jamming past your prime?

Author
guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
2010/07/23 13:33:44 (permalink)

jamming past your prime?

I've been really trying hard to get with people to start playing in a live, original project. As a guitarist. Just have the itch, and the wife is supportive. It's been a long time, I did use to play out a lot.

So, I've been doing Craigslist ads, met and jammed with few people, most are in their 20's. I'm 40, look younger (people tell me).

It's funny though, a lot of ads, people will actually say no one past a certain age. Kind of makes me feel old, I guess I am.  Thing is, I'm pretty immature, and I feel I can hang with anyone. So I'm tempted to lie about my age.
So far, the people I have jammed with aren't at my level. So it's been dissapointing anway. They say Craigslist isn't the best place to meet people. But I am going to jam with an original alt-country band, and they sound pretty good. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have thoughts on playing out at a certain age? Is it neccessary to jam with people your own age?

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........

22 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 13:40:45 (permalink)
    I'm over 21 and I (virtually) hang with Mooch.

'Nuff said.

On a more serious note, it's impossible to jam with people your own age as it highly unlikely that you will find musicians born at exactly the same time as you (let alone the differences in time zones and shoe styles).
    bapu
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 13:44:34 (permalink)
    OK, seriously.

Music 'should' transcend age. But when I was about 18 I jammed with the future drummer of Ambrosia (Burleigh Drummond). We were in a band for about three weeks. He was almost out of college. He was beyond my skill level at the time. Not sure I've caught up with him yet but I keep trying.

I'm not big on lying (it can come to no good in the end). Be yourself, let them be them and when you find the right people it will be fantabulous.

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 13:50:08 (permalink)

I am 40 - and I virtually hang with Bapu

Nuff said

oh and your not to old to keep playing - Sir Paul MCcartney is doing it - hes like 139 years old

David Lee Roth -
    Kiss
    John Denver
    Sonny Bono
    Bruce Springsteen
    John Mellencamp
    Eagles (sometimes when one of them wants a new mansion they come out with a crappy album and tour)
    Ozzy

well you know - don't worry about the age of who you play with -- your not breaking the law by playing music with guys in their 20's and 30's

Rock on Dude!!!

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 15:04:14 (permalink)
    Finding people to jam and play with has been hard at any age. Most that I met were not very serious. So I mostly joined established bands.

The one band I was in that we did form from scratch so to speak, the 3 of us had played in a 5 piece group previously before it imploded.  Me and the drummer are about the same age, the bass player was 11 yrs older but looked like he was much much older than that. He lived on Marlboro cigarettes and Mountain Dew soda.... I kid you not, that was what he had all the time..with the occasional McDonalds cheeseburger because he didn't have too many teeth left at that time.   The expression "Rode hard and put up wet" comes to mind. In a music store a sales guy asked me if my "grandfather" was our bass player when he saw Glen take a bass off the wall and go to plug it in....   ha  ha... grandfather..... we had a good laugh over that. He never drank alcohol or smoked weed, but in a later band, he developed a nasty nose habit that landed him in prison for selling to some narcs.

Playing with a bunch of kids..... if you are older, I don't care how immature you claim to be.... there will only be so much teenage crap and drama that you will be able to tolerate. 

A buddy of mine.... in his 40's just hooked up with a band all at or above his age group.... established and looking a bass player.  I was offered a guitar gig recently as well in a country band... but I don't feel like beating it down the road again. Jam...yes...gigging..no.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/23 15:13:25

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 15:10:10 (permalink)
    I am 59 and both Bapu and Mooch are young upstart punks, but I would happily jam with either of them.

I don't play out much anymore, but I did a one-off show this month in which the oldest performer in the ensemble was 61 (for once I wasn't the oldest guy in the room!) and the youngest was 13 (child prodigy, and just the coolest kid). It was a good show, well-received and a whole lot of fun.

I'd say make no secret of your age, because anyone who thinks you're too old is probably too immature to enjoy jamming with anyhow.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 15:33:05 (permalink)
    They might be mentioning age just so everyone feels connected to their choice of music genres.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    guitardog247
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 15:59:56 (permalink)
    I don't actually want to play with "kids". My experience is that anyone around 22 and younger, knows "everything" and are very cocky. I was at that age.

I totally understand people want to hang with people they have stuff in common with. If they are into 420 and chasing chicks, they probably don't want my married with kids butt hanging around cramping their style.

But at my age, I just want to get with competent musicians and make music, play some shows. I don't care how old they are. I guess I am concerned about people ruling me out, just because I'm 6 years older than their "limit", but their bass player is bald with teeth missing but he's 25.....

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 16:05:14 (permalink)
    I'm 56, for now. I haven't gigged since I was a youthful 51. It just seems like a lot of trouble to set up a bunch of expensive equipment to play for four hours, break down, get to bed late and STILL have to keep up with domestic chores. Having said that: I won't stop playing until they put me 6 ft under, and when I retire I plan to put together an oldtimers rock/blues band. You're NEVER too old. Buddy Guy is over 70. B B King is 112 or so.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    guitardog247
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 16:05:20 (permalink)
    Oh, BTW. Don't mean to offend anyone. Nothing wrong with being bald. I played with a balding drummer when I was 21. And he was unbelievable. He's too busy right now, and we always had artistic differences .......
    still do actually.

UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 16:49:12 (permalink)
    It's been a little over a decade since I last performed live.  My last gig was playing at a college for a friend's project.  The fact that I was older than their parents was odd, but not a significant factor. 

Actually, I started going bald at 19.  During the reign of the hair bands, I auditioned a few times only to be told that no one would want a bald guy on stage.  It would be ruin the band's "look". 

That was a nice way of saying, "Your visiage is so unbelievably ghastly, so utterly repulsive, so horrifically vile, so amazingly putrid, so revoltingly heinous, so disgustingly loathsome, and so horrendously repugnant that the only possible response to seeing your wretched head would be to vomit uncontrollably, possibly until passing out in a coma, and thus finding, if only for a little while, the sweet release of unconsciousness.  Oh, and we liked what you played in the bridge on that last song.  Do you think you could teach it to our real drummer?" 
    guitardog247
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 16:59:09 (permalink)
    Funny Bubba.
    now people just shave their head completely and it looks cool.
    Phil Collins was a big rock star, he was bald, short, pudgy......

I realize some bands are worried about "image". Which is silly. I feel like telling them: look, the chance of you getting signed to a major label and being the next big thing is less than one in million. Just play music and forget about it.

UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 17:09:24 (permalink)
    I was talking with a teenage relative a few years ago and she mentioned a band she liked.  I talked with her about some of their songs (I had actually heard them before).  I asked her what she liked about this band.  She said, "Well, in this video, the guitarist wore this cool shirt and his hair was wavy and in this other video, the girl had on this purple top that had this design on it and blah blah blah..."

I asked, "What about their music?"

She said, "Oh, it's okay."

I then gave up on her generation. 
    guitardog247
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 17:16:04 (permalink)
    UbiquitousBubba

I was talking with a teenage relative a few years ago and she mentioned a band she liked.  I talked with her about some of their songs (I had actually heard them before).  I asked her what she liked about this band.  She said, "Well, in this video, the guitarist wore this cool shirt and his hair was wavy and in this other video, the girl had on this purple top that had this design on it and blah blah blah..."

I asked, "What about their music?"

She said, "Oh, it's okay."

I then gave up on her generation. 

That's just a teenage girl thing. All generations have been like that.

It's curious though, what kids like. My son is 8 and is into music now. We don't have cable TV, and he's not allowed to watch many shows. Of course we have internet. So he knows about Pandora, and will find bands that way. He seems to like stuff that is "energetic", whether it's rock or black eyed peas type of pop. But he listens to the music, and points out riffs and guitar playing that he likes. He definitely leans toward hard rock, and finds acoustic music boring......

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 17:48:01 (permalink)
    "Well, in this video, the guitarist wore this cool shirt and his hair was wavy

I think that's why Bapu has this bromance thing for me

(shakes head)

strange man that there Bapu

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

bapu
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 18:03:54 (permalink)
    It would be ruin the band's "look". 

Show them this band:

Ed Cassidy(sp) was Randy California's Step-Father.

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 18:18:33 (permalink)
    I've found that the biggest obstacle with age is the different values.
    The only musicians I find that play at my calibre (read EGO!!! lol) have career aspirations in the industry.  I gave up the aspirations and don't want to deal with all the PR, networking and negotiations.  I won't tour because I won't give up the day job with a salary and benefits.  I just want to rehearse, get up and play locally! 
    Everyone else I meet without career aspirations isn't good enough for my tastes.

Plus, as I get older I'm getting more obnoxious.  Kids these days can't handle me. 

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 22:08:40 (permalink)
    but their bass player is bald with teeth missing but he's 25.....

Did you say.........."Bald" 

Now I'm gonna have to get angry...............
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 22:10:20 (permalink)
    Everyone else I meet without career aspirations isn't good enough for my tastes.

Now I know I really suck............

I have none of those problems............
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/23 22:33:58 (permalink)
    I've been thru Madison a few times over the years, and the music scene always seemed pretty vibrant to me. Here's a suggestion. Stop looking on Craigslist for guys to play with. Too many blind dates are bad for your attitude. Try this instead. Start stopping by the local music stores and get to know the guys who run the places, and not the kid trying to sell you Monster cables. Don't be afraid to sit and play a guitar for a bit. Don't pull out all the tricks here, just some solid playing to show anyone listening that you have some decent chops. You'll eventually get someone to slide by and ask who, or if you are playing with anyone. Have your number ready and be open to leaving your number with the guy who runs the place. Alot of the smaller stores have a guy that knows everyone worth knowing in the local music scene, and being a nice guy that he wouldn't be afraid to recommend to someone he knows is a good thing. Be that guy.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/24 01:08:25 (permalink)
    guitardog247

It's curious though, what kids like. My son is 8 and is into music now. We don't have cable TV, and he's not allowed to watch many shows. Of course we have internet. So he knows about Pandora, and will find bands that way. He seems to like stuff that is "energetic", whether it's rock or black eyed peas type of pop. But he listens to the music, and points out riffs and guitar playing that he likes. He definitely leans toward hard rock, and finds acoustic music boring......

Similar story here - my son discovered Journey when he was 6 or 7 and likes them so much I think he knows their songs better than I do.  It's neat to see his enthusiasm.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/24 11:35:03 (permalink)

Don't be so pessimistic, slug! In a city the size of Toronto, there are undoubtedly thousands of players in your situation: guys with day jobs who have no aspirations of stardom but plenty of talent.

It's simple math: new musicians are added to the pool every day, and that's been the case for the past 60 years. What happens to the 99.9% who don't become stars? They don't vaporize. They join the workforce, raise families and mow the lawn on Saturdays, just like you do. They're out there, it's just a matter of figuring out how to connect with them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:jamming past your prime? 2010/07/24 15:44:57 (permalink)
    Bitflipper, you're right as usual.
    I honestly haven't looked that hard for like-minded musicians, preferring to wait for the odd offers to fall in my lap.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1