Recording levels and clipping

Author
mirk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2010/07/20 23:31:34 (permalink)

Recording levels and clipping

Hello.

I've read a few posts about this subject and it looks like I'll just have to settle for recording low (leaving headroom) so that I don't accidentally clip. I don't have much control over the dynamic range (no compressor before input) and the guitar seems to average pretty low and will randomly shoot up in level on the bass-y top strings and peak and just destroy the take. So the questions about this are the following:

1) Will it matter if my takes aren't very loud and don't really "fill up" the audio clip graphic? It will just look very flat and low as opposed to a fuller "fatter" looking audio clip. Is that okay? I always thought that wasn't good. (but I read that it doesn't matter since I'm recording in 24 bit, whatever that means).

2) If I'm leaving headroom so that I don't clip, does that mean that I should be using Boost11 or some compressor on all my audio tracks that I record at this safe low level?
Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/20 23:46:10 (permalink)
    Correct, if you're recording at 24bit, you don't need to be too concerned about recording a hot signal. I try to record audio at around -24dbfs (rms), depending on how dynamic the source is. And you don't need to use a limiter like Boost11 until mastering - just adjust the gain of each track to achieve a good balance, and if it's too quiet, turn your monitors up :). A final mix before mastering should not really be peaking above -6dbfs, to leave headroom for any mastering processing. So you'll find that each individual track has peaks significantly less than -6, so don't worry if your clips don't "fill up the audio clip graphic" - they shouldn't.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/20 23:51:12 (permalink)
    General rule of thumb. Don't let your recorded tracks get any hotter than say -12 to -18. In 24 bit that is plenty hot to keep above the noise floor. Turn up your monitors or headphones if you need to hear things louder.

You can actually change the range on your tracks where they appear larger by the way, its called zoom.

At the end of your mix there is a process called mastering which, among other things, brings your levels up to a commercial level. Before this, you really don't need to worry about volume just peaking above 0db.

Regarding your guitar suddenly jumping up in volume, that is why a little compression while tracking is not a bad thing. It smooths out those transient spikes.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/21 00:10:02 (permalink)
    Even -24dB in 24bit is a great level to reocrd at. There is no need to record as hot as possible in 24bit
    If I'm leaving headroom so that I don't clip, does that mean that I should be using Boost11 or some compressor on all my audio tracks that I record at this safe low level?
    Thanks.

Absolutely not. Just mix it at those levels. Having all your tracks going to -3 or -6db is horrible when you have more than 5 tracks or so.
    The sum of 10 tracks at equal volume with be more than the sum of one track at that same volume. so the more tracks you have, the lower your faders should be. Its mixing 101
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/21 02:21:26 (permalink)
    Just keep in mind that if you record a too low of a level, you may find that you really have to crank the input section of an insert plugin (if it has one) in order for the plug-in to have any real discernible effect.

While recording level doesn't matter in the same way it does in say, recording to tape, it still effects your gain staging, so it's something to be mindful of. Your recordings certianly don't nee to full scale loud, but it's not very desirable to have a bunch of flat lines either. You should be able to find a happy medium.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    mirk
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/21 02:34:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. No pun intended. I'll try to use it wisely.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Recording levels and clipping 2010/07/21 06:01:55 (permalink)
    Brandon, is there a list anywhere detailing just how much the bundled plugs that come with Sonar expect to "see" at their input?

This would make gain-staging throughout a project that much easier to set up.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1