Guitar Capo Frustration

Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2010/07/19 20:19:43 (permalink)

Guitar Capo Frustration

Hello all,

So, I am a drummer...Trying to play guitar.  I can't bar the chord I want cleanly, so I thought I would use a capo.  Problem is, when I put it on, the guitar goes out of tune.  I tried to tune flat the same amount it was going sharp so that it would be in 440 whith the capo on, but I can't get all the strings in tune exactly...and yes...I'm picky, it needs to be in tune.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks all !

Butch
Let's make some art!

23 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/19 20:21:58 (permalink)
    Less pressure on the capo.

Is the guitar really adjusted for intonation?

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/19 20:25:18 (permalink)
    Well, yeah; this is pretty common. The stings will slide a little under the capo, but you have to pull on them. Most guitars tend to go sharp. You will need to tune the guitar, put the capo on, then tune each string like you would normally. When you adjust the tuners, you will have to pull the string to slide it under the capo. It'll get in tune, just takes a little longer.

Many capo's require you to put them on tight since they are pretty generic. They usually don't follow the curvature of the fretboard precisely, so you have to overcompensate how hard you lock them down.

I just was using one today myself!
    post edited by Ron Vogel - 2010/07/19 20:27:06

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/19 20:47:59 (permalink)
    What chord is it you want that can't be played open? Most chords are played on the guitar using 3 - 5 notes so it's not necessary to bar the whole 6 strings.

Use a tuner once the capo is on where you want it. If you have checked the obvious (intonation etc.) then you are good to go. When you take the capo off you will have to re-tune again.

Many factors will affect how much the guitar goes out when you place the capo on including action (string height), fret gauge, sring guage etc. and of course the type of capo.

If you are picky then you should probably be aware that theoretically a guitar is never in tune, a good compromise is to use equal temperament tuning. Here's a link to an interesting article on guitar tuning:

http://www.guyguitars.com...g.html#Octave%20method

My favorite method is here:
    http://www.glowingtubes.c...temperament_tuning.htm

Good luck and have fun.
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/07/19 20:49:42

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/19 21:36:25 (permalink)
    The advice on capos is correct... it is possible to put one on and not have to retune.... but generally something will be slightly off. I always retune after applying the capo.

I don't really like to use a capo except to get the TONE difference that using one gives. 

I decided many years ago to learn the chords in many positions on the neck so I would not need a capo.
    The guitar player before me, in the church orchestra always used a capo.... they tend to play in Eb, Bb, Dd, and so on.... a capo made it easy for him. When I started I just played, and he looked at me and said..."Dude, how do you do that?" ..........uhhhhhh I just do....!

I suggest that you tough it out and keep working on the bar chords and develop the muscle strength  and  muscle memory needed to play them. If you work hard at it, it will not take long.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 07:31:15 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't get the chance to read these replies until this morning.  Last night, I just toughed it out, playing the part over and over.  Once every few takes, I would play it right with no/minimal buzzing.  I got enough of those good takes that I should be able to cut and paste a good track together.

I will try the new capo techniques tonight when I try to double the part on my strat, (much higher action than the guitar I was using last night).

Thanks again.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 08:01:47 (permalink)
    fretting a bar chord is easier if the guitar has lower action...(strings closer to the neck)

The gauge of the strings will also play a sizable factor in how easy it is to fret the strings. choose a lighter gauge set...like .009 or .010....

my favorite set: Ernie Ball Super Slinky .009 (Bright Pink Package)

and you mentioned a strat....lower action should be a given there....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/20 08:04:03

BMI/NSAI

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 08:43:10 (permalink)
    I used to have a tuning issue with capos. 
    Now, if I want to use it on the 5th fret, i'll fret a A# bar chord on the 6th to cap the tension and string movement.  (if you can't form the whole chord, at least bar all 6 strings with one finger).  Strum the chord quickly to make sure all 6 strings are in tune, then slap the capo on the 5th.  Strum and use the capo with your right hand.  Only once the capo is on do I release my left hand from the fretboard.
    As long as the guitar is intonated properly, i've never had a tuning issue this way.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 08:49:51 (permalink)
    Can't say I've ever had tuning problems using a capo.

Provided that the guitar is in tune, is intonated properly, there's not too much pressure on the capo, the action is reasonably low and a fairly light gauge of strings is used - you should be good to go.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 17:36:53 (permalink)
    I don't like a capo. I've never liked a capo. It always feels like it's in the way. I recommend: just keep practicing. Your hand will get strong enough to dispense with a capo entirely, forever.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 18:39:15 (permalink)
    I think alot of the tuning issues with a capo comes from the way it is put on..... if it is put on straight down with no other movement backwards or forwards the strings should stay pretty much in tune. However, if the strings are pushed or pulled.... there will be tuning problems....

BMI/NSAI

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/20 19:04:33 (permalink)
    I just can't see what difference in tuning there is from when we capo with the index finger as when the capo is doing it. It is true, though that the tuning throughout the fretboard is not totally accurate, though. Even the strings, fat-to-thin, do not follow the math theories precisely. I think the guitar is constantly un-tuning with the ambient..It also has to do with the string quality, and to whether they are brand new or have already been on enough to stretch-out.

I'd don't use a capo, although I have one. I like to learn to figure a song and  play it in a suitable key no matter what it'd be.

I've always seen it as that the capo is a substitute for when a song is changed to a another key, rather than to substitute for weak fingers, and the person can't quite play the song in that other key.

My guitar is a flamenco one..The capos used there use a G guitar nylon string as a loopback, and it is twisted with a peg, similar to a guitar peg. They are very minimalistic in design. They are all wood. No metallic parts to minimize sound interference.

Flamenco players usually play only in 3 keys, and much of what they do is accompany singers. So they adjust with the capo to match the voice of the player, and basically that's their use. Their intrincate fast playing does not lend itself to play 'in any key' easily, specially since most of what they do is improvising, to follow a singer or dancer.

I am not a flamenco player, though. I bought it from a flamenco player because I liked its sound when he let me try it.

Here's a picture of a flamenco capo, just for sharing info, in case some are not familiar. They are meant only for nylon strings, though.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Studious
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/21 13:33:29 (permalink)
    Assuming the guitar is properly set up, the capo itself can be the culprit.  If it's not adjustable, it may be squeezing the strings too tightly, actually bending the strings into the fretboard.

With an adjustable capo, you set it so it barely presses the strings against the fret.  For example, Shubb makes a nice one http://www.shubb.com/

Also be sure the capo roughly matches the curve of your fretboard.  If you use a flat capo on a non-flat fretboard, the middle strings (D and G) get squeezed much tighter than the outer strings.
    SilverfoxUK
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 04:30:53 (permalink)
    I totally disagree with this "get better, never use a capo" idea.

I too dislike using a capo and made sure to learn all positions and barre chords so as not to use one, but I soon realized that it is still very useful for OPEN strings.

If you want to play something in a different key using open strings, a capo HAS to be used, and can sound beautiful too. Barre chords just don't ring true enough and also some intricate hammer-ons and pull-offs cannot be achieved in the Barre position.

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Gigabyte SKT-1155 P67A-UD5 B3    
    Intel i5 2400 Sandybridge Quad core    
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    V-STUDIO 100 (Driver 1.50)
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 07:28:39 (permalink)
    Correct fox!!!

That's what I primarily use mine for.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 09:09:36 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I think alot of the tuning issues with a capo comes from the way it is put on..... if it is put on straight down with no other movement backwards or forwards the strings should stay pretty much in tune. However, if the strings are pushed or pulled.... there will be tuning problems....

That's the problem I found with capos.  By barring a chord with my left hand at the fret above where I want the capo, then putting it on carefully with the right, it's more likely to hold the strings in a straight line.

As for the "don't use a capo, fret better" suggestions, you can get different chord voicings with a capo.  I agree that learning to hold bar chords is a better technique than using a capo as a crutch, they do have justified uses.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 12:15:38 (permalink)
    The purpose of a capo is for transposing to another key. Not because you can't play in that key, but because you want to get the effect of using open strings in that key.

Byron Dickens
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 12:39:32 (permalink)
    With an adjustable capo, you set it so it barely presses the strings against the fret. For example, Shubb makes a nice one http://www.shubb.com/

+1  That's the one I use.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 12:39:33 (permalink)
    Exactely Dickens and fox. A capo isn't used as a crutch. It's because you want the same "open" voicings in a different key. Bar subsitutes don't sound or ring the same way.

I only use a capo when using open tunings. Don't want to get on the open tuning discussion, but that too, is to achieve different voicing, not because you can't play certain chords. Can have neat effect when placed way up, and sound like a mandolin, or banjo if hammering in conjuction with strumming.

It's up to the OP and what they are trying to achieve. If they don't care about the sound of the particular voicing, then they should just play an easier version of the chord. What chord is he trying to play anyway?

In my old age, I've found that I can sometimes eliminate the 6th and 1st string of a bar chord, and not barre. But still have a full chord with pretty much the same effect. Because if it's just to back the vocals, and there is bass anyway, I don't need the full six strings, arguably.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 13:11:09 (permalink)
    Try one of these performance capos...

http://www.g7th.com/

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    cliffsp8
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 375
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 17:09:46 (permalink)
    edentowers

Try one of these performance capos...

http://www.g7th.com/

+1 for G7 performance capo.

Having tried several types this is my favourite because it is easy to fit, is unobtrusive to play with and can be fixed with differing pressures (by how hard you squeeze it when it is in place) which minimizes the tendency to go out of tune.

Cliff 

DAW: W10 x64 Q6600, Intel MB, 4G Ram, 2x500GB 7200, 1x1TB 7200, 
    Mobile 1: Win 10 x32 Lenovo X60, 3G Ram, 500GB 7200  
    Mobile 2: W10 x64 Lenovo T60, 3G Ram, 500GB 7200
    I/O's: RME FFUC, MAudio FW1814, ADA8000, Echo Indigo,  Alphatrack, various midi stuff 

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/07/22 20:07:42 (permalink)
    I would suggest.

Light strings or lowering the action. Make it easy on yourself. When I taught guitar I saw many new students with inexpensive guitars that had very high action and thick strings. Learning chording was like pushing a granite ball up a hill.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/08/07 19:27:08 (permalink)
    SilverfoxUK

I totally disagree with this "get better, never use a capo" idea.

I too dislike using a capo and made sure to learn all positions and barre chords so as not to use one, but I soon realized that it is still very useful for OPEN strings.

If you want to play something in a different key using open strings, a capo HAS to be used, and can sound beautiful too. Barre chords just don't ring true enough and also some intricate hammer-ons and pull-offs cannot be achieved in the Barre position.

Totally agree here Mr Fox, especially for fingerpicking style guitar

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:Guitar Capo Frustration 2010/08/13 22:20:08 (permalink)
    This may sound a little strange, but if you're recording I've occasionally recorded chords by playing one or two strings at a time and double/triple tracking.  It's only a 'little' strange because I'm not the first or only person to do that.

Meanwhile, keep practicing and have fun.  I guarantee you that you're already a better guitarist than I am a drummer.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1