Alesis Mastercontrol + Sonar 8.5.3 X64 + Windows 7 X64 ...... *mini* review .....

Author
TomG
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
2010/07/22 09:12:21 (permalink)

Alesis Mastercontrol + Sonar 8.5.3 X64 + Windows 7 X64 ...... *mini* review .....

Hi al

Just spent the last  2 - 3 days  audio and stress testing my new Alesis Mastercontrol  [ A.M.C ].

Hardware

- Sonar 8.5.3 x64
- Core i7 4.0gig CPU
- A.M.C
- T.I Chipset on MB
- A.M.C  " 3.5.3.8671 x64 Driver "
- Layla 3G  8.5 x64 Driver  [ PCI ]

In short:-

- this A.M.C is literally built like a tank  [ kudos to Alesis ]
- build quality is superb  [ again kudos to Alesis ]
-  3.5.3.8671 Driver is rock solid
- @ 64 Samples it delivers a ASIO RTL of 5.8ms  [ kudos to Alesis for getting  TC to write the drivers]
- jog wheel is a joy - serioulsy - one of the most nicely weighted jog wheels I've ever used

Stress Testing " Project ":-

-  @ 64 Samples ASIO RTL of 5.8ms
- 100 Sonar Tracks
- each Track with 5 Sonitus EFX - Comp / Rev / Delay / EQ / Mod
- all  500  EFX on
- all  100 Tracks Live Input Monitor Enabled
- CPU Meter hovers around  %76
- no crashing

Audio Quality:-

NOTE  -  I did not and do not use the A.M.C built-in pre's and have not tested them yet - seriously Alesis - what were you thinking with those gain controls  !?!?!?]

I have spent something like  10 - 12  hours  A/B Testing between the A.M.C and my Layla 3G.

All testing was done from my  VLZ3 Pro into the A.M.C Line Inputs and the Layla Line Inputs

All testing done at  24 Bit / 44.1k

A variety of sources were A/B tested - acoustic / drum loops / samples / vox / bass / finsihed projects  etc....

In short:-

Noise  -  the A.M.C is at least just as quiet as the Layla 3G
Low End Freq - no perceptible / hear-able differnece
Mid Range Freq - A.M.C just a whisker less-harsh than the Layla [ but not by much ]
Hi Freq - A.M.C is noticably  "smoother" and "less harsh" than the Layla 3G - hi freq sound more natural / real

Its early days and my use and testing will continue but so far this thing is awesome

Summary:-

- plenty of I/O
- control surface is a joy to use  - great faders - great buttons - brilliant jog wheel - 16 ( ! ) assignable buttons
- builti-in dedicated Sonar integration - fully configured for Sonar in seconds
- audio quality at least as good as my Layla 3G
- super stable driver x64 drivers
- stable at huge project loads with very low RTL latency
- you can buy this thing for as low as $US530 p.p at [ compuplus ]

Obviously this unit is not for everyone - and  I know a lot of people will not buy it simply because its not a  " hi-end "  or  " pro " brand ......... but .........  if its features appeal to you, and you listen to your audio with  your ears and not your eye's  it is staggering that you can get (i) a fully featured gorgeous to use control surface  +  ( ii )  a very hi-quality audio interface for this money.

Well done Alesis and TC.

tomg

post edited by TomG - 2010/07/22 09:24:29

2 Replies Related Threads

Primetime
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re:Alesis Mastercontrol + Sonar 8.5.3 X64 + Windows 7 X64 ...... *mini* review .... 2010/07/22 10:06:53 (permalink)
    I've been using my Mastercontrol now going over one yr, and I've never had an issue, I think it's a great piece of equiptment..My only wish is that they would add plugin control within the sonar preset, instead of having to switch from control surface..Maybe Alesis would address this in the future, an 8 fader extender would be nice also..
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Alesis Mastercontrol + Sonar 8.5.3 X64 + Windows 7 X64 ...... *mini* review .... 2010/07/22 11:18:49 (permalink)
    Great review and I agree with everything you said! I've using the AMC for a few months now and it's improved my work flow tremendously. To my ears it sounds better than my Delta 66 card.  I can't believe this unit isn't popular, it should be. I think part of it boils down to gear snobbery. How soon people forget that Alesis virtually changed the recording world with the ADAT.
    IMHO it's a great unit and like you said, it's built like a tank.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1