Cakewalk tech support is aces with me!!

Author
sleepingangel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2010/07/24 02:08:48 (permalink)

Cakewalk tech support is aces with me!!

I called cakewalk tech support today because right smack in the middle of recording a simple midi part the audio dropped out completely and the lights on my power studio 250 went out. I am running Sonar 8.5 producer on a 4 year old Dell XPS. Very strange never happened in the 4 plus years I have been using that interface. I tried to reboot where upon I was faced with the blue screen of death.  I called up and spoke with David Guerette who stayed on the phone with me for almost 40 minutes while the problem was diagnosed and solved. After disconnecting my power studio and reinstalling the drivers. He had me move the whole interface to the usb port in the front of my computer. Along with that change was making sure that projects were recorded and saved on the hard drive of my computer instead of the terabyte drive which was also connected. In my ignorance I had the recordings going straight to the drive.  Probably amazing that I didn't have more trouble sooner! I truly appreciate the time David took with me as well as the patience he displayed while I followed his directions. I was in a panic while on hold thinking that something was going to have to be replaced and either way it didn't fit in my already worn out pocketbook....THanks to David I am up and running again and can continue the work I was in the middle of doing when this wierd incident happened.....Maria

2 Replies Related Threads

digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Cakewalk tech support is aces with me!! 2010/07/24 02:28:10 (permalink)
    That's very good to hear, Maria.  I've never actually used Cakewalk support before except to get a serial number now and again.  I am curious though about moving the usb to the front of the computer.  I didn't think that it made any difference where which usb port one used.  Did he have any comments on that?

Regards

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    sleepingangel
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Cakewalk tech support is aces with me!! 2010/07/24 16:58:51 (permalink)
    Yes, I had the same question. I tried to follow what he was saying...something to the effect that the connection meaning what the mother board is reading from it and sonar could get fried. And apparently there's a lot more going on when you are writing to the teryabyte drive (which was connected to back usb port) because it was recording what I was playing to that drive instead of the c drive which I have since changed it to. So, in  reality the fact that it is working correctly now could be just because I am writing to c drive and not that it's connected to front but I'm not taking any chances!! He said it could be a one time thing or the start of some problems with my computer and the usbs.  At first he said, it might be time to get a new computer as it's 4 plus years (sad to say the shelf life is so poor !!)  but when he found out it was am xps with 3 gigs of ram etc. He said it should be hardy enough! I'm just glad that so far so good. I started recording a song and just to test things out used three instances of kontakt 4. THe cpu got up to 45 % but no crashes and so I'm hoping that won't happen again.
    Take care
    Maria
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1