Another ACT question (oh noooo)

Author
chrisby
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 248
2010/07/20 19:24:43 (permalink)

Another ACT question (oh noooo)

So I've searched around a good bit and found ton's of posts on ACT and have even seen reference to my question but never found a definitive answer. So to get to the point...

In the ACT config screen you have four sets of controller "rows" (typically sliders, rotary's, buttons, and shifted buttons).

Each row has four banks.

When "Control Group" is set to "track" the first two rows usually (for most controllers) will map sliders and rotary's to the projects' first 8 tracks' volume and pan settings.

When I change the bank to anything other than "1" for those two groups (sliders/rotary's), nothing is mapped and while I can connect a controller via "learn" I can't assign it to any function (like possibly the vol/pan for the next group of tracks, which is what I wanted to do).

So my question is is there a way to assign "bank 2 / slider 1" to track 9's volume control from ACT in the Track Control Group? I wouldn't even bother asking except I could have sworn that in my earlier messing around I thought I had it working like that breifly (though maybe not). I know you can assign buttons to move to "next track group" and basically achieve the same thing but it seems like it should work as I've described. Any info appreciated.... thx

6 Replies Related Threads

thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 19:50:58 (permalink)
    Hello there!

What you are trying to do is not possible! The logic behind ACT is that always 8 sliders and 8 knobs are assigned exclusively on each bank to certain "kinds" of parameters....moving to a 9th of a kind always requires moving to the next track group! Notice that even if you had a 9th slider/knob you 'd still wouldnt be able to use it in ACT - something that many people (including me) have complained about!

The reason you don't see the sliders and rotaries mapped to anything is because by "default" those other banks relate to send channels if any! For example if you create a "send" for sayyyyy track 1 then by using bank 1 you control the track's volume and pan, and when switching to bank 2 you control the track's send volume and send pan.

chrisby
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 19:57:08 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.... yeah, I kinda figured that was how it was but like I mentioned I really could have sworn I saw it work the way I described when I was trying all different permutations just to figure out how things worked. I guess I may have had the same button mapped to both "next track group" and "next slider bank" at the same time and not realized it. That would explain it, but more likely I just am remembering it wrong. Anyway, thanks again for the reply.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 20:35:28 (permalink)
    I figured ACT out to its deepest levels once and then realized my Alphatrack and mouse were easier to use than the knobs on my Axiom 49. I just use the Axiom for playing and not controlling the computer. It's just not smart enough or intuitive enough for a person to remember if you take a break from the DAW for a few days. That was my experience, others will vary I am sure.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    chrisby
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 20:41:48 (permalink)
    my Alphatrack and mouse

Heh, kinda funny... I just picked up an Axiom 49 and that's what got me into it (ACT). You are right though, not at all sure I'll ever re-coup the 10-20 hours I wasted figuring it out. That said I think I might use it if only because of my cramped work space requires my keyboard not be very close to the Axiom. But... good chance I won't use it so much either. Time will tell I guess.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 21:04:04 (permalink)
    The whole remapping the function of a knob or slider depending on your view or what track you are working on, is just ergonomically sub-par. I want a knob to do the same thing every time I use it. When it does something else or some cases 2 or 3 other things. It's just a mental cluster. I've screwed up automation, send levels and compression then spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my mix or track changed. Searching back through the history after 10 minutes of adjustments is counterintuitive to the creative process.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    chrisby
    Re:Another ACT question (oh noooo) 2010/07/20 22:10:05 (permalink)
    Yeah, I can see that. I've tried to keep what I use it for minimal. The reality is that I'll probably just use the transport buttons the most if that. But I will... have... the..... power. If I ever get around to actually using it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1