RANT: Band Woes

Author
minimustangs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2010/07/23 20:56:06 (permalink)

RANT: Band Woes

I lament that I am now embroiled in very serious and potentially destructive band issues. Not so much with the PLAYING end of things...there isn't a problem there whatsoever - it's all the subsequent trappings....

Let me expand...

I have in the past worked as FOH engineer for various acts. None terribly noteworthy, but some had potential. I also worked for a major international A/V company working everthing from FOH to I-mag camera to...well everything. So I have a handle on tech and gear. It is usually my pleasure to offer this knowledge to the band I participate in, after all a band is a team effort, right?

Due to the growing complexity of the tech we carry and the instruments I now play it's become increasingly difficult to handle the sound tech, light tech, guitar and keyboard chores..and do each well and without distraction.  A suggestion to out source the tech table to an individual other than one of the 4 performing musicians was brought up and I welcomed this. I earnestly set about explaining all that I  had learned.

I was disappointed to say the least(edit: I suppose my own shoes are big ones to fill, and my expectations are high). At rehearsal said techhie dude would sit and look cool for the first set, occasionally making adjustments. Often I would find strip EQ's cranked to some outrageous value (+10dB for Bass...on vocal mics), so I would correct them and explain why that was a no-no. (I am aware of the dynamic of teacher/stundent relations as I teach guitar). I was advisesd that techhie guy was "trying to give <insert performer name here> MORE of something.  I explained again that gain and monitor sends were for that type of adjustment.

By the 3rd set - and usually at least that many doobs on his part - feedback wasn't a question it was a recurring experience. Every week after rehearsal I would zero the board and set it to reasonable levels. Again the follow week our monitors souned splendid until tech guy started twiddling.

See the pattern? (and that I'm a patient person?)

I borught this up several times to the band collective...I lost count of exactly how many times. As I feared another show date arrived, and still techhie guy was employed. This time though instead of tweeter cracking ear piercing high freq feeback, we were experiencing a low freq howl that would make a wolf blush. Again the bass EQ's were set to absurd levels, and I again corrected them on a break. This time I photographed their position and showed this to another band mate. (It's important to note that in my weeks of tutoring this idiot I explained a feature of our 31 band graphic EQ - which had a realtime analyzer bought in. I said... "Feedback?' No problem, punch in the RTA and it tells you whic hfreq slider  to drop to eliminate the ring). When confronted, techhie guy said the "bass guitar the bassist was at fault - he's too loud". The bass rig was running without a D.I....just the amp wash for fill. At this m point I ad commanded the bassist to turn the sub woofer amp OFF to elimiate that as a possible variable. NO change, but still it was blamed, in part.

Anyways... so techhie guy has to go. Again I get resistance with some worn out comment that "we live in musical Siberia, you wont find a replacement..."  But of course, I have.

So, after a hiatus of a week I get to rehearsal - with the expectation that a town hall meeting on this and other subjects will preceed the actual musical portion of the evening. What I get was beyond belief... I see al my tech gear - PA, processors, monitors, amps..and guitar gear. piiled in a corner. Hmmm is there a message there? Well now it gets completely confusing cause Fearless Leader (F.L.) welcome me with open arms and a handshake - as he always does - and we head up to rehearsal room...where there is a replacement mixer, power amp and floor monitors (poor quality units at that). I'm told that "we" want to reduce your stress of setting tihngs up - but could you set up this new gear... WTF? I ends up ripping up all the wiring, replacing the "new" console with my own, and rewiring the floor monitors - only to find that one of the "new, replacement, stress reducing" floors has a busted jack. Less stress, sure. F.L. is telling me it all worked "just fine" when he was up here mid week. I find that hard to believe since the compressors that are wired to inserts on the strips were all plugged in reversed...nothing getting thorugh them, but they worked fine....according to F.L.

I suppose I see the writing on the wall - I'd have to be an idiot myself not to.

Should I care? It's not like this band is my only project because it's not, although the other outfit only gets together a couple/few times a year..and they are quite a ways distant from home, whereas this band that is causing me such strife is local...less than 1/2 hour from door to door.

I admit I've taken on a lot of band work, mentioned above. I do it for the love of it - and I believe that my contributions enhance and improve the band unit. In my more than 30 years of playing though I honestly have never confronted a situation like this...the way I see it is that one guy (F.L.) needs to be so much in control that he would go out and buy DUPLICATE equipment - if not exactly the same, similar in function.

I'm left somewhat speechless as what I should do.

- too old for this sh_ _ ...
                                         S/

27 Replies Related Threads

edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 04:24:27 (permalink)
    Put you gear in your truck and tell them the going rate for setting up a PA before you leave.

Make sure you 'hire' the tech support in your next band.

Phil

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 07:49:20 (permalink)

Why not enjoy being a musician>?

Tell them what they expect to hear... "I don't know how to use all that new gear"...

besides the new compressors probably sound better wired in reverse.

Let it fly.

Let the new guy worry about it.

:-)

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 08:38:32 (permalink)
    Drama..... man have I lived that story to one degree or another in several bands.

It seems that bands attract people who claim to know how to run sound or lights. Just because someone can maybe play a guitar and has played in a garage band somewhere before does NOT qualify them to run sound. The bands I was in had soundmen that somehow qualified because they had a nice stereo system at home..... huh?

They eventually got to the point where it sounded OK..... as indicated by clubs hiring us again and people not running for the doors. I think they were hired because they worked cheap and drove the truck to the job, set up the gear and tore it all down again..... we walked in, sound checked and played. So in that respect it was worth it.

In the last band, a house band...cool gig BTW.... good pay, close to home.... no load in/out.  Our soundman on that gig was an unemployed (musically) guitar player that we knew. The sound was not quite as good as it could have been. The telling event was when we hosted the country show down, and one of the bands insisted on having their sound man on the board. None of the contestants were allowed to sound check so our band did the soundcheck and their soundman worked the board with our "tech" watching. From the stage, what a freaking difference. I could hear the PA actually doing it's job.... the bass was pumping, the kick was thumping, the vox, the guitars the piano, all of it was sounding good from  where I was at. Of course, our sound man was badmouthing the other guy.... saying he'll blow up the speakers if YOU let him run the system like that.... their sound guy was actually a tech for some other bands before he worked with these new guys..... As it turned out, their band won the night's competition, went to the regional/state level and won there, and went to the national competition in Nashville, and won the grand prize there too.

$50k and a recording/booking contract. they played the house gig for us one weekend that we were off. The people told us they were glad we were back the next week. This band had some really talented players in it.... but on the road, they were booked into dives, paid very little, and could not stand each other after a few months of living in an RV that they bought with the after tax winnings. The band broke up in less than a year.

OK back to the house band.... drama began to build in our band over the sound, and some other issues. Several had quit and come back, then they wanted to fire the other guitar player and asked me to make the call. That didn't turn out well....  at the meeting with him, not a single person would fess up to wanting to fire this guy... they made me look like the bad guy..... a short time later...I got "the call"  the band wants to talk to you...... by that time I had my fill of the drama and the fighting and the back stabbing. So after work, I went to the club and got in the way we normally did..... climbing through the ladies room window.....(don't ask) ..... I loaded all my gear into my truck and left a note that said in essence....I QUIT.  I took the cassette player out of the rack and my gear off the stage.  That band finished the year with about 3 more personnel changes before imploding.

Life was instantly de-stressed when I quit that drama scene.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/24 09:04:17

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 09:52:51 (permalink)
    The only drama I recall in any band was when a guitar player (who booked the gig) kept the money and told us that he never got paid.

We did not find out that he got paid until about 6 months after he left the band and mutual friend told us about it.

BTW, that guitar player went on to be a rock journalist and interviewed many of the greats (JP, JB, EC etc.).

Guitarhacker
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 11:21:03 (permalink)
    bapu... you missed half the fun of being in a band..... the drama. If it wasn't between the members... it was the girlfriends..... oh the stories and memories that brings up.... like the time I was setting on the steps at the front door on a break, the band mates were inside with their girlfriends having a good time, and across the parking lot... here came their wives......ouch.....

there was drama, and fireworks that night, especially after the guys had the manager throw their wives out..... I am not kidding....! I was unattached at the time and stayed out of it.

BMI/NSAI

minimustangs
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 14:27:12 (permalink)
    I'm snickering at the therapy I'm getting from reading about each of your trials. Not laughing at you or them, but gaining strength from sharing the pain. I laugh as I type...LOL. Phil's initial reply - in essence pack up and shove off - should be my action, and just the fact that I'm still uncertain of my eventual reaction to all of this means I really need my head examined.

The therapy continues :)

In the mean time, while buying time to see how this Shakepearian tragedy (where the part of me is played by either Willliam Shatner or Sean Connery...maybe both in the DVD optional storyline version!) will play out, I've forged a new partnership with band unit #2 - the long distance deal. While we'd be playing less shows, the arrangement is such that even if I am to jump ship from unit#1, the financial rewards from #2 would more than make up any losses from #1.

I'm not sure which face F.L. from #1 is showing, and I'm cautiously looking as far down both forks in the road as I possibly can. One path ends up with termination of my participation in project #1 - voluntary or not. Based on the management of the project, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Path #2 is business as usual, and I choke on my difficulties and as mike_mccue says "enjoy being a musician". That has it's merits, and if you knew me I could derive a twisted pleasure from letting F.L. deal with all the tech crap that has been transparent simply because I did it for them. From sorting out XLR/TRS configurations to repairs processors, supplying DI's...and of course the now famous compressor I/O business... could put me in my happy place. Not that I enjoy being difficult by any stretch, but the lesson that would come out of all that..would give me immense pleasure, as it would happen in my naturally quiet and understated way.

S~
    post edited by minimustangs - 2010/07/24 14:28:41
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/24 19:51:01 (permalink)
    Why be diplomatic at this point? Lay out your demands. Explain the situation to the FL and band and force them to make a choice. New Techie will obviously lie and screw to death anyone to get the gig. FL is lost and the band doesn't know or care. Let them learn the hard way if they can't see through the smoke and mirrors.

Craig DuBuc
    minimustangs
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/25 08:19:48 (permalink)
    Oh I laid it out Craig, in spades.  The answer was - silence. Like an ostrich, everyone ignored virtually everything. The response - if that's what it was - was the pile of my gear I mentioned. That and the new, inferior gear. If I was dating a chic and she piled my stuff on the front porch I'd get the meaning. When I pulled in and discovered this, that's just how I took it. I was ready to pack and go. The handshaking and Hi-5-ing "brotherly love" just spun me around in the moment.

I'm pretty sure I know WHY the equipment got piled up, in fact the more I think about it the more sure I am that this was the catalyst... In laying out the "State of the Nation", I essentially pointed a very large finger at the tech's failings and stated that I was wiping my hands of any future PA problems, since the solution to the myriad of those was pointed out time and again, but not acted on. I also made a somewhat (you think?) inflammatory comment:

"So, as ****ty as this is going to sound - if I'm not comfortable with tech's use of my gear, I have two options: remove it OR find someone who can run it. Until any of you can come up with several thousand dollars for the band's own gear....I kinda have the upper hand on this one. Just try and tell me I don't.
    "

That, I'm sure probably precipitated the gear pile.

There is no question that F.L. doesn't have a clue - and the one he has changes from week to week - usually depending on the amount of dope he's smoked (I'm not knockin' guys who light up just because I don't, but when it affects my bottom line and not just their state of mind, then it becomes a problem).

We've got options for techs, and the reality is I will screening them. The other guy was "a bud" in more ways than one, chummy and another smoker.

I think it was very clear to band dudes Thursday night of the difference a good tech makes. Sitting in for a tech dude: me of course. I'm sure everyone here can make a system sound good or even great. It's an art much like playing an instrument - if I didn't enjoy playing so much I'd probably hire myself out to tech. Anyways, we had good solid monitors all night and not one ring - nada. Of the 4 pieces of gear F.L. bought in, two of them - a monitor and the console - had to be removed. One floor had a bad jack, and the replacement board - suitable enough - wouldn't connect up to our gear with the cables on hand.

As sits now, I'll grab the rest of my gear next week, and come our next show the following week, I'm going to leave system headaches to F.L.. Tough lesson to learn, but it has to happen. He'll remember to pack his weed and papers, but I guarantee he wont think about how many DI boxes we need....

HA. And I haven't even touched on the excess baggage we carry...it never ends.

S~
    post edited by minimustangs - 2010/07/26 06:47:56
    Guitarhacker
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/25 08:50:48 (permalink)
    You're a glutton for punishment. Still hanging with them after all that?  They must be a really good band or a super great bunch of clueless guys.....

Maybe it's just because I have been through it multiple times, I know how this usually ends...... that's why you should cut your losses now and leave.

Find a band that appreciates the quality a good FOH tech can deliver. One that is more concerned about having all the gear and spares, and putting on a superb preformance, as opposed to making sure they have the proper amount of weed, papers, and Jack Daniels Old #7.

BMI/NSAI

minimustangs
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 07:00:15 (permalink)
    Or option #3...a combination of those but primarily the area I live in is isolated and to find guys with ...
    a/ GOOD gear
    b/ space to rehearse
    c/ interested in the same genre of music..

...is a tall order. Pickin's are slim, Slim.   :)   Compromises and concessions have to be made but even they have to have limits. When it's 20 minutes to even the smallest town and an hour in any direction to a larger, not even major center.... well, you get the idea.

I think any of you with a clearer head from the other side of the screen, given the scenario and isolation, would probably put up with a little more B/S. It took me long enough to locate this group, and this has really been the first headache, but it's worthy of reflection and concern nonetheless.

Reality is, I know I should pack up, but for the short term, I won't. Even though I KNOW I would in an otherwise musician-loaded geography. It's not like they/we/or I are U2 or The Stones, but we can definitely show this area there's more than one pony in town.
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 17:37:56 (permalink)
    Crg

Why be diplomatic at this point? Lay out your demands. Explain the situation to the FL and band and force them to make a choice. New Techie will obviously lie and screw to death anyone to get the gig. FL is lost and the band doesn't know or care. Let them learn the hard way if they can't see through the smoke and mirrors.

Somewhere along the line you have to let it happen ... after all your daughter will leave one day, and so will the son! You got that part, right?

New techie is probably cheaper and there is always something different and interesting ... each person is going to sound/do things differently, and some folks might like this or that better! You gotta know that!

But yeah ... the difference between the good band the the rest? ... knowing what they are doing, not just changing at will to a nobody! Or a kid someone is sleeping with!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 17:58:50 (permalink)
    I no longer work as a live music sound guy for money. There is no money.

My friends that persist survive an endless cycle of being praised for their good sound and hard work... and being fired for asking for what amounts to a living wage. They always get hired again after the band suffers a series of disaster gigs... and then the cycle repeats itself.

Crg
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 19:04:10 (permalink)
    minimustangs

Or option #3...a combination of those but primarily the area I live in is isolated and to find guys with ...
    a/ GOOD gear
    b/ space to rehearse
    c/ interested in the same genre of music..

...is a tall order. Pickin's are slim, Slim.   :)   Compromises and concessions have to be made but even they have to have limits. When it's 20 minutes to even the smallest town and an hour in any direction to a larger, not even major center.... well, you get the idea.

I think any of you with a clearer head from the other side of the screen, given the scenario and isolation, would probably put up with a little more B/S. It took me long enough to locate this group, and this has really been the first headache, but it's worthy of reflection and concern nonetheless.

Reality is, I know I should pack up, but for the short term, I won't. Even though I KNOW I would in an otherwise musician-loaded geography. It's not like they/we/or I are U2 or The Stones, but we can definitely show this area there's more than one pony in town.

If you're going to stick with it, it's time to play producer if it's worth that much to you. In addition to laying down the law and providing the system, you're going to have to find a way to educate the group and move them in the right direction. I assume you're looking to work with a band that might go somewhere. If they don't know where and how to go you can direct them. Whether the personality conflicts are uncorrectable or not I don't know. But in order to put a band together there are always a variety of issues to address. Unfortunately all these issues relate to how tight the Band and system is. If they're attacking the system it's just a symptom of what's going on with the band. So... with that thought in mind, controlling things from the FOH, is it worth it to stay?  

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 19:05:34 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

Crg

Somewhere along the line you have to let it happen ... after all your daughter will leave one day, and so will the son! You got that part, right?

New techie is probably cheaper and there is always something different and interesting ... each person is going to sound/do things differently, and some folks might like this or that better! You gotta know that!

But yeah ... the difference between the good band the the rest? ... knowing what they are doing, not just changing at will to a nobody! Or a kid someone is sleeping with!

Time for your Meds Mosh?

Craig DuBuc
    Moshkiae
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 19:26:31 (permalink)
    Hi,

You supplying the mds CRG?

Make it a little sunshine, or one of those nice and clean sandoz tablets ... something worthwhile for me to enjoy some Mozart and some CHB ...

(rest of the post removed since some people do not enjoy literary examples and ideas.)

post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/26 20:08:14

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 19:34:00 (permalink)
    "Too bad so few of you will never see the big time I have seen and been at,"

Hey Mosh,
     You're the literary expert here... how do YOU think the rest of us feel when you write this sort of bull hockey?

You seem very enthusiastic about your opinion that you are *better* than everyone else here. I find it annoying.

very best,
    mike

Crg
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 19:53:15 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

Hi,

You supplying the mds CRG?

Make it a little sunshine, or one of those nice and clean sandoz tablets ... something worthwhile for me to enjoy some Mozart and some CHB ... and then I won't need to say anything else in the CH ... because everyone else is right and Mosh is always wrong.

Too bad so few of you will never see the big time I have seen and been at, and do not wish to be there at all! Best of luck is all I can say! But if you do not know how to stand up for yourself, like that cheapa$$ band that can not talk to a sound person, they might as well fold ... they are already dead and screwed up with no direction or chance at learning one. Maybe Malcom McLaren will show up and help them someday!

In the end, it is not about the people and the sound equipment ... it's a lot more about the person/people behind it ... because the rest ... kinda attaches itself to it.

Yeah ... meds! ... right! Let the band die and go work with someone that wants to do it better and right!

No, I'm not supplieing the Meds Mosh. How about you dude? Do you want your situation relate to this one? My daughter will leave one day? My son will leave one day? Some kid you're sleeping with? Excuse Me?

Craig DuBuc
    Moshkiae
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 20:05:29 (permalink)
    Crg

No, I'm not supplieing the Meds Mosh. How about you dude? Do you want your situation relate to this one? My daughter will leave one day? My son will leave one day? Some kid you're sleeping with? Excuse Me?
    The point was ... that sometimes, kids want to do it themselves, and there is nothing you can do ... regardless of how much you know, or whatever good intentions you have.

At that point in life you have 2 choices ... get bitter, or move along ... and you'll do a lot better to move along and let live!

It will be sad for 10 minutes ... and then you're fine ... !

Moshkiae
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 20:12:35 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Hey Mosh,
    You're the literary expert here... how do YOU think the rest of us feel when you write this sort of bull hockey?

You seem very enthusiastic about your opinion that you are *better* than everyone else here. I find it annoying.

very best,
    mike

**** Mike ... stop twisting my words and find a reason to say something nasty!

My point was that life is not always rosy at the top ... and the poop still stinx up there! And sometimes, things change, and ... it might be better, but when a band/person can not communicate, 9 out of 10 times they are wrong, and you know it!

The grass is always greener on the other side ... let them waste the money, and wish them luck! Or why the **** would you be upset about something like this if you had done your very best and helped the most there is? ... because you're a jerk?

That would be a different story!

Why do you have to take something personal when it is not meant to be?

Moshkiae
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 20:15:07 (permalink)

post edited by Moshkiae - 2010/07/26 20:17:19

minimustangs
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 21:25:46 (permalink)

If you're going to stick with it, it's time to play producer if it's worth that much to you.

It's funny you say that, because I initially saw promise with these guys. I still haven't received a straight answer to the one question that seems pretty important to answer- and that question comes from the producers chair...

"What's your target market?"

That was the first line in the first email I had with F.L., I kid you not.

The actual responses have been varied, but inconclusive. One of the 4 (and I'll hint to you there's a 5th guy...that's another story) "gets" what I'm trying to extract, but he's not F.L. and seems to get vetoed all the time because he's about 10 years the junior.

I've expressed concerns that the format (dictated in part by material choice) isn't in line with the type of show we SHOULD be going after, given the type of shows that get booked in this area of the country. It's hard to provide a framework to success when so many of the obvious, given, SUCCESSFUL choices cover bands (which we are) over the years have made work, these guys are resistant to do. We have no shortage of heavy tunes, classic rock being our genre, that's no surprise. But even for me I see the mix as TOO heavy in one sense...for one type of venue, and in some instances...the material that's there isn't cohesive enough to say we're 100% heavy rock either. The logical action is to get people up dancing, and various band members have complained that isn't happening - but then told they need to play more "danceable" tunes...the answer is almost always the same "Oh, we don't want to be sell-outs". For fcku sake, we're not the Rolling Stones selling out for tour sponsorship. Wake up, this is a service - just like taking your car in for an oil change.  How well you perform the service dictates how well you get paid in the future (and the tech dude can affect that).

When faced with the opportunity to have a good tech come up from a local city.. with a price tag of $200 for his service, sirens and whistles went off "Oh where is the money coming from for HIM"?

I said: "You build it into your price...like every other expense should be built in..." (that's another concept that seem hard to sell - building expenses into your fee. I don't get why it's so hard... they one guy - F.L. - is a contractor...he wouldn't cost out a job without knowing HIS cost!).

Same guy then says to me "We're not worth $X + $200!" and my response was "...but we're worth $X ($200 less) to play and sound like crap? People will pay for "bad" but the wont pay for "good"? Come on... they'll pay what we tell them we charge, and it's not their business how we arrive at that figure". The tourist dollars in the area are huge. And their decisions keep those dollars out of reach. Classic case and point: The Lions  are having a dance this coming Saturday. Poetnially a great payout, but we'll never see any of it because the dance crowds with money are in the 35-60 year old bracket and they want to spend bucks, the men want to drink a lot; the ladies want to drinka nd get up and shake it. We cant do that. See song choice for an explanation on that.

As far as educating them, that's going to be tough with a stranglehold as F.L. seems to maintain. I get that he wants to hold on to the reigns, but for the second time in the last 6 months I've just witnessed his inability to Be the Big Man. My arrival made us a compliment of 3 guitarists. One too many, and when you add to that the fact that for no reason I can see we have a full blown percussionist ( close your eyes and imagine Highway to Hell or Shook Me with bongos. I kid you not.) OK recover from that...back to the 3 guitarists. One guy had to go, and it was apparent it was "D".  We took (at least what he was told) a couple weeks off. This was to give F.L. time to meet with him and cut him. 2 weeks go by...we're rehearsing as usual. Things are really starting to happen. On the 3rd week, "D" shows up about 1/2 an hour into a rehearsal. F.L. didn't say squat to him over the past couple weeks. From behind the kit without getting up, over the PA and infront of a couple "guest" he says "look man we don't need 3 guitars, sorry, we'll help you carry your stuff out..."

I was stunned. SO were the other 2 guys. The only reason I'm taking time typing this... What happens Sunday? "Fired Tech guy" calls me and say "Hey, are we on for Thursday...?" OK, I just asked was this idiot canned a couple days ago and I was told he was. Is he that thick? or is this a recurrence of the "D" situation.

They need someone to step up, but that person has to be allowed to step up and tell them whats good and whats not good. A producer, yes. A yes-man...no. This first question that person, that producer will ask is - what is your target market.

Arrgh.

**for some reason, when quoting the previous reply, my new post got buggered up in the quote. Too much to retype.**

post edited by minimustangs - 2010/07/27 07:07:05
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/26 23:48:39 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

mike_mccue

Hey Mosh,

very best,
    mike

**** Mike ... stop twisting my words and find a reason to say something nasty!

My point was that life is not always rosy at the top ... and the poop still stinx up there! And sometimes, things change, and ... it might be better, but when a band/person can not communicate, 9 out of 10 times they are wrong, and you know it!

The grass is always greener on the other side ... let them waste the money, and wish them luck! Or why the **** would you be upset about something like this if you had done your very best and helped the most there is? ... because you're a jerk?

That would be a different story!

Why do you have to take something personal when it is not meant to be?

Well, Mosh, I don't think you made your point very well at all. BTW, I don't take it personal... I see it as an affront to everyone.

very best,
     mike

Crg
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/27 19:06:07 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

Crg

The point was ... that sometimes, kids want to do it themselves, and there is nothing you can do ... regardless of how much you know, or whatever good intentions you have.

At that point in life you have 2 choices ... get bitter, or move along ... and you'll do a lot better to move along and let live!

It will be sad for 10 minutes ... and then you're fine ... !

If that makes sense to you within the context of this thread you are one sick puppy dude.

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/27 19:18:55 (permalink)
    They need someone to step up, but that person has to be allowed to step up and tell them whats good and whats not good. A producer, yes. A yes-man...no. This first question that person, that producer will ask is - what is your target market.

I'd have to say they're too immature to listen. Since it's a cover band, yes they should go for the bucks and the popular style.
    They do no original music? You're dealing with a band power trip. FL is going to imprint his own style and order and be totally sure he is creating the best personal band variant. If they were an original act developing their own persona, style, and material, I could see it. But for a $200 dollar paycheck, it's not worth it.

Craig DuBuc
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/29 04:10:57 (permalink)
    bapu

The only drama I recall in any band was when a guitar player (who booked the gig) kept the money and told us that he never got paid.

We did not find out that he got paid until about 6 months after he left the band and mutual friend told us about it.

At last.....

At last - a role model for Strammy

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/29 04:17:26 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Hey Mosh,

Mike, this has got to stop.

This is the Coffee House remember....

We can't have you coming in here and talking sense now can we

What will the neighbours say

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:RANT: Band Woes 2010/07/29 06:34:05 (permalink)
    Hi

That reminds of one time when I saw an Ice Cream van and a fish.

The fish said to the Ice Cream van "Could I have a lime flavoured ice lolly".

The van didn't flinch. Well it was only an inanimate vehicle what did you expect?

The salt shaker and pepper mill changed hands a few times that day I can tell ya!
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/29 06:42:56

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1