Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/07/20 15:06:03 (permalink)

Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits

Danny Elfman is one of the most successful (and highest-paid) film and TV composers ever. Like John Williams, Elfman's music often transcends mood-setting background and becomes hummable foreground music. Think "The Simpsons" theme. Even if many of the movies he's graced with his talents didn't deserve it (e.g. that gawdawful remake of Planet of the Apes).

Check out this montage of Elfman's greatest hits on Youtube.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

21 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/20 17:14:22 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Danny Elfman is one of the most successful (and highest-paid) film and TV composers ever. Like John Williams, Elfman's music often transcends mood-setting background and becomes hummable foreground music. Think "The Simpsons" theme. Even if many of the movies he's graced with his talents didn't deserve it (e.g. that gawdawful remake of Planet of the Apes).

Check out this montage of Elfman's greatest hits on Youtube.

For me, Elfman's greatest accomplishment came some years ago with the score for the very first Batman movie.  The art direction of that film was amazingly original in its depiction of Gothom City.  Elfman's music fit it to a tee, and I think you could say every bit as original.  Also, any time Elfman teams up with Tim Burton, good things are almost guaranteed to happen.
    Monkey23
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 848
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/20 17:33:17 (permalink)
    Not a big Elfman fan. I do recognize him as being a talented guy but I find his style to be a bit predictable and cutesy (and as a result irritating). Actually I think what ended it for me was the "Batman" patch in Dimension pro. Instant Elfman!
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/20 17:39:58 (permalink)
    I've liked Elfman since the Oingo Boingo days. When it comes to film scores, he's one of the best. Although I agree that his sound has become "typical" for him, you can usuallly tell an Elfman score before you see the credits. Not necessarily a bad thing.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/20 17:43:30 (permalink)
    Elfman = predictable
    Williams = predictable
    Kaman = predictable

That's why they keep getting hired over and over.

Again, I agree with Mark, not necessarily a bad thing.

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/20 17:45:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, that Chris Kaman of the Clippers..........very predictable

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 11:07:10 (permalink)
    They negelected Elfman's greatest movie moment...

Dead Man' party in Back to School

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIOulqDF_l4

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 11:07:52 (permalink)
    My favorite Elfman piece is The Breakfast Machine. Although I don't remember the dancing dino from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

My favorite all-time soundtrack is Star Trek II Wrath of Khan. The only good score James Horner has ever done. How can you not love a soundtrack album with the track "Kirk's Explosive Reply"?

My favorite latest soundtrack is Sherlock Holmes. It should've won the Oscar(TM). Michael Giacchino deserved it for his body of work (the Incredibles is... incredible), but in 2009, Sherlock Holmes was the ultimate best soundtrack. It's just a fact.

Monkey23
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 14:13:01 (permalink)
    bapu

Elfman = predictable
    Williams = predictable
    Kaman = predictable

That's why they keep getting hired over and over.

Again, I agree with Mark, not necessarily a bad thing.

Well Kamen has been dead for almost ten years so I don't think he keeps getting hired anymore!  And Williams? Have you heard the scores to "Memoirs of a Geisha" or "Catch me if you can"? Completely different, and just as good (if not better) than his more traditional scores (which I also love). Elfman on the other hand is just lucky someone keeps greenlighting Tim Burton's overrated crap.
    Monkey23
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 14:30:14 (permalink)
    tarsier

My favorite latest soundtrack is Sherlock Holmes. It should've won the Oscar(TM). Michael Giacchino deserved it for his body of work (the Incredibles is... incredible), but in 2009, Sherlock Holmes was the ultimate best soundtrack. It's just a fact.
    Absolutely agree. I think the Academy doesn't like him because he has a team of "ghost" writers. But who cares? So do many top composers, but Zimmer doesn't hide that fact. "Up" was good but repeated the main theme too much. As for Zimmer, forget "The Dark Knight. " Sherlock Holmes" was the best score of the year.
    post edited by Monkey23 - 2010/07/21 22:23:08
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 14:38:00 (permalink)
    Hi,

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000384/

Between you and I ... this is good stuff, but not great.

I would not compare Danny to a Maurice Jarre, a Vangelis Pappathanassiou, a Gabriel Yared, a Bernard Herrmann or a Zbigniew Preisner ... people whose music for the films is timeless and has graced the theaters of the world with an astonishing effect and degree.

That said, I think that Danny's best work is almost always with The Simpsons and Tim Burton ... even though I really think that he could get a bit weirder and stranger with Tim and the director would make the music work and then some.

All in all though, the music and how it is used in the majority of his work is fairly conventional and not really that special in my book. But it is good, or on par with other Hollywood composers like James Newton Howard.
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/21 14:44:25

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 15:20:51 (permalink)

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 16:13:46 (permalink)

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    dmbaer
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/21 18:39:56 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

I would not compare Danny to a Maurice Jarre, a Vangelis Pappathanassiou, a Gabriel Yared, a Bernard Herrmann or a Zbigniew Preisner ... people whose music for the films is timeless and has graced the theaters of the world with an astonishing effect and degree.

How could you leave Ennio Morricone off a list timeless film music composers?  Tsk, tsk. 

the director would make the music work and then some. 

It doesn't really work that way.  I read an interview with Elfmann once and it made me appreciate what an incredibly challenging job the composer has.  Writing great music must be challenging enough (I'm not a composer, so I can only dream of being able to do that).   But what makes it far more difficult for the film score composer is the short time frame the composer has to work in.  He cannot complete a score until the final cut of the film is "in the can", at which time the studio demands the music be completed yesterday.  These guys probably earn every penny of the big bucks they get paid.  Maximum stress, I'd say.

Moshkiae
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/22 20:33:43 (permalink)

It doesn't really work that way. I read an interview with Elfmann once and it made me appreciate what an incredibly challenging job the composer has. Writing great music must be challenging enough (I'm not a composer, so I can only dream of being able to do that). But what makes it far more difficult for the film score composer is the short time frame the composer has to work in. He cannot complete a score until the final cut of the film is "in the can", at which time the studio demands the music be completed yesterday. These guys probably earn every penny of the big bucks they get paid. Maximum stress, I'd say.

Actually it does in some cases.

There is an interview with Florian Fricke (Popol Vuh) and he was asked about the music used in various films. The comment was that he always had tapes around and that Werner would stop by ... find a piece of music he liked and leave. And later you found some magnificent visuals to a lot of Popol Vuh in the films.

David Lean also stated that there were times when he had to cut down the scene, because the music was just too much, and he just wanted to sit there and close his eyes and listen to the music and imagine the rest!

Hitchcock, actually learned to be more "weird" and "strange" with the camera angles AFTER he started using Bernard Herrmann music ... some of its weirdness having the effect of dis-associating you with the visual ... and leaving you hanging.

Roman Polanski, did this with the aid of a hand held camera as well, to create some really scary moments.

Vangelis pretty much stopped doing soundtracks because many directors were only cutting out a minute or two of his music and forget the rest. The 2 people that didn't, got him an Oscar and one of the prettiest soundtracks ever written for a film ... Blade Runner! The scene with the chairs was actually a piece of film on the floor ... that was not going to get used and became the symbol of the film.

The Hollywood model is about the little pieces and bits to help with the transitions, whereas a lot of european film does a bit more with music than just transitions. The majority of pieces of music, in the credits at the beginning and end, are usually fine, but in between, it's mostly a filler.

The creative process is ALSO about the music. The rest is about how a director uses the music ... and if you have not seen Carlos Saura use music ... ohhhh ... you're in for a treat. You need to find his film "Carmen" ... to get totally stupified, and then later catch his "Tango" ... which is just a tribute to the dance with massive music to lead the way!

In America, too much of the film is about the "action" and the music is almost incidental, and it's only job is to enhance that moment or let the sound effects do it. Try telling a Bertollucci that! A director whose film got an Oscar for Riuichi Sakamoto and David Byrne, and Riuichi did the western music and Byrne the eastern music in the film ... go figure, that an Italian director would even know how to make music shine in China! ... because the director also knew how to show case the music with Storaro's color filters and ideas and creativity!

See a film called "Visions of Light" ... it explains music a lot more than anything else ... but it's about the camera!

I don't dislike Danny ... but he is terribly conventional for my book. And a product of his environment. He will never get better, because the stars and the whomever is always more important and his music is secondary. At least with Tim Burton and The Simpsons, the creators are less afraid to have fun with the music and expand the idea. But visually, Hollywood won't allow it to happen as they think your attention span is only 30 seconds long courtesy of the daily tv load!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/22 20:38:59

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 10:26:56 (permalink)
    I have to agree that Danny Elfman is a brilliant composer. He can consistently churn out really good music under the gun. That has to be creativity in its ultimate form. Look at how much he has produced and the quality of what he has produced. Humbles many of us. I will give credit where credit is due. Many other greats have been mentioned here as well!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 14:55:58 (permalink)
    ee a film called "Visions of Light" ... it explains music a lot more than anything else ... but it's about the camera!

I've just added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of interesting documentaries, I recently saw "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey". Interesting guy, Theremin was, and had an interesting life. It's got to be the hardest instrument in the world to play serious melodies on, but Theremin himself was pretty good at it. The film also features a true virtuoso of the theremin, Clara Rockmore.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Moshkiae
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 15:16:41 (permalink)
    bitflipper

ee a film called "Visions of Light" ... it explains music a lot more than anything else ... but it's about the camera!

I've just added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the tip.

Speaking of interesting documentaries, I recently saw "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey". Interesting guy, Theremin was, and had an interesting life. It's got to be the hardest instrument in the world to play serious melodies on, but Theremin himself was pretty good at it. The film also features a true virtuoso of the theremin, Clara Rockmore.

Definitly going to check that one out ... also look for the DVD on Tom Dowd ... you're gonna love it. It's historical material is fabulous and the best "document" about the history of American music in the past 75 years!

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 15:39:16 (permalink)
    recently saw "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey".

When that came out, I excitedly went and saw it with my girlfriend at the time. She didn't like it. I should've known at that point that the relationship was doomed.

dmbaer
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 15:51:24 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

The Hollywood model is about the little pieces and bits to help with the transitions, whereas a lot of european film does a bit more with music than just transitions. The majority of pieces of music, in the credits at the beginning and end, are usually fine, but in between, it's mostly a filler.

One of the most absolutely disgusting experiences is to come to the end of an otherwise OK US film that might have had decent music and have some vapid pop crap ballad come on over the credits.  Gagworthy!  And it happens a lot.

And, yes, the European sensibility in this area can be an entirely different thing.  Two composers especially come to note (both rather far back): Arthur Bliss and Arthur Honnegar.  I knew them both for their symphonic works before I encountered their film music.  In both cases, the music has the integrety to stand on its own.  Today, we have Michael Nyman also being given a chance to provide film music (and very interesting music it is, by the way!).  None of these composers would have had a chance to compose for film if there were nothing being made outside of typical Hollywood fare.

space_cowboy
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 15:57:59 (permalink)
    Bitflipper
    Order Forbidden Zone.  You may hate it, you may love it, but it will definitely rank in the top 20 strangest movies you will ever see.  Elfman's bro produced it, Oingo Boingo scored it and Danny acts in it.  

space_cowboy
    Re:Danny Elfman's Greatest Hits 2010/07/23 16:02:37 (permalink)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1