Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button

Author
JelaniGNatural
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2010/07/21 15:29:14 (permalink)

Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button

I've verified this after testing it with several different cwp files... I have no idea why, this just started happening last night. I've even tested it with a blank cwp file with no plugins or even MIDI channels except for one audio channel that recorded 4 measures of blank space. As soon as I click the loop button, it freezes up, and then the program stops responding. I then have to bring up the Windows Task Manager to kill the program.

I'm running Sonar 8.5 Producer on a Windows XP sp3 machine, using a Yamaha mLAN16e interface (inside a MOTIF es6).

I really would rather not have to uninstall and reinstall SONAR, because I don't know what that might do to any of my plugins or other packaged software (Beatscape, etc.)

Is there anything else I can try to remedy this? I do hip-hop production, and using the loop function is a big way that I work.

Btw, if there is another thread that addresses this, please feel free to point me to it... I tried to search for one and couldn't find it.

Jelani Greenidge, a.k.a G*Natural

"Kingdom livin' is a full-time job; every day I be clockin' in."

19 Replies Related Threads

JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 16:19:38 (permalink)
    Oh, I should also say, it's 32-bit, not 64-bit.

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 16:36:39 (permalink)
    I click the loop button, it freezes up, and then the program stops responding

What are your pc specs? I use XP 32 SP3 with Sonar producer 8.5.3. Maybe listing your pc specs might help

using a Yamaha mLAN16e interface (inside a MOTIF es6).

This might have something to do with it
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 16:49:09 (permalink)
    Not sure which specs you're asking for other than the ones I've already posted. Here are more:

PC is, like I said, running 32-bit WinXP sp3. It's using Dual Core at 2.8GHz e7400 processors, and I've got 4GB of RAM.

As far as the version itself, I'm using Sonar 8.5.0.141 ... maybe I need to run the update to 8.5.3 but none of the documentation I saw seemed to address this specific issue. I don't want to run the update just to run the update, but I guess I will if I don't get any answers soon.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 21:31:21 (permalink)
    I use "loop selection" all the time and I've never seen this. Something bizarre is going on. I would definitely update SONAR to the latest version before trying to troubleshoot this. And who knows, the problem may "magically" go away.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 21:33:48 (permalink)
    Just out of curiosity - what are the loop settings?  Ie., how many bars are you looping?

Also - do any of your older projects have this problem?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 21:39:03 (permalink)
    I've tried it with several different settings. I've tried setting it for just two measures, I've tried setting it at 8 or 9, it doesn't matter. Any time I try, it just crashes out.

And yes, I've tried it with older projects. I just started having this problem yesterday, and I've tried it with three or four different cwp files, including new ones that are blank and don't even much data yet.

FYI, I just downloaded the update for Sonar 8.5.2, and that didn't solve anything yet, so now I'm downloading the update for 8.5.3.

JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 21:41:56 (permalink)
    Rather I should say, in the interest of full disclosure, that I downloaded and INSTALLED the 8.5.2 update. I don't want any smart@sses telling me, "oh, well after you download it, you must actually execute the executable."

thanks to those who have responded... I appreciate the help. This sure is bizarre.

ba_midi
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 21:51:40 (permalink)
    JelaniGNatural

I've tried it with several different settings. I've tried setting it for just two measures, I've tried setting it at 8 or 9, it doesn't matter. Any time I try, it just crashes out.

And yes, I've tried it with older projects. I just started having this problem yesterday, and I've tried it with three or four different cwp files, including new ones that are blank and don't even much data yet.

FYI, I just downloaded the update for Sonar 8.5.2, and that didn't solve anything yet, so now I'm downloading the update for 8.5.3.

G,
    Have you changed *ANYTHING* at all on your system lately?  I mean even the smallest detail may help?

One thing that comes to mind is that you may have bad memory and/or some system component with problems (a bad hard drive cable, power supply, etc).    So you might want to try doing a memory test.

But if anything at all has changed, let us know first?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 22:47:20 (permalink)
    Nothing that I can think of.

The only thing that may have affected this, and this is something I'm kind of worried about, is that my machine is in my living room, which isn't air conditioned. And I have a bad habit of leaving it on when I'm not using it. It's been kinda warm lately, I'm wondering if it's been overheating...?

That's the only thing I can think of. I haven't done any Windows updates or anything like that. And I haven't installed any other software besides these updates.

CJaysMusic
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 22:54:15 (permalink)
    If your cpu was overheating the slightest slightest bit, your pc would turn off. Its a built in safety mechanism. Otherwise your pc would blow. So i don't think its overheating, but don't rule anything out, so download a temp monitoring app like this http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ or this http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan-Temperature-Monitor/3000-12565_4-10765074.html

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    ba_midi
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 22:57:05 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

If your cpu was overheating the slightest slightest bit, your pc would turn off. Its a built in safety mechanism. Otherwise your pc would blow. So i don't think its overheating, but don't rule anything out, so download a temp monitoring app like this http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ or this http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan-Temperature-Monitor/3000-12565_4-10765074.html

Cj

It's also true that if a CPU fan is "intermittent", that would cause very weird problems without a full blown overheat condition.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 22:59:19 (permalink)
    JelaniGNatural

Nothing that I can think of.

The only thing that may have affected this, and this is something I'm kind of worried about, is that my machine is in my living room, which isn't air conditioned. And I have a bad habit of leaving it on when I'm not using it. It's been kinda warm lately, I'm wondering if it's been overheating...?

That's the only thing I can think of. I haven't done any Windows updates or anything like that. And I haven't installed any other software besides these updates.

I think you said this started recently ...  is it when the warm weather kicked in?

Did you check (or can you check) your CPU fan and power supply fan?

Heat, in general, is really bad for a computer - as are power issues.

I'm not sure why it's only affecting "looping" though - that would be weird.  It may be a corrupt registry or bad DLL.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

CJaysMusic
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:02:54 (permalink)
    You think maybe a registry cleaner like CCleaner may help him http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/help

I us it for registry cleaning every few months or so. It a pretty good free program

Audio Blog
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:03:14 (permalink)
    ba_midi

CJaysMusic

Cj

It's also true that if a CPU fan is "intermittent", that would cause very weird problems without a full blown overheat condition.

Well, the overheating thing is completely wrong and newer boxes have fans that are "intermittent" by design. My fans barely spin until I start using a lot of CPU.
    JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:10:33 (permalink)
    Okay, well here is something interesting.

I've gotten the 8.5.3 update, and I don't know if it's the update or because I'm just now trying it in this order, but I can get it to function as long as I set the loop parameters first, either by using the "Loop and Auto Shuttle" dialog box or by simply right-clicking on the ruler at the top of the track, selecting "Loop" and then "Set Loop Points."

Once I set the loop points it seems to work fine, but if I just click the box or select "Loop On/Off" without actually selecting loop points, It immediately crashes, even before I have a chance to set the loop points or move the transport location manually or anything.

So I guess I'll work around this by making sure to always set my loop points first... but still... it does seem like it shouldn't do that.

????

JelaniGNatural
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:12:45 (permalink)
    Oh and for the record, I was having problems with my audio interface even before I installed SONAR and I did a manual registry cleaning with the help of a Yamaha tech... not saying that automatically solves everything, but it does lead me to think it's probably not a registry issue. Maybe I'm just being biased because I don't want to spend any more time doing that, and I don't trust registry-cleaning utilities.

Nevertheless... if this continues, I might just give it a try.

thanks y'all.

CJaysMusic
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:17:09 (permalink)
    before I installed SONAR and I did a manual registry cleaning with the help of a Yamaha tech

Maybe that is the problem. did you save a back-up of your old registry.
    Did you have the problems after your cleaned your registry with this Yamaha tech?
    Cj

Audio Blog
    ba_midi
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:42:15 (permalink)
    10Ten

ba_midi

CJaysMusic

Cj

Well, the overheating thing is completely wrong and newer boxes have fans that are "intermittent" by design. My fans barely spin until I start using a lot of CPU.

You missed the point.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:Producer 8.5 Crashes Whenever I Use "Loop Selection" Button 2010/07/21 23:45:43 (permalink)
    JelaniGNatural

Okay, well here is something interesting.

I've gotten the 8.5.3 update, and I don't know if it's the update or because I'm just now trying it in this order, but I can get it to function as long as I set the loop parameters first, either by using the "Loop and Auto Shuttle" dialog box or by simply right-clicking on the ruler at the top of the track, selecting "Loop" and then "Set Loop Points."

Once I set the loop points it seems to work fine, but if I just click the box or select "Loop On/Off" without actually selecting loop points, It immediately crashes, even before I have a chance to set the loop points or move the transport location manually or anything.

So I guess I'll work around this by making sure to always set my loop points first... but still... it does seem like it shouldn't do that.

????

If you mean you click on the LOOPING icon before you set the actual loop points and are in playback mode, that could be problematic (subject to the audio driver and many other variables) because it is, in effect, looping over and over within the same beat.   Some audio devices may not handle that well.

It's definitely better to set loop points first, then turn on looping.

Though that alone may not explain the 'cause', it may mitigate the problem at least.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1