PCvsMacs Debates about DAW's and Realistic Orchestral Sounds

Author
dr.hash
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2010/07/20 22:43:31 (permalink)

PCvsMacs Debates about DAW's and Realistic Orchestral Sounds

I have picked up my participation on this forum and am starting to realize what i have been missing out on. 
First the debate about Sonar not being available for MACs there have been so many comments about this and most of them true.  it is true really the only difference between a Mac and a PC today is the operating system.  Of course price and being able to upgrade come into this as well.  Yes every man and his dog uses macs Why? is the question we need to be asking.  Mac is an evil company, so is Microsoft.  The big difference is that Apple have made their product into a must have and a monopoly(of course once again so is Microsoft but they dont marry the operating system to the computer).  This is dangerous because all of a sudden every movie and every song starts to sound, look and behave the same.  Once again were drifting towards techno Nazism.  The only good thing and difference between PC and Macs are prices. 

At least every man and woman can now afford a PC.  This is no longer about what is better because a P.C of any kind is imperative to have, to function in this world.  So YEH PC's.  As i said in another debate,  machines are not perfect Mac's and PC's all have issues.  We build our machines in our image we are not perfect and neither are our machines.  If though, if you like, go to techno therapy you can make a PC hum and purr like a kitten, once again it's not that easy with a MAC.

Now onto the debate about DAW's there is no comparison if you want a DAW that has infinite internal headroom 64bit double precision floating point whatever you call it this works best in Sonar.  Here is where i get controversial Sonar out of all the DAW's that i have listened to and used is the best and i have used and listened to Pro-Tools 8, Cubase when it became se or whatever it is now and i have listened and used Logic 8.  Nothing comes close to Sonar, Sonar does not have the coldness and harshness that the other DAW's that i have mentioned.  It is warmer.  OK so whats controversial about this?  Sound and what sounds good is subjective but i will stand by my comments Sonar sounds the best out of all the DAW's on the market (that i have listened to).  It also comes with the most comprehensive set of tools although a couple of things such as a ring modulator or a decent pitch shifter would be nice.

Finally for my masters thesis i am trying to replicate Strawberry Fields and Because by The Beatles.  I started a debate about realistic orchestral sounds and the like.  What i was talking about though is the future is here.  By putting these tracks together i have started to learn something amazing.  The technology we have today eclipses and we know this, what The Beatles ever had.  What we have lost is the art of production and the art of pushing the limits of the music technology we have.  I'm not trying to put together some pissy midi interpretation of these songs i am trying to replicate them and make them my own by pushing the tools and technology that Sonar offers.  It is working.  The cellos don't sound 100% like cellos or the trumpets and so forth but what i am doing is creating something new and something digital.  Not only will i be using the cello samples, the vst mellotron, i will also sing and play bass and put down real instruments.  Hybridization is the future of recording and it is hear now (bit of an oxymoron that).  What i am also interested in is the use of the Roland variphrase technology and how to use this as my tape manipulator so i can get those haunting Strawberry Fields voices and the 3 part harmony by the end on Because there are nine voices.  How will the Roland Varipharse cope? Will it work? I will let you know.

Wow what we can today do on a laptop and with a mid-price interface, we haven't even touched the surface yet.  I suggest to all you want to be producers and engineers out there to try and put together a Beatles track in DAW just you, some virtual instruments and some real ones and you will learn something amazing and like me you might just become a little more humble.  This is an amazing thing for me because i am known as an angry battle dwarf and some of you have felt that vitriol in other posts but i have learnt something in this last week and i am better for it.  Thank you John, Paul, George and Ringo.  Thank George Martin and Geoff Emerick but most of all thank you Sonar because you could not do what i am attempting and this is controversial on any other DAW.

Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
Peace and Love Benjamin Phillips B.CT http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
post edited by dr.hash - 2010/07/20 23:11:41

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1