New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2010/07/20 19:50:35 (permalink)

New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle

Good evening fellow.....urrrr.. scratch that.  I haven't been around enough lately to use the term "fellow Cakies".  But that should be changing now.  Hope everyone is well and getting creative.

This one took four months to come around.  It is called Dive 2 the Middle and you can find it at this link:

http://distant-towers.com/DTlatestsong.htm

or on Sounclick at:  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9217914

We would very much appreciate any listens/feedback.  As usual we'll take the good, the bad and the ugly and hopefully be the better for it.

This one stemmed from a live session at my studio with Robbie Brunjes on drums, Tom on bass and me on guitar.  The final accounting ended up thus.....

Tom McCaffrey:  Lyrics, vocals, bass, lots of advice

Robbie Brunjes:  Drums, drums, drums

Tony Wood:  Guitars, guitar synths, a few backing vocals, arranging and mixing

Thanks!!

27 Replies Related Threads

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/20 20:27:04 (permalink)
    I am gonna have to let this one sink in.
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/20 20:40:19 (permalink)
    This is a real cool song. I'm not too keen on the distorted Aminor chords on the organ sounding guitar synth, but otherwise this is pretty nice..........real twisty. 

String Jammer
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/21 13:44:16 (permalink)
    Cool as a cool thing with a special reason to be cool.

Love it, classic DT.

James
    chrome
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/21 13:52:17 (permalink)
    The Doors meets tom petty? =)

Well, its kind of hard to jugde a massive work like this. I like it though. The mix is a bit muddy for me, i would like to brighten it a bit, and also make the low end a bit more defined and punchy. Perhaps a little stereo widening also=

Cool vocals all in all. But I wonder if it should be better if you gave them more FX ? THe musical bed is quite surreal, and it wouldnt hurt if the vox were a bit surreal too.

All in all, good performace. Most of my comments are mostly down to personal taste and preferences.

Well done!

void
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/21 14:37:23 (permalink)
    Wow this is awesome! The drums sound great the it's such a strong groove. The tones all work so nicely together. The section around 3:00 is killer.

Nice job guys!!
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/21 18:49:45 (permalink)
    I was only wondering earlier today what had happened to you guys, then I vaguely remembered reading something about you taking a break and then lo and behold here you are..... anyway...

Song wise I think this might well be my fave of all your tracks I've heard so far. Usually your stuff has to grow on me a while, but this one jumped straight out at me. Love the vibe/atmosphere of the guitar chords - reminds of a sound the guitarist in my band used get using one of those Roland Space Echo things I think (lots of complicated looking, surely it will just all tangle up any minute, tape looping around the place as I remember it!.) Anyhow, however you did it it's cool. Me like !

Mix wise I kind of agree with Chrome that it sounds kind of muddy in a way, yet at the same time I like it so having heard your usual standard I guess it's deliberate on your part anyway. I might be inclined to edge the vox up a little and at the risk of sounding like a   Chrome groupie I think some more fx on them would suit this piece too. I'm not sure that the audio clip at the end really adds anything, but I'm really nit-picking now - just personal taste.

Anyway, I've downloaded it for further listening pleasure, so thanks for sharing and showing most of the rest of us up yet again ;)
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/22 03:58:29 (permalink)
    Hey Tony and Tom,

It's great to see you guys back with another very cool, absolutely, very distinctly, DT song!

I like the grungy backing guitar chords during the verses and really love the guitar tones during the tasty solos.  Also, the changeup at 2:34 that leads into the second solo is nice, as well as the excellent wah solo during the intro and at 4:28 through the outro.  The bass and drums sound great and very tight together, and Tom's vox are right on the money.

For some reason, this gives me kind of an Iggy Pop meets ZZ Top fusion vibe that I really like.  Really nice work, boys!

Bob
    CreatingNoise
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/22 22:38:14 (permalink)
    James:  Thanks for listening.  I hope you'll be able to lay some feedback on me after this one sinks in some more. 

Scott:  Thanks for checking this one out and for the feedback.  That synth part definitely stands out but I can also see where it would be too strange.

James:  Thanks for sampling this one.  Cool baby cool (we is tryin)

Chrome:  Thanks for the listen and the feedback and good comments.  I think that I have too many guitar tracks happening and that is probably muddy-ing things up a bit.  I don't want to lose the little bit of gruffness the guitar has but I would like a little more clarity myself.  I'll have to revisit and see what a few changes might do in that department.

Dave:  Thanks man, preciate the listen and comments.  Still saving up for them new teeth I see

Paulo:  Thanks for stopping in to listen and for the good feedback and kind words.  The only intentional part of the guitars was to use a Gilmourish patch on my effects unit since the chords kinda fit that sound in my ears.  I said the same thing to Tom about the audio at the end but it has kinda grown on me now.  Thanks for downloading this one, I hope you enjoy and feel free to comment on anything you hear.  Your help is always appreciated.  Shoot man, we ain't showin no one up around here including you but it is nice of you to say.

Bob:  How ya doin man?  Thanks for scopin this one out and for the great feedback.  We had fun working this one up live.  In fact Tom and Robbie were coming over in the afternoon and earlier in the day I went up in the studio and stumbled on to the chord progression for this one and once they arrived it took off.  We did change the middle part some but other than that it is pretty much the arraingment that we formulated live.

Tom has a copy of this project from early on and he plans to sprinkle some of his magic on it in the future so this one could pop up again with some new/Tom twists to it.

Thanks for all the feedback.  I'll take a look at the muddy guitars to see what I might be able to do towards improving that and still keeping the vibe.

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/22 22:54:41 (permalink)
    Sounds great!  I love the sound of the guitars, and the whole feel and mood of the song.  Great web site too.
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/23 09:50:27 (permalink)
    This does have a bit of a Doors Sound. Really cool tune. Cool and interesting ending. Guitars sound really nice.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/23 10:36:24 (permalink)
    Yo Tony
    CLASSIC DT, two songs for the price of one . Love the percussion on this piece. Give Robbie a big pat on the back. Im diggin the tone of the guitar and the verb used giving it a relly cool space in the mix. I do hear what the others are saying the guitar could use a little bath. Good strong well written lyrics and clean delivery. Like I say, it doesn't have to be old to be a CLASSIC.  GREAT JOB!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/23 16:19:28 (permalink)
    Cool song.  After just hearing a couple songs with the vocals right out front, this one made me want to turn up the vocals, although I can hear them fine.  So I'm not sure...could just be subjective.  Cool transition at 2:34. :-)
    rolifer@verizon.net
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/24 23:55:23 (permalink)
    The percussion is perfect! So often the snares get overdone and this is just spot on.

Jim Morrison would have loved to shoot up and sing this one I'm sure.

Psychedelic music for sure.

Nice one.

Ron
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/25 03:16:26 (permalink)
    Dark, disturbing, unnerving ............. reminds me of that shadowy shape in the closet that beckons one to come closer and meet it face to face.  Strong moody/atmospheric feel for me ......exactly the way you planned it.  I like the sinister guitars too.  I would like to hear the vox bumped up a bit to really narrate this tale.  The changeup threw me so I'm going to have to take another ride on this one ........good work........Ron 
    post edited by savageopera - 2010/07/25 03:17:34

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/26 14:27:50 (permalink)
    Love that change-up @ 2:35 gents! Don't know why, but this tune reminds me of Steppin' Wolf's 'The Pusher'..really nice, moody/ dark. Had the phones on while listening and I love the mix/soundscape presented here! Excellent vocals and guitar playing..yeah..everything. I have to admit I got worried there for a bit as I haven't seen you gents around here for awhile. A great tune to come back with!

Larry
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/26 14:34:59 (permalink)
    I wash going to say Doors meets Tom Waits, or something like that, so similar reaction to above. Pretty cool tune with a nice vibe and some nice guitar tones and such as well. Oh, and as I read the previous post, yeh, the Steppenwolf connection is pretty apt as well, both vocally and musically.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/07/26 14:36:10

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/27 01:47:55 (permalink)
    You open up a can of coolness as usual. Like the tune and feel a lot. One thing though, I had a little trouble hearing some of the lyrics at times here and there and the vox maybe use a little gain riding or leveling. Transition at 2:35 was a little abrupt but worked, maybe something could prepare the listener just a little though?

Good work guys!

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    CreatingNoise
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/27 19:55:14 (permalink)
    Geno:  Thanks for the listen, the nice comments and for checking out the web site.

Tap:  Thanks for listening, the kind comments and a vote for the strange ending.

Janet:  Thanks for checking this one out and for the good comments.  I tried to mix the vox so they stood out well but it is definitely subjective.  I can hear them fine although I know exactly what is being said so I am biased.

Ron (rolifer):  Thanks for putting your ear to this one and for the kind comments.  Thanks for the kind words on the percussion.  Robbie did a great job and I barely messed with his mix, it sounded fine to me.  If only Jim could have held on for a few more decades....
    Ron (savage):  Thanks for listening and for the very colorful comments.  We like to make them a little mysterious and moody if we can.

Larry:  Thanks for putting your ears on this one.  It has been a busy year and we are looking forward to getting back in here more for sure.  Thanks for the kind comments.  It is always very cool to get feedback on what others hear in our tunes.  Steppenwolf is a new one but I've always dug them, they are dark for sure (at least the tunes I've heard).

Dean:  Thanks for listening and for your nice observations.  Tom (McCaffrey) definitely has a lot of different vocal styles to my ear.  He surprises me on almost every tune with some new twist to his vocals.

Legion:  Thanks man, preciate the listen and the feedback and nice comments.  Yeah, the break at 2:35 definitely comes flying out of left field.  That is usually me as I am always trying to hijack our tunes and take them someplace totally chaotic.  I am going to revisit the mix with an eye towards getting some of the mud out and that might help the vox, not sure.  In any case I plan to see what I can tweak here.

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/27 22:44:02 (permalink)
    I really like this one.  Mix seems a bit muddy to me.  Great song and performances.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/07/29 12:22:48 (permalink)
    DT in the morning.  I guess I missed this one.  The break where the drums go ballistic with the guitar is soooo cool.  Yeah, I'm likin this.  These are not the best speakers at the warehouse but they are good enough to get a good idea.  There's that chameleon vocalist again.  Great job guys.  Nice to hear some DT!! Some great guitar work and drums!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/02 06:48:35 (permalink)
    another class song guys. it's all a bit quiet though? does nobody own a limiter in the band?! anyhow, vocally reminds me of Nick Cave at times, and indeed musically, that kinda doomy swampy proto-rock blues thing.

now, that changeover...don't think it works. i mean i love what happens before and after but it's like iTunes has skipped to the next song, y'know? I appreciate this is a signature thing for you guys to do, and the transition back to the original style is fine...but it could be done more musically and subtly i think...

and WTF is that lyric about??!! lol mindtrip...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jfstudio1
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 456
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/08 01:44:00 (permalink)
    Hi CreatingNoise
    Cool intro with distortion gtrs +wha wha
    nive vocals,cool mix
    2.34 change everything
    sounds beautiful, solo  and synths....
    3.34 again same cool riffs, 4.28 cool wha wha solo gtrs
    with delays,auto pan......fade out with distant voices in water...
    Great Work i like it 
    J.Feitor

http://www.myspace.com/jfeitor

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=747192

Project5V2.5,MusicCreator4,WinVista,XiFI,MixYamaha,
    Korg , Fender Strats, Takamine,Amps:Marshall,Fender Deluxe Rev1965,
    karalie7@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 712
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/08 01:58:39 (permalink)
    Hi there, great drumming & guitar. Blessings
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/08 14:32:18 (permalink)
    Just listened on my good earphones and it's a treat!  I like the tune the more I hear it.  Kinda like the Biscuit!  Gheesh!  The solo again.  So cool!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/10 19:22:03 (permalink)
    What an interesting voice line. Janice Joplin sang differently from everyone else and made it, didn't she? 

Why the rhythm change in the middle? Is this a rock opera?

Okay, here is where I am not going to win friends and influence people:

There is one singing sin in my book: old-codger warble. And you use it some. That's where a person tries too hard to add vibrato to his voice. And so he goes overboard and and ends up sounding like an old person who has lost strength in his voice and now warbles because he's lost that tight, even vibrato he had when he was young. You don't do it all the time, but often enough. And rock-singing style doesn't use vibrato anyway.

I've been on this old-codger-warble thing for so long (it's my biggest gripe on this forum--and I accuse almost everybody of doing it, and nobody has agreed with me yet) that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm batty and merely imagining warbles while y'all are all perfectly okay.
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/10 19:24:05

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/10 22:46:51 (permalink)
    Knocked out... ...
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:New Distant Towers tune, Dive 2 the Middle 2010/08/11 00:33:04 (permalink)
    The rythm change is great! Starts out like a Tool change and ends up like a Rush instrumental.

Man I have got to buy a CD. You guys deserve my money for all the great tracks. Never been disappointed.

I could agree about the overall darkness of the mix, but I don't think it matters because all the subtleties stand out nicely, like the muted, spread out bckg vox early on.

Everything is great. The outro deal is trippy. The entire song had me bouncing.

Where do you guys get the historical imagery from? I've got a degree in history but have never been able to channel that in my tunes.

You guys do it so effortlessly, like you were making this music in 1884 or something.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1