably did at the clubs.... but I was mixing for tape.... not a room.

The demo actually turned out pretty good. I copied it to cassette for them and they used it to get more work.

I think they were expecting me to do mutlitrack stuff, but under the circumstances, that was not feasible. I simply told them to play their songs..start to finish and let me record it. A few times through on each song and we had some workable stuff. Nothing you would want to press to a CD, but it was perfect for what they needed at the time.

If you are recording a record for them.... then that would be a different story. However....As I read the OP, that does not appear to be the case. Knowing you do multitrack stuff at home, they might expect you to come in with a full rig and spend hours punching in fixes..... my guess is this is not a highly paid job, so unless you really just want to spend hours and days on this for free or cheap.... tell them upfront to rehearse and have their songs nailed before you go in to record..... then mic them up .....YOU put on the cans.... and after a sound check and notes on who gets the guitar solo and where.... tell them to go for it.  Just don't forget to hit record.

If you remember back in the 50's..... the early studios..... that's how they did it.  Everybody in one room, mics on the gear, guy in the other room is the only one hearing what is going to tape.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/18 08:45:01

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Monitoring advice needed 2010/07/26 21:32:18 (permalink)
    There are individual monitoring mixers from $60 or so each. One for each musician, and you send there the monitoring mix and the musician's instrument separately, and he mixes it to taste. The musician does not need to change all the mix, nor is it practical, he just needs to adjust his intrument with respect to the rest.
    The same thing can be done in the cue mixer, but the specific way depends on what you are using. Anyway, don't try an independent mix for each musician, just send them the main mix and then add to each send some of his own instrument. As said in other answers, it can be very easily done with a matrix mixer if your console has it, but also with the cue mixer of most modern multi i/o interfaces.

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1