Sonar 4 won't record

Author
mike361
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2010/07/20 11:21:18 (permalink)

Sonar 4 won't record

Ok I know I should upgrade and plan to as soon as I buy a bigger H.D., but for now I am using ver.4. I just installed the new interface and have confirmed on a laptop that all is working fine from the ultra. On my desktop I previously used a old Aardvark lx6 and before that a Layla 20 bit. Always worked fine with sonar. With the ultra, I can pick all the inputs and outs and the asio panel all seem to be working and recognized. But I can arm a audio track and nothing. No meter activity at all. The M-audio meters all show working from their correct in and outs but sonar will not record or even show input activity. I only get by with sonar as I only use it for simple things but have always got it to record until now. Any help is appreciated

m-audio fastrack ultra
win xp-3

19 Replies Related Threads

mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 11:25:36 (permalink)
    I should have added that on my laptop, I was using the bundled Ableton software that came with the Ultra. It does recognise and record the Ultra just fine, so I know the hardware is working.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 11:29:19 (permalink)
    Track input selection matches driver names, audio engine is lit, and The M-Audio is your Playback and Record timing master in Options > Audio? How about playback of existing/imported audio?

EDIT: And Ableton is not running at the same time as SONAR, I trust...?
    post edited by brundlefly - 2010/07/20 11:31:05
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 11:37:53 (permalink)
    Options-Audio-Drivers. Make sure the Fasttrack is selected for Input and Output. You might also want to change the driver mode to WDM. I find M-Audio devices work better in WDM mode.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 11:48:58 (permalink)

the ultra, I can pick all the inputs and outs and the asio panel all seem to be working and recognized. But I can arm a audio track and nothing. No meter activity at all.
    Make sure you selected the correct input for that track.
    left 1/2  = input 1
    Right 1/2 = input 2
    Stereo 1/2 = both input 1 and 2

Left 3/4 = input 3
    Right 3/4 = input 4
    Stereo 3/4 = both inputs 3 and 4

Cj

post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/07/20 11:52:54

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 11:58:03 (permalink)
    Thanks, no Ableton is only on the laptop. Sonar is on my desktop that I use for audio.
     I have tried the wdm drivers and same thing. All the drivers are selected and match correctly. I did not uninstall or remove the Aarvark card before installing the Ultra, and sonar was looking for it. So thinking that was the problem I removed those drivers and the pci card. Sonar does not try to find it after that but that did not solve the problem.  
     Everything in sonar looks correct that is why I am at a loss.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 12:01:04 (permalink)
    Whats listes as your recording and playback timing manager? You should re-profile your sound card, since you uninstalled your aardvark
    Follow this, per sonar's help files

Click Options | Audio | Advanced.  Set your Driver Mode to ASIO.  If you do not see Driver Mode, make sure the box next to “Always use mme interface” is NOT checked.  Click OK and restart the program. 
    Next, Click Options | Audio:
    On the Drivers tab:
    Make sure your M-Audio card is selected under both inputs and outputs.  If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your M-Audio card.  If changes are made, click OK and restart the program. 

NOTE: M-Audio also provides very reliable WDM drivers. If you experience problems in ASIO Driver Mode, you may want to consider using WDM as an alternative.
    On the general tab:
    Make sure one of your M-Audio card drivers is selected as Playback Timing master.  Click OK.  Restart the program if prompted. 

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the M-Audio device itself.  Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs. 

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 12:11:32 (permalink)
    I have tried all the input options in track select. The ultra has 4 mic in on the front channels 1-4, but if you push the button it reverts to the coresponding channel 1-4 on the back. I actually have not tried the rear inputs other than 5&6 but that does not work either.  Also it will not playback existing audio. But I have not tried to hard to get that to work.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 15:13:36 (permalink)
    This is similar to my problem with the M-audio fast track and my desktop. I had a SB Audigy card and like you, was having problems so I  tried removing it and the drivers. Still nothing worked. I had to re-install windows and start from scratch and since then all worked perfectly. Must be little thinks that are hidden in the registry that interfere. Any how Re doing the OS was a overall  a good move as it even lowered my dpclat readings and freed up disk space. a CLEAN MACHINE!

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

CJaysMusic
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 18:00:31 (permalink)
    mike361

I have tried all the input options in track select. The ultra has 4 mic in on the front channels 1-4, but if you push the button it reverts to the coresponding channel 1-4 on the back. I actually have not tried the rear inputs other than 5&6 but that does not work either.  Also it will not playback existing audio. But I have not tried to hard to get that to work.

After you disconnected your other sound card, did your re-profile your maudio card? did you follow the instructions in post # 7

Your problem is a sinmple configuration problem, so knowing what you did and did not do is important. Knowing all your sound card settings in sonar will help you help us also
    Cj

Audio Blog
    daveny5
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 18:38:09 (permalink)
    You don't need to reinstall Windows from scratch. That would be my last resort.

Check Windows device manager and make sure its recognizing the Fasttrack and says its operating properly.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    johnnyV
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 19:52:58 (permalink)
    My point is that you can spend days trying to get to the bottom of the problem and  it gets complicated and messy. Or take  the easy clean route. I agree that for some re installing OS is a chore, but it only takes me a few hours and I do it for a few good reasons.  I am not alone in people here who had spent days trying to get the system to work and in the end took this route and it fixed the bug.  There is an issue if you have a had a PCI card and switch to USB or firewire. I wished I could find the threads where we went through all this. I'll take a look again.

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/20 22:17:33 (permalink)
    I have checked the device manager and all ok with the m-audio.    the playback timing master is set to maudio asio out 1 fastrack ultra.
     the record timing master is maudio usb 2.0 analog in 1 fastrack ultra
    audio driver bit depth is 24 (greyed out)
    sample rate 48000    file bit depth 24
    Advanced tab.
    i/o buffer 128   driver mode asio    dithering=rectangular
    always open all devices checked and the synchronation is set to trigger and freewheel.
    On the drivers tab timing offset says 0.000 msec
    the input shows 1 usb 2.0 analog in fastrack ultra, also 2 and 3 same all selected with the spdif not chosen but there.
    output drives show 1,3,5 maudio usb 2.0 software out fastrack ultra.
     Wondering if that should show software out?  Also I tried a tutorial that is midi and that did have playback. though no audio. with sonar running or not I do have sound running through the ultra with a keyboard that is plugged in to input 5,6 . Also can hear a mic through it plugged in to input 1.   Still trying to figure it out.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 10:27:46 (permalink)
    Thought I would add that when I tried the wdm drivers, sonar did profile the card and everything passed. I think my next step will be to disable my realtek card in the bios. I have done this in the device manager but not from the bios. I did not have to worry about that with the lx6 as I worked fine. Also considering just upgrading and hope that works.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 10:38:12 (permalink)
    I think my next step will be to disable my realtek card in the bios.

Worth a try, but should not be necessary; I personally prefer to leave onboard sound active for use by Windows and generic multimedia apps, reserving my interface for use by SONAR. And, for the record, there is no particular issue with switching from a PCI interface to USB. I can switch back and forth between my E-MU PCI and M-Audio Omnistudio without a hitch. You just have to make sure only one driver is active at a time with SONAR in ASIO mode.

As a troubleshooting step. you might try taking SONAR out of the loop by downloading the free CEntrance ASIO latency checker, and seeing if it can recognize and measure latency of the Fastrack independently:

http://centrance.com/downloads/ltu/

mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 15:42:05 (permalink)
     I turned off the internal sound card in bios and no difference. I did discover that windows media player and itunes will not play sound either. Now I must assume it is a windows problem. All the windows settings appear to be correct so at this point I have to figure that out.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 15:53:41 (permalink)
    Yea, the window sounds from WMP or itunes is a windows setting. But for now, lets concentrate on Sonar.

Lets start form scratch, cause this is getting confusing. So this is what I want you to do.

1.) I want you to delete your aud.ini file. To find it, do a windows search and select custom search and check search for hidden folders.
    2.) After windows finds your aud.ini folder, I want you to open it up and delete all the contents in it.
    3.) Then turn your m audio card on and wait about 20 to 30 seconds.
    4. Then start Sonar
    5.) If it doesn't automatically run the wave profiler, change the driver mode to WDM and perform it manually.
    6.) After its done switch to ASIo and make sure the racing and playback timing masters are listed for the analog inputs and outputs of the m audio card. Also make sure the drivers are selected in option/audio/drivers.

7.) Exit form the menus and then make sure your master bus is outputted to your main outs ans make sure your main outs is listed as your sound card's 1/2 outs

It will work
    Cj

Audio Blog
    johnnyV
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 16:20:53 (permalink)
    I did not uninstall or remove the Aarvark card before installing the Ultra, and sonar was looking for it. So thinking that was the problem I removed those drivers and the pci card. Sonar does not try to find it after that but that did not solve the problem.  
     Everything in sonar looks correct that is why I am at a loss.

This is what concerns me. Like I said in#9 a few of us a while back had this problem switching from using a PCI sound card ( not onboard that is different thing) to a USB interface. The PCI sound card software seems to ingrain itself in the OS system causing a conflict. Uninstalling the software and deleting folders does not seem to rid you of the little bits that got scattered though the OS. The only thing that worked for me and some one else here, was a clean install of OS. Sorry if I sound like a broken record*( CD?)

Scarlett 6i6

daveny5
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 16:24:53 (permalink)
    You could also go into the registry and remove all references to the Aardvark. Make sure you back it up first. Also you could run CCleaner to rid your registry of broken links.

BTW: You are still using Windows XP SP3, right?
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/07/21 16:26:49

Dave
    mike361
    Re:Sonar 4 won't record 2010/07/21 17:09:17 (permalink)
    I am so impressed with the level of help I received here. The m-audio forum is just garbage imo. It really is shameful how little help you get there. I have solved the problem and it was just by chance. There is a box that can be checked on the m-audio control panel that says high performance mode. As soon as I unchecked it and restarted the unit everything worked. I have no idea what it even does but it sounded like a good thing. So again thanks so much for all of your time with this and now I will upgrade to 8.5 knowing sonar does work with the Ultra.

m-audio fastrack ultra
    win xp-3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1