Is a wireless multimedia keyboard a good idea?

Author
Rooftree
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2010/07/20 01:50:57 (permalink)

Is a wireless multimedia keyboard a good idea?

I'm building a DAW and have all the components figured out except for the keyboard.  I want to go wireless for ease of use in multiple seating positions.  I'm wondering if a multimedia keyboard would be of benefit since it would include FF, REV, PAUSE, PLAY controls that could possibly be tied to transport functions in Sonar.

I've had nothing but problems with my current computer and Sonar, so I'm a bit paranoid about any software or device that could possibly cause Sonar to not run smoothly.  Although the transport functions sound like they could be slick, I wonder if the key binding software could mess with Sonar.

So, three questions:

1)  Are there any interference or system hiccups that might be caused by a wireless keyboard.

2)  Can a multimedia keyboard be used to control Sonar transport functions?

3)  Will the key binding software cause problems with Sonar?

Sonar X2 Producer : Win 7 Pro 64 bit : i7-930 : 6GB RAM : Edirol UA-25EX
DimPro : Minimoog V : Lounge Lizard
Prophet 08 : Juno-60 : Odyssey : CS-30 : TR-606 : Korg 01W

1 Reply Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Is a wireless multimedia keyboard a good idea? 2010/07/20 07:01:27 (permalink)
    Finding a keyboard that can be used in Soar may be a hard trick.  Most (all that I've seen) of the multimedia keyboards are tied to the default Windows functions and cannot be customized.

I have a Microsoft (wired) multimedia keyboard and the sound functions ONLY work with my PC's sound card.

I have a Frontier "Tranzport" unit that is USB connected (control unit) and is a wireless controller for Sonar.  It will allow record, playback, and several other functions.  Unfortunately the device has been discontinued so only used ones are available.  The Tranzport will work in Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

post edited by fireberd - 2010/07/20 07:02:50

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1