StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency...

Author
skitracks
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/07/17 18:02:16 (permalink)

StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency...

I haven't seen a lot of discussion here on this unit. Anyone have some hard numbers on this interface and RT latency on XP 32 of Win 7 x64?

Thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/17 20:04:03 (permalink)
    10 to 12 ms on my elderly two core system here at home.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    skitracks
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/17 20:58:45 (permalink)
    Hi AT...again....

Thanks for replying to my questions.  You had me researching the StudioKonnect48 after our last discussion. 

I want to build a DAW, but before I do, I wanted to pick the interface I will be using.  Nothing has been as daunting in my quest to  build a project studio as the choice of interface.  Wow! My head is spinning!

If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on your computer? This interface might make my short list if I could determine the potential to tweak out an ultra low RTL with a budget of $800 to build my computer. 

Anyone have any input?

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/17 22:15:12 (permalink)
    This interface might make my short list if I could determine the potential to tweak out an ultra low RTL

Other than the ability to sustain heavy loads at a given TRL (total round-trip latency), having a faster machine won't allow you to achieve lower RTL than what the audio interface allows (buffer sizes).

DICE-II typically is not the absolute best performer when it comes to TRL.
    Thus, if having the lowest possible TRL is important to you, I'd look for a unit that's not using DICE-II.
    The RME units (including the Fireface 400/800/UC) and the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R will all deliver lower TRL.
    The RME units will go down to a 48-sample ASIO buffer size... and with a well configured i7 based DAW, you can sustain pretty substantial loads at that setting.  That puts TRL at ~4ms (48-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k).
    The FastTrack Ultra 8R will yield 5.5ms TRL at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size/44.1k.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    skitracks
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/18 10:44:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, Jim.

So, if I'm looking at the Focusrite and TC Konnekt products, I shouldn't expect any recent improvements in the RTL performance? 

Is the DICE-II issue more specifically a hardware limitation or is this more a lack of emphasis on RTL in driver support?

I wish I could afford the RME stuff. Have you been able to get your hands on the new RME babyface yet?
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/18 11:34:11 (permalink)
    So, if I'm looking at the Focusrite and TC Konnekt products, I shouldn't expect any recent improvements in the RTL performance? Is the DICE-II issue more specifically a hardware limitation or is this more a lack of emphasis on RTL in driver support? I wish I could afford the RME stuff. Have you been able to get your hands on the new RME babyface yet?

DICE-II is less expensive to implement...

Thus far, we've not seen a DICE-II unit (Alesis, TC, Focusrite, Presonus) that offers TRL equal to the best units available.
    So... I'd say it's likely a hardware limitation.
    Some of the DICE-II units (ie: TC units) do have nice preamps/converters/features.  TRL just isn't their forte'.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:StudioKonnekt 48 and Round Trip Latency... 2010/07/18 15:08:33 (permalink)
    11.5 ms round trip reported by SOnar @ 192 samples, 8.5 @ 128.  I can use the latter if need be, but 192 when mixing heavily processed tracks.  This is for 'Normal" mode w/o extra buffers.  The 8.5 ms works for my midi recording/softsynths needs.  As far as analog recording, the 48 has a 0 latency mixer and built in comp/eq and reverb hardware effects that you can record w/ or lay reverb back to headphones.

As to my computer specs here:  AMD Athalon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5, 2 gigs; VIsta 32, SP 2 (if I gave up buying hardware I'll get a newer one).

TC drivers sometimes stick when changing rates, etc., but otherwise pretty stable.  As I've said before, all their interfaces uses the same drivers so you continue you to get the benefit of updates - at least for the forseeable future.  The latency works for me, but if you need less it would be best to look elsewhere.   I don't remember anyone on the rather lackadasical forum claiming super low latency.

Still, it sounds good.  I remember Hugh @ SOS saying the TCK 6 (pre-Twin unit) was the best sound he'd heard (and measured) from a -$500 interface and gave his Benchmark a run for the money.  I'm happy with the sound, anyway.  The DA is really outstanding.  The preamps are nice, too, clean and a lot of gain.  They don't quite match up to my Focusrite standalone (see hardware purchases for home above), but cost a fraction of it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1