I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2)

Author
Butch
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
2010/07/22 07:44:20 (permalink)

I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2)

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I posted a thread about the buggy plugins in Sonar Producer 8.5.  There were three distinct responses:

1.   I agree, the new plugins suck, I wish they would fix them.

2.   They work fine for me, therefore you must have done something wrong.

3.   There is actually nothing wrong with your plugins and you are mistaken that they don't work. (Really!)

I purchased the Producer Edition because of all the awesome plugins it came with and had to pay extra for it.  They are not working.  I contacted tech support and got the typical "go away" response, "Try reloading them".  I did...it did nothing.

In frustration, I bought Ozone 4 in hopes of getting simular plugins.  Guess what?  Ozone 4 works PERFECTLY!  No problems at all!  Isn't it sad that the plugins that come with Sonar aren't working for me but a third party software company can make ones that work flawlessly?

I think I should get a refund for the difference in price between Studio and Producer since the plugins I bought Producer for don't work and I had to spend $200 on third party software to get something that does.

Butch
Let's make some art!

27 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 07:55:05 (permalink)
    Which ones?

The Limited Preview 64 Eq?

Or maybe the Limited Preview 64 Multi Band Comp?

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 09:14:58 (permalink)
    I think I should get a refund for the difference in price between Studio and Producer since the plugins I bought Producer for don't work and I had to spend $200 on third party software to get something that does.

Which ones aren't working? We also need your computer specs and soundcard information.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 09:46:34 (permalink)
    daveny5

We also need your computer specs and soundcard information.

Not needed, cause the plugins he's talking about behave the same way no matter how powerful your system is.

By the way, Mike already gave us a clue.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 09:51:25 (permalink)
    Jose7822

daveny5

We also need your computer specs and soundcard information.

Not needed, cause the plugins he's talking about behave the same way no matter how powerful your system is.

By the way, Mike already gave us a clue.

Well, excuse my ignorance, but is Mike saying the LP-64 and LP-64 multiband are limited time demos? Mine are still working.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 09:59:33 (permalink)
    I'm saying that they glitch the "preview" when you tweak a setting.

That's all I'm saying.

:-)

Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:05:50 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

I'm saying that they glitch the "preview" when you tweak a setting.

That's all I'm saying.

:-)

Is that what he's complaining about?

I found a way to livewith that but it's a long time since I used either of those plugs tbh and I can't remember what I did.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:12:06 (permalink)
    You can use Sonnitus FX EQ to search out the parameters you wish to use in LP64 EQ.

;-)

Butch
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:15:18 (permalink)
    The ones in question are:  Vintage chanel, percussion strip, linear eq, multiband compressor, tube leveler and boost 11.

I not talking about glitches, I mean adjust settings, close it, open it back up and all the settings are back to default.  I mean plugins that don't do what you would expect a plugin of that nature to do.  I mean just plain don't work, as in, useless to me.

As far as my computer, it is a PC audio labs Rok Box quad core 2.66, 4 gigs ram, yada yada....It's a professional, made for audio computer.

Once again, if Ozone 4 works perfectly, I would say that proves that the problem is with the Sonar plugins and not my machine.

Next time, I'll know...just buy the studio edition and get quallity plugins elsewhere.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:17:31 (permalink)
    you should have read my blog :-)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:45:35 (permalink)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 10:58:35 (permalink)
    Hi Butch,

The chances are mate it's a system setup/user error.
    Often a re-install of Sonar will solve most problems.
    Not always but often.

Are you running 32bit or 64bit?
    Often 64bit can cause issues if your system/Sonar isn't setup correctly.

Knowledge is power so the more info on your setup the better.

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    Shane_B.
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 13:06:08 (permalink)
    Butch

The ones in question are:  Vintage chanel, percussion strip, linear eq, multiband compressor, tube leveler and boost 11.

I not talking about glitches, I mean adjust settings, close it, open it back up and all the settings are back to default.  I mean plugins that don't do what you would expect a plugin of that nature to do.  I mean just plain don't work, as in, useless to me. 
    I just discovered the settings going back to default problem the other day. I thought I was going nutso. I would make an adjustment, hit the space bar to play my project, and bang ... my plug settings would go back to default. This even happens if I click off the plug screen and on to Sonar's main window then hit play. At first I thought I was clearing the value by hitting the space bar, but that's not the case. I've noticed this on Boost 11 64, Tube Leveler 64, and Linear Compressor 64.

Tip: After you make an adjustment, click on another knob or slider to get the plug window's focus off the control you adjusted. That 'usually' works for me now that I discovered this little glitch, but not always. Or, save your settings as a user preset every time you make an adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Shane

rpmfd
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 15:29:07 (permalink)
    I'd like to chime in here, and say, I'm having a similar problem with GPO4. The mod wheel (in the aria player) keeps getting reset some how. I was correlating it to the space bar but, I wasn't sure. I'm running the 64 version. I'm not sure what the problem is though?
    retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:08:40 (permalink)
    rpmfd

I'd like to chime in here, and say, I'm having a similar problem with GPO4. The mod wheel (in the aria player) keeps getting reset some how. I was correlating it to the space bar but, I wasn't sure. I'm running the 64 version. I'm not sure what the problem is though?

Could be you have zero controllers/ searchback checked.
    Look in Tools/Project/Midi Out
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:41:56 (permalink)
    ce1982

rpmfd

Could be you have zero controllers/ searchback checked.
    Look in Tools/Project/Midi Out
    I think it's GLOBAL Options -MIDI
    Could be you have zero controllers/ searchback checked. Look in Tools/Project/Midi Out

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    ba_midi
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:45:22 (permalink)
    chilldanny

Hi Butch,

Not always but often.

Are you running 32bit or 64bit?
    Often 64bit can cause issues if your system/Sonar isn't setup correctly.

Knowledge is power so the more info on your setup the better.

We all have different approaches to solutions, but I actually don't recommend reinstalling until other options have first been worked through.

More often than not, the solution can be found in a less intrusive way than reinstalling.

Throughout the years I've been on this forum (7 now?), I've seen people go through all kinds of hoops trying to solve a problem.  Then, someone will suggest the 'real' solution and it turns out to be simple.

Reinstalling can create its own set of problems if not done right, or just make matters worse - and is time consuming.

I think it's better to be "deductive" about finding the solution to problems.

Well, that's just my 2 cents lol.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:48:12 (permalink)
    rpmfd

I just wanted to +1 what ce1982 mentioned ... the "reset controllers" option may be at cause there.

But I actually keep that checked and just make sure I put the right controller value in the track at the start.  That makes it "explicit".   There are times one may want to "reset controllers" (CC 1 is a good example, or Pitch Bends, etc).
    Without that checked, a track may start playback using the "last received controller value" - and that may not be desirable.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

KeithS
    • Total Posts : 182
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:49:12 (permalink)
    Butch

Next time, I'll know...just buy the studio edition and get quallity plugins elsewhere.

Ah, the irony.  Boost 11 was once included as a free plug-in only with the home studio edition of SONAR.   

Keith
    SONAR X1d Producer Expanded (64 bit), Waves Platinum  
    Home built PC Intel i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 MoBo
    16 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
    TASCAM FW-1884
    EEE-1394 Legacy driver
    PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card 
    2 ASUS V249H LED Monitors.

retired_account
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:49:28 (permalink)
    ba_midi

No, it's actually OPTIONS/Project/Midi Out

ba_midi
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:51:42 (permalink)
    Butch

As far as my computer, it is a PC audio labs Rok Box quad core 2.66, 4 gigs ram, yada yada....It's a professional, made for audio computer.

Once again, if Ozone 4 works perfectly, I would say that proves that the problem is with the Sonar plugins and not my machine.

I've been kind of following this thread, and I don't doubt you're having the problems, but I wanted to say that it definitely is not the norm.  Most users are not experiencing this (that doesn't mean you're not, of course).

But that does suggest you MAY have a corrupt installation -- or at least the bundled plugins somehow got corrupted.

This is one of the few cases I would suggest a complete UNinstall, and REinstall.  It would eliminate the 'obvious' -- ie, if the installation was corrupt.

Also - there's a possibility the source was corrupt.  Meaning -- if you were installing from a DVD that the files on the source (DVD) were corrupt.  This could be true of downloads as well.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

ba_midi
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:53:37 (permalink)
    ce1982

ba_midi

No, it's actually OPTIONS/Project/Midi Out

Heh, you probably right - I'm not at my DAW.  I just knew it wasn't  in "Tools" ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

chilldanny
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:56:46 (permalink)
    chilldanny

Not always but often. 

echo.....echo.............echo...........

just joking Billy

* Windows10 (x64), Focusrite Safire Pro24, Sonar Platinum (x64) * MacOS High Sierra, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 *

Danny M
    ba_midi
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 16:58:43 (permalink)
    chilldanny

chilldanny

Not always but often. 

echo.....echo.............echo...........

just joking Billy

What? What? What ...?

LOL  (I got ya :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/22 20:37:14 (permalink)
    rpmfd

ce1982 got the answer for you when he corrected his first reply to Options>Project>MIDI Out - then un-check "Zero controllers."

That is Error #1 with all new GPO users, so you're not alone in being stymied by that at first.  The Garritan Libraries make use of CC1 in an unorthodox way, in that it's the volume/timbre control for most of the instruments (percussion instruments not included, their volume is controlled only by velocity.) 

If you take a look at the manual, they try to make it clear that something absolutely critical in making GPO come alive is to use CC1 continuously on your tracks.  It's not a set-one-time volume control like CC7 which controls the fader for an instrument. 

You need to constantly keep your mod wheel moving to varying degrees in emulation of the non-static, always changing volume of a live musician.  In Sonar, that crucial instrument volume control will keep re-setting to zero every time you stop your project - hence the need to always have that setting un-checked when recording with Garritan Libraries.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/23 00:23:26 (permalink)
    Butch

"Close it, and open it back up".

I assume this is closing the project, then open it again and settings are gone.

Why not say something like "For many plugins, settings are not saved and restored with project properly".

"Plugins don't work", is kind of strange description for what is really happening.

How did you describe the problem to Cakewalk support?
    Did they file a bug report on this, or did you do that?

I intend to upgrade to Producer next time and want it fixed until then, if there is a problem.

Some of the mentioned plugins have been around for too long for such a major failure to exist. At least unlikely...

I had this problem with Kontakt a couple of month ago, but settings were not even default they were strangely long sounding notes. This turned out to be Kontakt bug which now was fixed in 4.1 june release.

I thought it was Sonar itself, but there are many pieces of software that work together.
    Butch
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/23 06:57:21 (permalink)
    When I bought my machine from PC Audio Labs, the OS was already loaded and tweaked.  Don't think for a moment there is a guy at PCAL loading the OS on each individual machine.  They made one good hard drive, tested and perfected it, and then just burn copies of it over and over again.  I don't think that is the problem.  The same goes for the DVD that Sonar comes on.  They just burn copies of the "master".  So there are no corrupted files on my DVD.  If there were, then a reload would just reload the corrupted files.  When I load Sonar, I don't do anything unusual, just accept the defaults and let it run.  I did reinstal the plugins, as tech support suggested, with no results.  And once again, if my new Ozone 4 installed and is running perfectly, then it's not Sonar in general that has the problem, it's the plugins.

At this point, I don't care any more.  Ozone 4 is awesome!  I don't need any of those plugins from Sonar.  Like I said, next time I'll buy the studio edition and use quality third party plugins.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:I think I deserve a refund (Buggy plugs pt. 2) 2010/07/23 08:28:43 (permalink)
    Butch

When I bought my machine from PC Audio Labs, the OS was already loaded and tweaked.  Don't think for a moment there is a guy at PCAL loading the OS on each individual machine.  They made one good hard drive, tested and perfected it, and then just burn copies of it over and over again.  I don't think that is the problem.  The same goes for the DVD that Sonar comes on.  They just burn copies of the "master".  So there are no corrupted files on my DVD.  If there were, then a reload would just reload the corrupted files.  When I load Sonar, I don't do anything unusual, just accept the defaults and let it run.  I did reinstal the plugins, as tech support suggested, with no results.  And once again, if my new Ozone 4 installed and is running perfectly, then it's not Sonar in general that has the problem, it's the plugins.

At this point, I don't care any more.  Ozone 4 is awesome!  I don't need any of those plugins from Sonar.  Like I said, next time I'll buy the studio edition and use quality third party plugins.

I always buy the prodfucer edition and there is "always" something in there that is not in Studio that I can use and enjoy. I still bought Ozone 4. Even if the 2 L64's worked properly I "still" would have bought Ozone because it;s a great product. I also bought Alloy which is a perfect companioon to Ozone 4.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1