"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/23 23:45:45 (permalink)
zungle

My comment was limited to the fact that chord progressions don't constitute a song, by what I have read before and should be common sense.

Because todays society seems so into the nit picky technical side what is a song............?(And everything thing else we  think we are knowledgeable about)

Let me put this out... (nicely) in many circles, where musicians are not limited in their chordal knowledge , by their technique or constrained by main stream thoughts of music.............

Many songs are written and performed using only chordal progressions which within themselves are carrying the melody, not in scaleular sequence, but chordal and tonal relationships ...............some of these progressions are the melody.... and some are melody-less in all ways?  

This has been seen within jazz circles for decades.......... 

There are many prog artists out there doing the same.......

Now some may debate is it a "Song" or an "instrumental"?

But that also opens another argument............

Is it a melody or .............just repeated scale? .... or sequence.........?

The whole idea or realization of a song.........is very open to conversation.........

For me........just because  something can or cannot be copy written or published cannot be taken as absolute law or.......... FACT......................as to what is a "Song"

History has shown many cultures,  Races, Religions an Artists have different ideas of what  ...........

"Song"...............................means to them..

Just my 2........

Better make it  3 cents.............
I agree 100% !!

I recall Himalayan monks singing and making sounds with their bowls. And their voices and gutural sounds wouldn't class as "lyrics", but they repeat them verbatim!

Ditto for flamenco music, specially when there's dancing, and clapping.

And some Hindu music, and of similar elder cultures, where the music is wriiten, yet never on detail, but mainly as a sketch to be followed.

I think that if any thing has been pinned down it is usually for commercial reasons, and not just in music, most everything is like that, I think.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:"?" about BAND IN A BOX is this considered 2010/07/24 13:51:15 (permalink)
zungle

History has shown many cultures,  Races, Religions an Artists have different ideas of what  ...........

"Song"...............................means to them..

I would think they'd all agree that a song is a musical composition featuring the human voice. Can't really be called a 'song' without 'singing'..can it?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1