Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5

Author
manenbu
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 99
2010/07/19 05:00:20 (permalink)

Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5

Hello, I'm having problems making my Novation Remote Zero SL working with Sonar.

I installed Automap 3.5 and turned it for alll plugins, and nothing happens when I use the wrapped plugins inside Sonar. From my Cubase days, I remember that it should automatically map everything in the plugin to the controller, including names on the LCD and show me the mappings in the Automap server window. Nothing happens.

The transport buttons on the controller are not working as well (play, rewind, etc).
I set up the controller as explained on the "DAW setup guide" in Automap but no success.
I'm using windows 7 x64, with a 64bit version of Sonar.

Any help?

12 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/19 12:11:49 (permalink)
    you MIGHT need to set it up as a control surface.. not 100% sure on that..

you will need to enable the midi port for it , in your midi setup.

but there is options to setup midi to control events such as play.. forget which menu, but you can do midi learn

you use the virtual midi port of the unit to do it, automap is really for plugins , maybe different with your setup as I use a nocturn / launchpad.. but I would say set up the play / stop etc.. via the MME(?) options in sonar..

not in front of sonar at the mo, but it is listed in the menu's

manenbu
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/19 13:15:38 (permalink)
    I need to set it as a control surface. This is listed in the setup instructions for automap. I did it, but it's not working as it should.

Plugins also should work out of the box. I have a feeling that when I fix the plugins problem, the transport buttons will work as well.
    noonie
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/19 15:26:20 (permalink)
    I've got a 25SL that works great, but I'm still using AutoMap 3.0, and on a 32-bit system.

Have you enabled the midi ports in sonar in audio Options?
    Is there anything at all showing up in the Remote's LCD's? In particular, do you see CC#'s listed there?
    I've had that happen occasionally and Sonar would stop responding to it....but deleting it and re-entering it as a control surface fixes it.

Also, make sure that both the in's and out's in the control surface setup are both set to "AutoMap Midi"

I've also experienced AutoMap not working playing well with any additional control surfaces, an AlphaTrack in particular. That ended up being a problem with AutoMap that was fixed in an update, back in 2.0. Not much help with 3.5, but could be something to look into.

Dell Latitude E6500
    P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    MOTU Ultralite mkIII Hybrid
    Win 7 32-bit
    Sonar  Platinum
    Jitterbug_Boy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/19 15:48:39 (permalink)
    Mine works fine on v 8.3.1 of Sonar too (so no help I am afraid) I struggle to get my head round it properly though - do you know how to get it to control the EQ on multiple channels in Console view??? Is this even possible - I would like in a similar way to that of send etc...presume I have to use a normal non automap template - but how???

Jitterbug Boy
    ----------------------------
    Sonar X1 Producer
    Novation SL
    Yamaha DX7
    DSI Tetra
    Mackie 1220i
    Windows NT
    noonie
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/19 16:02:33 (permalink)
    Good question Jitter.

I'm with you on getting your head around it. I pretty much just use autoMap for plugs and basic mixing...I haven't attempted creating templates with it. I pretty much just use it while tracking, for quick adjustments and stuff. I switch to an AlphaTrack when mixing....which by the way, controls Sonar's EQ right out of the box.....only one channel at a time though.

Dell Latitude E6500
    P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    Win 7 32-bit
    Sonar  Platinum
    Jitterbug_Boy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/22 08:26:55 (permalink)
    Hmmm - that sounds interesting - can you describe he experience of using the Alpha Track...
    - how do you switch between tracks
    - I presume you have use the buttons to jump between EQ / Pan etc - can you control more than 1 EQ per track (obviously one at a time)
    - I only have the one controller - how does one go about switching between different ones in Sonar - is this fairly simple?

Cheers (looks like i may be spending more money!!)

Andy

Jitterbug Boy
    ----------------------------
    Sonar X1 Producer
    Novation SL
    Yamaha DX7
    DSI Tetra
    Mackie 1220i
    Windows NT
    Fog
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/22 21:17:49 (permalink)
    the thing is as well as using automap

sonar has ACT built in..

sure automap your plugins thats straight forward (all that is , is another layer on top of the exsisting pluging)

but then of course there is MME setting for the transport bar.. and ACT for altering the faders etc. within the mixer perhaps. have you tried using it with ACT ?

manenbu
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/23 02:12:32 (permalink)
    I know sonar has ACT, but I want to use Automap since it's even faster and easier (well, should be). Otherwise I wouldn't have bought a Novation controller.
    Besides, if it works for noonie above, then it should work here as well.
    Anyway, I'm with Novation tech support on this. Until then - mouse intead of knobs.

Sonar 8.5.3 x64 on Windows 7 ~ C2Q9550 ~ 4GB RAM
    Musikus
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/23 03:02:58 (permalink)
    noonie

Good question Jitter.

I'm with you on getting your head around it. I pretty much just use autoMap for plugs and basic mixing...I haven't attempted creating templates with it. I pretty much just use it while tracking, for quick adjustments and stuff. I switch to an AlphaTrack when mixing....which by the way, controls Sonar's EQ right out of the box.....only one channel at a time though.

Hello!

I´m using an Alphatrack as well for mixing (Sonar 8.5), but I can´t use it to control the EQ, sends of instrument-tracks (all functions of the "older" audiotracks). Instrument-tracks are always recognized as Midi-Tracks from my Alphatrack. I wrote an e-mail to frontierdesign and they could reproduce this problem with the instrument-tracks. The support was very friendly, but no solution right now. Did you find a way to get arround with this?

Andreas
    Fog
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/23 05:17:08 (permalink)
    manenbu

I know sonar has ACT, but I want to use Automap since it's even faster and easier (well, should be). Otherwise I wouldn't have bought a Novation controller.
    Besides, if it works for noonie above, then it should work here as well.
    Anyway, I'm with Novation tech support on this. Until then - mouse intead of knobs.

automap is great for VST fx / instruments. but well if your stuck in that mindset where you don't wanna use other modes to do what you wanna do.. then well thats that.. tell us if they told  to use MME or ACT

if your unit has control buttons for say play etc.. then they are probably just CC's.. and they will more than probably say just set them up as MME

I use a number of things beside sonar, and well have to use the virtual midi port instead of automap to have them working (if automap did EVERYTHING..  the virtual midi port wouldn't be needed , in my case with 2 of their products)

post edited by Fog - 2010/07/23 05:22:36
    manenbu
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/24 04:40:23 (permalink)

Well, I have no explanation for this but it suddenly started working.
    After countless times of trying to figure out what was wrong, I started Sonar one time and I noticed that it actually controls the mixer! And automap works as well.

Sonar 8.5.3 x64 on Windows 7 ~ C2Q9550 ~ 4GB RAM
    noonie
    Re:Automap 3.5 with Sonar 8.5 2010/07/26 12:10:54 (permalink)
    Manenbu..... glad you got it working. I find that fix works the same way for me in alot of things, hehehe

Jitter.......
    1. There are previous/next track buttons on the AT, to scroll between track. Also, you can still use a mouseclick, and the AT will follow. One thing that really sucks though, the AT does not recognize hidden tracks as hidden, so when you scroll with the AT buttons, you scroll through all tracks, hidden or not. (I forget if this same behavior applies to archived tracks.

The EQ button on the AT alloew you to control Sonar's track EQ (which is the Sonitus EQ). Same as with the Sonar track/strip GUI, you can control 4 bands. This EQ actually has 6 bands though (if you double click on the graphical plot area of the strip, it will bring up the full Sonitus VST interface.) the AT will only control the 4 bands exposed by the Sonar GUI, one at a time.
    For example, hit the EQ button once and the three rotaries give you access to freq, boost/cut, and Q, for on band. To switch to another band, you have to hit the EQ button again and it will bring up a a second page where the rotaries control Band#, Filter type, and (I think) band enable/disable. Hit the EQ button again and it brings you back to the first page for the correspnding band you just changed in page 2.
    If you want to control a second EQ, it would be handled as a plug-in by the AT, which means it would need to have focus in order for the AT to conrtol it. Not sure how the controls would actually be displayed in that case, but the same general procedure would stand....hit the "plug-in" button and the AT will cycle thru pages of parameters for the 3 rotaries........hope that all made sense, heheheh

I'm pretty sure that Sonar will respond to multiple control surfaces at the same time, as long as they are setup in the control surface screen. I'm not positive on that offhand though, maybe someone can chime in.

Musikus.....
    Yes, instrument tracks are an issue. Setting them up as seperate tracks (the old way) solves that problem.

Dell Latitude E6500
    P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB RAM
    Win 7 32-bit
    Sonar  Platinum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1