IT People - I need some help.

Author
Psalmist35
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1471
2010/07/23 12:20:27 (permalink)

IT People - I need some help.

I'm an estimator for an Electrical Contracting firm.  I'm working on a design-build project for the Government.  The facility is a patient care clinic.  We been given some client features which incorporates the image below.  What I do not understand, although I have seen at my own doctors facility, is how the computer monitor to the right in the image below would be connected.  Typically, what I have seen - for example with my recent fiasco with my oral surgeon.  Upon my visit, a panoramic x-ray will be taken of my teeth where the x-ray machine is controlled by it's own computer.  After the x-ray, I will be taken over to an exam room that has a computer monitor as shown in the image below and the surgeon is able to bring up my x-ray images to review in the exam room.

My question is how would this monitor/mouse be networked since I have never seen a computer terminal in the exam room at my doctor's office.  I have no idea how the computer monitor and mouse are connected.  Is this done via eithernet CAT 6 cable or am I totally misunderstanding something here?  What is the max distance for a VGA/DVI cable?  Thanks for your help.

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music

15 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 12:35:35 (permalink)
    how the computer monitor to the right in the image below would be connected

My guess is that the computer is under the keyboard hidden by the box under the desk. Once you have a place for the PC, ethernet in the wall behind it or wireless router will provide connection. It would be much more flexible to include a PC in each room running networked charting/imaging software than to try to run remote terminals from a distant PC. That is the way I have always seen it done in clinics.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 12:53:31 (permalink)
    It looks like the computer is actually part of the display like this:

http://store.apple.com/us...y/imac?mco=MTAyNTQzNjA

The CAT5 is probably run through the "arm" that the display is mounted to. 

In most cases if using a series of these there is a control room with a "Server" computer and a network so all data can be transferred or pulled up on any computer in on that network.

Are they going to install Sonar on it? lol

Psalmist35
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 12:55:47 (permalink)
    Thanks!
    I figured there has to be a well hidden terminal somewhere.  However, as quickly as technology changes it's always safest to consult with those that are most in touch with the latest of tech.

Thanks again,
    Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    jasonthurley
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 12:59:47 (permalink)
    In that case I would design a wireless hub and a series of these computer terminals (that come with wireless mouse and keyboard-standard) that is managed by a server style computer.......

Have fun

I do consulting as well if you need... shoot me a message
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 13:51:19 (permalink)
    It looks like there is some kind of box under the desk.  Probably one of the new generation of thin client workstations.  Primarily its is a smart terminal, possible has no associated disks, boot from a network server probably with a Citrix thin client application.  Looks and feels like windows but all the work is done on the server.  The wall it is mounted on could well hide a service conduit, lots of medical establishments built this way now.

There is the possibility that having said all that I may need to refer you to my signature.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 14:55:05 (permalink)
    I have had occasion to work and install a wired networked system where the monitor actually contains the computer. It is a very thin and compact unit specially designed for this application.  We simply drop a Cat5 jack in the wall nearby, a short factory cat5 jumper plugs into the network card on the computer monitor and they are connected. These systems are medical as well and incorporate touch screen technology.  We actually have 3 out of 4 jacks on the wall plate in use for our gear... what we call the server, gets one of the jacks back to the switch.

We install all the IT gear... switches, ports, and wiring into an electrical room or telecommunication closet that is close by...or more often central to the facility.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jasonthurley
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 15:14:57 (permalink)
    One more comment:

Copper is expensive and wireless is cheap
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 19:10:56 (permalink)
    jasonthurley

One more comment:

Copper is expensive and wireless is cheap

For security reasons, I don't know how much hospitals depend upon wireless for systems transfering sensitive data. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 19:22:49 (permalink)
    as someone who works in a hospital we have both wired and wireless networks. both have security, of course...everything is done via pc now though.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 19:38:12 (permalink)
    I'm surprised that they don't have specs to estimate from, actually.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/23 22:39:35 (permalink)
    Kinda related.
    I had to get a tooth pulled awhile back and went to the closest dentist's office, one I'd never been to before.
    Took some X-rays, and within minutes the doc was in there viewing the images on a monitor mounted on the chair.
    Made a few comments, decided on how to proceed, went to finish up with a different patient.
    The dentist's assistant then asks me "do you want to watch TV while you wait?" and switches the monitor to DirecTV.
    I asked her to put it on the History Channel.
    Too cool.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/24 09:03:17 (permalink)
    57Gregy

Kinda related.
    I had to get a tooth pulled awhile back and went to the closest dentist's office, one I'd never been to before.
    Took some X-rays, and within minutes the doc was in there viewing the images on a monitor mounted on the chair.
    Made a few comments, decided on how to proceed, went to finish up with a different patient.
    The dentist's assistant then asks me "do you want to watch TV while you wait?" and switches the monitor to DirecTV.
    I asked her to put it on the History Channel.
    Too cool.

Yeah... we go to an expensive dentist now too. The old guy we went to before did it all the old fashioned way until one day he wrapped his car around a tree at 90 mph and, although he didn't kill himself, he did serious damage to the nerves in his arms and decided it was time to retire. The replacement he recommended us to was an ALL female dentist office.... no males work there at all. Very high tech place... with the monitors and instant viewing of x-rays on the monitors and in-mouth cameras to show you what they are planning to do and why it needs to be done..... I'll will have  to ask about them getting the on chair screens for TV..... that sounds cool. They have a TV on the wall that is viewable from the chair.  Up until now, I usually put in my earbuds and listen to music, instructing them to tap my shoulder if they need to communicate with me.

Does anybody miss the old rinse bowls?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Psalmist35
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/24 20:19:56 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the comments.  There has been some very helpful information. 
            NoKey

Umm, You'd be surprised with the number and dollar amounts of the projects we bid like this.  Good projects will have a features matrix giving information on the desired square footage of the facility they want, number of rooms and any specific needs such as special fotcandles of lighting, SIPRNET/NPRNET communications, maintenance areas  . . . .  Typically no floor plans.  Tacticle shops (Military) will have even more specific needs.  Many times we go into these blind but have been very successful with out designs. 

Rich

My Music
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/26 00:50:59 (permalink)
    Psalmist35

Thanks everyone for the comments.  There has been some very helpful information. 
            NoKey

Umm, You'd be surprised with the number and dollar amounts of the projects we bid like this.  Good projects will have a features matrix giving information on the desired square footage of the facility they want, number of rooms and any specific needs such as special fotcandles of lighting, SIPRNET/NPRNET communications, maintenance areas  . . . .  Typically no floor plans.  Tacticle shops (Military) will have even more specific needs.  Many times we go into these blind but have been very successful with out designs. 

Rich

I've been away for decades on such things.

Seems to me that nowdays the government doesn't really know what they want and subcontract even that!

Well, it's a new game. Good to hear you are making out ok.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    File077
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re:IT People - I need some help. 2010/07/26 09:47:05 (permalink)
    On a similar note, I've owned and sold off two pharmaceutical software engineering firms.  We specialized in tertiary care (small doctors offices usually with specialties).

In our first company, we partnered with a dentist provider that used Dentrix.  If you provide for dentists, it is definately great software to take a look at.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1