My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think!

Author
Wolfos9
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/07/20 14:52:00 (permalink)

My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think!

This link will send you to my myspace that has 2 songs 'Take the Time' and 'The Great Exchange'

Take the time is my original song, while The great exchange is my attempt to make an identical sounding cover of a Thrice song by the same name.

I think I did well. Both songs I used Sonar 8 to record! Tell me what you think!

http://www.myspace.com/theminorchord

6 Replies Related Threads

Wolfos9
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/20 14:53:49 (permalink)
    Oh there are lyrics to both, but I didn't record vocals.

I don't think I have the talent for that, I'll have to look for someone who can sing.
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/20 15:10:32 (permalink)
    Hi Logan,
    Welcome and nice job on your first usage of Sonar. If you could enhance the indvidual drum tracks (sounds a bit muffled), bring up the guitar a feb dB's, it'll definitely improve the overall sound.  BTW, I'm also listening through headphones, so mileage may vary... :)

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/20 18:04:10 (permalink)
    I listened to Take the Time. Sounds pretty good overall and definitely worth finishing - I was hearing a vocal melody in my head pretty much straight away. You could always try recording some vox just to present the idea - I'm no singer either, but I've found that people on here are usually pretty understanding of that and will comment constructively on your ideas even if the delivery is a bit dodgy  ;)

Mix wise, I think you could do a little work on the drums to separate them a bit and maybe tweak the eq some to bring them out a little. That said, I'm only listening on little earbuds, so might be best to wait for some other comments and see if others are hearing it the same before you go and change anything.

As usual I will add my usual disclaimer that I'm no kind of expert and these are just my opinions as a listener. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing some more of your work.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/20 20:05:47 (permalink)
    Logan,
      Sounds like a good start, nice guitar tone and playing.  The drums would shine with a little polish here and there as mentioned above. 

I second what Paulo said about going for some vocals.  Folks here are very helpful and the song really sounds like a good bed for a vocal tune.  You might surprise yourself or find a vocal collaborator in the process. 

Good luck with it, look forward to hearing the progress on this one.
    Wolfos9
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/21 08:27:17 (permalink)
    Thanks you guys are all great help.

I was about to do what you all said and try to bring out the guitar and fix drums, but it seems i lost my project :( so all I have left is the mp3 file.

That sucks but oh well i guess.

Also if anyone has tips on how to 'polish' up drums and bring out the guitar I would love to hear!
    Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:My First Songs Using Sonar 8!!! Tell me what you think! 2010/07/21 10:10:59 (permalink)
    Wolfos9

Also if anyone has tips on how to 'polish' up drums and bring out the guitar I would love to hear!

Check out the Producer/Studio forum (Get Started) has good info and helpful people. If you can set up each drum (kick, snare, hi-hat, toms etc..) on seperate tracks, then you can tweak until your heart's content!! Here's a link on setting this up: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1659871&high=drums+seperate+tracks.   If the whole drum kit is on one track, then your options a very limited (EQ may become your best friend:)). Do a little search in these forums, as well as youtube and more than likely, your questions have already been asked by someone else.
    Also Logan, (when asking a particular question) it'd be a good idea to state your sys specs (hardware/software) and what actual steps you've taken to resolve whatever issue you're having.....then, all these knowledgeable folks will have an easier time in answering your questions. 
    Cheers & keep the music flowing!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1