Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8

Author
btech
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/07/21 00:30:42 (permalink)

Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8

Well as it states in the title, I am sure this is an easy question - I just can't seem to figure it out.

I just got Sonar 8 and a Delta 1010LT card from M-Audio.  I have the soundcard working fine in windows through 5/6 output and it seems fine.  When I go to Sonar 8 though I get no sound whatsoever. 

I'm sure this might be a setting - but someone mentioned in a google search that I did that you need to route the card through a midi synthesizer?  I don't have that, or do i...again I'm a big newbie but willing to learn.

Thanks!

9 Replies Related Threads

btech
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 00:34:16 (permalink)
    Just an added note - i did go through the setup video that is posted on this forum and still have no sound.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 00:36:30 (permalink)
    Check your Audio Options in your options menu to make sure your audio device is recognized and enabled. If you are using the ASIO driver mode make sure ONLY the Delta 1010LT is enabled in the drivers tab. That's a good idea anyway, no matter which driver mode you're using. Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise it's best to have only one audio device enabled in Sonar.
    btech
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 00:41:35 (permalink)
    I just double checked it and it shows only the Delta1010LT as my available driver - there are multiple options on the 1010LT like different channels.  I have no other drivers from any other manufacturer showing.  I saw the playback timing option and set it to output 5/6 which is what I am using now - and it still isn't getting any sound.

I am trying to play the tutorial1 file since I haven't made anything yet.
    Chappel
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 00:59:04 (permalink)
    How are you monitoring the card? Are there speakers connected to it? Here is something in the users manual about that.

"Each Delta interface has a unique number of inputs and outputs which can be used for a variety of
    purposes. By default, analog outputs 1 and 2 serve as your “main” outputs. Connect channels 1 and 2 to the
    left and right inputs of your mixer, powered speakers, or other audio destination."

Whatever output your speakers/mixer are connected to, those are the outputs you want to have as the output of your audio tracks.

If I were you I would stick to using only channels 1 & 2 until you have a reason to use other channels... just to keep things simple.
    btech
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 01:11:05 (permalink)
    Ok I switched to channels 1/2 and you're right it worked once i used the soft synth tts1 and changed all the channels over to output through that.  Is that a normal thing to do?  Do I always have to output through a soft synth and if so are there many different ones?  Any you'd recommend.
    Chappel
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 01:21:10 (permalink)
    If you want to listen to a MIDI track you will have to either output the midi track to an external midi device or use a soft synth. Midi is just numbers, basically, and has no audio all by itself. Sonar comes with several soft synths you can use. The Cakewalk TTS-1 is a general midi type of synth and is best suited for playing back midi files. You can output any midi track to any soft synth so you have a lot of options.

It can seem pretty complex until you get the hang of it (especially since you're using a multiple input/output audio device) so I urge you to stick with it and learn as you go. This forum is a great resource and a lot of information that will help you is already posted so using the Search Forum" feature can often give you all the answers you need.
    btech
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 02:08:20 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your help Chappel.
    Chappel
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 02:25:25 (permalink)
    Glad I could help. And here are a couple of links regarding the Sonar soft synths. If you have the Studio Edition, here are the synths it comes with.

Sonar 8 Studio Edition Soft Synths

If you have Sonar 8 Producer Edition,

Sonar 8 Producer Edition Soft Synths

I use the Dimension LE and Rapture LE synths, Session Drummer 2 and Studio Drums mostly. There are also updates available for Dimension and Rapture.

There is also a forum on the board specifically concerning the Cakewalk Soft Synths for more info.

Cakewalk Instruments
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Newbie question - No sound in Sonar 8 2010/07/21 09:02:13 (permalink)
    btech

it worked once i used the soft synth tts1 and changed all the channels over to output through that.  Is that a normal thing to do?  Do I always have to output through a soft synth and if so are there many different ones?  Any you'd recommend.

Yeah.... all midi has to go to a synth... you can sent the data out to a hardware synth such as a keyboard.....or.... do as most of us here probably do....( at least I do)... use a software synth "inside the box".

TTS is a good all purpose synth that will do a lot and teach you about midi, channels, and stuff like that. You can visit my website for some info on synths that you might find useful.... go to my music recording pages and read through it. Very useful stuff to get you started with midi and TTS.

As far as what synth is best.... I guess that depends on what you are trying to do. There are hundreds if not thousands of synths and players available. I started with TTS and have since spent a bunch of money on some nice sounding synths and players. The better ones will cost a fair amount of money, but the samples they play are worth the money.

Check into the Native Instruments Komplete 6 collection. (approx $500 but pretty nice stuff.)

You can also check out the CAKEWALK instruments. they have a few nice one too...and a bit less money to get in the game. Check out GPO and Dim LE to start.  HERE   I think they are packaging a few of these higher end synths in certain versions of Sonar these days...... I don't keep up with all the promos.

have fun!
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/21 09:08:16

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1